Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[casual reviews] contabo, first-root, time4vps, ultravps, letbox, hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[casual reviews] contabo, first-root, time4vps, ultravps, letbox, hetzner

cybertechcybertech Member
edited January 2019 in Reviews

new to this community and found it very informative.

first used contabo, now have little more experience in choice of provider.

first things first:
https://browser.geekbench.com/user/196489

the plans that i had subscribed to are listed above

1) contabo
yes:
mostly good **hardware ** performance. like their control panel. easy to reinstall OS. easy to get cpanel license or cancel. cancelling most virtual services seem to be fuss free right before billing period.

best:
lots of SSD and DDR4 for EUR8.99

no:
had a bit of a downtime in a few mths where it got stuck and had to reset. after which the node got very busy. requested to shift node, hardware back to good.

backups cost extra too much for me. snapshots have to perform manually ( i think).
used it live, kept getting http 5XX errors few times in a day. 16GB DDR4 could not buffer packets for me.
network was really fluctuating. have no idea why. not experienced nor patient enough to get support. tried once but was told "normal". even after shifted it same. and they only give 1gbit on highest vps tier. hmm.

2) first-root
yes:
consistent hardware and network. never felt an ounce of lag when using it live, or when doing occassional benching. f-com is convenient to use too. price is very competitive for monthly. big and fast SSD given in most plans.

best:
with paid backup u can configure full backup to ur preferred time. and send email after every successful backup. it can be therapeutic to wake up to an email "you backup has been completed" and u know ur covered for the day.

no:
no.

nitpick:
for amateur, IPv6 has to manually attach in SSH. it was learning curve for me (sorry) but glad to experience it.

definitely would have continued using it for live if not because of ping latency to desired locale.

3) time4vps
yes:
great cpu performance, big ssd for EUR5.20 with discount. gbit network is good. used as testing/backup.

no:
no.

nitpick:
SSD I/O limit to 200MB/s. ioping iirc was less than 1K. Regular price of EUR1 each for "Fast SSD", daily backups and 1 gbit. 1gbit was good, but ssd was not that fast to pay extra for (this is puzzling), and daily backup is managed, to restore have to pay. no complaint as heavily discounted.
wanted to use for lots of testing and reinstallation, so faster the merrier when it comes to writing speeds. did not matter much on webserver delivery tests

4) UltraVPS
yes:
LA everyday.
using it as permanent test environment for the year.
consistently fast SSD for testing/reinstallation. CPU is adequate when needed. loading of test sites smooth. network is stable.

best:
built in browser console. easy to use netinstall.
personal preference? i like "Ultra".

no:
no.

nitpick:
advertised as 50GB, but did not know was 10GB main disk and 50GB secondary storage. again a learning experience to use netinstall and figure out all the mounts. standard template mounts 50GB somewhere other than /home.

good thing out of this, is that its a total of 60GB.

5) LetBox
yes:
LA everyday. SSD is just consistently fast. get a feeling of UltraVPS on test site, but on bench LetBox seems to be faster.

best:
256GB secondary storage. good as cheap storage server with decent cpu.

no:
no.

nitpick:
did not use enough to want to do so. at this point already have too many invoices to have to start skipping meals.

6) hetzner
yes:
superb hardware and network for the low price, pay by the hour. looks like xeon gold? not sure.

best:
backup is a reasonable 20% of vps cost, automated 7 slots backup. no frills. using it as permanent backup vps.

no:
no.

nitpick:
do not have favourite location: LA everyday.

Conclusion:
Much to learn here.

Comments

• eoleol Member

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:
    superb hardware and network for the low price, pay by the hour.

Agreed.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Definitely expected your comment here, specificially only about Hetzner.

Fanboyyyy

Thanked by 1eol
  • @AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Yes it was clickbait for eol to thank my shill post

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Definitely expected your comment here, specificially only about my comment.

EDIT:
    Fanboyyyy

Thanked by 2AC_Fan dahartigan
  • @cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Why didn't you try NetCup? The RS 1000 G8 SAS is one of the best deals, AFAIK.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Unfortunately just 4 months ago I did not know what vps was and only assumed that all cores, ddr4s and network were created equal. Contabo advertised well and one click with plesk provided an easy deployment.

Now there could be a plex purpose for rs1000 but until I find a dummy guide for installing without vnc, it will stay on the bucket list

• @cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Unfortunately just 4 months ago I did not know what vps was and only assumed that all cores, ddr4s and network were created equal. Contabo advertised well and one click with plesk provided an easy deployment.

Now there could be a plex purpose for rs1000 but until I find a dummy guide for installing without vnc, it will stay on the bucket list

If using for Plex, also check out: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

If using for Plex, also check out: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282

Must admit that I was secretly hoping for this reply to be link to dummy guide

• @cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Plex isn't that hard, install plex, rclone, automation tools and fire away.
    What do you need specifically? Maybe I can help a bit.

• @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Was looking at plex install guide, it says after installing from SSH the setting up is done from localhost aka 127.0.0.1. but I have not good vnc.

Was hoping that there is webpanel instead (like cpanel)

In any case , thanks in advance .

• @cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Was looking at plex install guide, it says after installing from SSH the setting up is done from localhost aka 127.0.0.1. but I have not good vnc.

Setup an SSH tunnel, or a lightweight DE (eg. xfce).

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

Setup an SSH tunnel, or a lightweight DE (eg. xfce).

Now, more things to learn about

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

Thanks for review, we are aware of the ipv6 thing and will fix it soon ;)

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • I called php-friends this morning while it is midnight at berlin timezone. they recognized my poor chinglish accent. reply my ticket and solve the problem in minutes. The performance is beyond expected.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

They have a root server, isn't that is better deal with dedicate cpu if using plex which will involve cpu intensive task such as transcoding and rclone chunk file downloding stuff.

• @hellfire1980 said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@cybertech said:
    6) hetzner
    yes:

Agreed.

Fanboyyyy

They have a root server, isn't that is better deal with dedicate cpu if using plex which will involve cpu intensive task such as transcoding and rclone chunk file downloding stuff.

You really shouldn't be transcoding, and it has quite a few cores (which is why bothered to mention it).