Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will you do with this: [KVM|8 vCPU|16G Ram|10G SSD|7T Traffic@$37/yr]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What will you do with this: [KVM|8 vCPU|16G Ram|10G SSD|7T Traffic@$37/yr]

liujasonliujason Member
edited January 2019 in General

I bought this BF special plan from Virmach, and used it for MySQL + Redis hosting. Now the 10GB storage is too small for my data, so I switched to other VPSs.

Here is the problem: What can I do with a VPS that has more memory than storage?
What will you do?

Edit: I also have a 50G VPS at the same location and can mount with sshfs. But it would be very slow for small file transfer.

Edit2: Decided to use it as a Rstudio-Server.

Comments

• uhuuhu Member

sudo sshfs -o allow_other,defer_permissions,IdentityFile=~/.ssh/id_rsa [email protected]:/ /mnt/moredata

Thanked by 2ehab eol
  • uhuuhu Member

Actually, what I'd really do is transfer it to uhu so that he/she can idle it as hard as possible.

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • muffinmuffin Member
    edited January 2019

I will idle it if I were you

Thanked by 2eol sanvit
  • eoleol Member

@uhu said:
    Actually, what I'd really do is transfer it to uhu so that he/she can idle it as hard as possible.

Same.

Thanked by 1uhu
  • @uhu said:
    sudo sshfs -o allow_other,defer_permissions,IdentityFile=~/.ssh/id_rsa [email protected]:/ /mnt/moredata

Sure, I also have a 50G VPS at the same location and tried to mount with sshfs.
    But if you try to use it for PHP hosting or it will be VERY slow.

• @muffin said:
    I will idle it if I were you

That's what I'm doing.

Thanked by 2eol muffin
  • may i ask what was the cost? and are you thinking about transferring?

• uhuuhu Member

OK, you have to be sensible about what you put where, use CDNs, etc, but it can work.

Probably.

• liujasonliujason Member
    edited January 2019

@ehab said:
    may i ask what was the cost? and are you thinking about transferring?

$37 yearly. So that's the point!

• i will take it from you if you wish let it go.

one last request can you please do a https://www.geekbench.com/ thanks in advance

• Over the millions, of servers / vps out there, I wonder how much are idling :wink:

With most of Internet traffic being bots, and most of servers idling, the Internet is a bit empty :sweat_smile:

• ehabehab Member
    edited January 2019

@SteveMC thanks to LET making us poorer

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • uhuuhu Member

@ehab said:
    i will take it from you if you wish let it go.

one last request can you please do a https://www.geekbench.com/ thanks in advance

Oi!!! Get to the back of the queue.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @uhu said:
    Oi!!! Get to the back of the queue.

hahah -- sorry about that.... yes sir, moving back to the queue.

hey pssstt , liujason , me make u better offer...-- lol/jk

• @ehab said:
    i will take it from you if you wish let it go.

So what will you do if you get this server? LOL

• can empathize with your woes. I guess no choice, it has to come down to transferring it over to cybertech

Thanked by 1eol
  • @liujason said:

ram and cores are the key part here, even they are not dedicated but i can use it for eleasticsearch logs for example.

• Plex with GoogleDrive storage for personal use.

• @EHRA said:
    Plex with GoogleDrive storage for personal use.

Great idea!

• @ehab said:

@liujason said:

ram and cores are the key part here, even they are not dedicated but i can use it for eleasticsearch logs for example.

You are right! I'm considering to deploy one for self-learning.

• gksgks Member
    edited January 2019

I have one OVZ with Virmach, got 8 vcore and 15 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, I run 30 node.js processes and 2 Java Apps, consumes about 10 GB approx, and the Java apps make use of all cores reasonably, without violating ToS.
    I have one KVM, 13 GB, 20 GB, 6 cores, got with windows, it is still idling, wanted to run docker, yet to check whether it could really run docker, if so, I will be using it happily, cheapest configuration for docker and my cloud apps.

Next time, I am going to cancel all my OVZ with virmach and all other providers, shall stick with KVM with docker support.

I am happy with netcup root servers, which can go up to 100%, running big data, analytics works, I will stick with them forever for real project work, use VirMach only for testing purpose.

• gks said: wanted to run docker, yet to check whether it could really run docker, if so

Yes, it can with KVM in Virmach, I have tested it.

gks said: I am happy with netcup root servers, which can go up to 100%, running big data, analytics works, I will stick with them forever for real project work, use VirMach only for testing purpose.

And I'm waiting for the Netcup special deal stock.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154870/high-io-performance-vps-needed