Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your go to Password Manager for 2019?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your go to Password Manager for 2019?

Happy New Year LET!

I am on the hunt for a new password manager. Currently using Dashlane although a few issues are deterring me from them.

What's your go-to password manager and why?

Comments

• eoleol Member

brain.sh because security.

Thanked by 2dahartigan ehab
  • rsyncsrsyncs Member
    edited January 2019

bitwarden (selfhosted), because:

• selfhosted and open-source, you own your data
    • dozens of really good applications, e.g. mobile apps, desktop apps, web app and dmenu integration
    • nice usability on all platforms

There's also bitwarden_rs which may use way less resources. Both are easily setup using docker-compose.

Thanked by 2Gravely TimRoo
  • passwords.txt

Thanked by 1eol
  • @rsyncs said:

• dozens of really good applications, e.g. mobile apps, desktop apps, web app and dmenu integration

There's also bitwarden_rs which may use way less resources. Both are easily setup using docker-compose.

Haven't come across them before, have you tried their hosted version? Trying to avoid self-hosting if possible, although docker-compose is simple enough.

• Thanked by 1eol
  • @eol said:

Same. I use a combination of tricks to get the resulting password, I have a "password" in my head for something, run that through "the algorithm" and there is the password. It's secure as long as I don't talk about it in detail :) Only problem is I couldn't possibly remember the resulting password.. lol

Thanked by 2eol trishmapow2
  • eoleol Member

@dahartigan said:

@eol said:

Same. I use a combination of tricks to get the resulting password, I have a "password" in my head for something, run that through "the algorithm" and there is the password. It's secure as long as I don't talk about it in detail :) Only problem is I couldn't possibly remember the resulting password.. lol

Yeah.
    It's good to use some kind of "system" or logic.
    Although I forgot some very old ones lol.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Still LastPass.

Thanked by 2Gravely kalimov622
  • passwords_creditcard.docx on my Google drive

Thanked by 1eol
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Notepad buried under one of my kitchen tiles. Make sure not to lift the wrong tile without a life insurance policy.

Thanked by 2eol Wolveix
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@jar said:
    Notepad buried under one of my kitchen tiles. Make sure not to lift the wrong tile without a life insurance policy.

Now we know what to look out for when we visit your house.

• launchvpslaunchvps Member, Patron Provider

Enpass. After the new version 6, it has gotten even better. Bitwarden is worth looking into as well. You can self host it.

• Keepass

Thanked by 1d0wn
  • warihwarih Member
    edited January 2019

Lastpass because i can use across device with free plan

• pass (https://www.passwordstore.org/)

Self hosted. GPG encryption. Git synced. Perfect for somebody who lives in the console.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • https://schneierfacts.com/facts/27

Most people use passwords. Some people use passphrases. Bruce Schneier uses an epic passpoem, detailing the life and works of seven mythical Norse heroes.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Bitwarden(_rs)

• Enpass

• uhuuhu Member

Keepass.

• @rsyncs said:

Exactly what I use. I have it in Docker accessible only on my lan. Works in read-only mode when I’m away from home, which is good enough for me.

• My mom's journal. Has some extra pages

Thanked by 1eol
  • Interested in using bitwarden based on the suggestions here, i've been using last pass for a little while now both commercially and personally. Dashlane was fun, but some of it's nuances got in my way. I'm not a personal fan of the lastpass UI.

Can you have multiple "bitwardens" that sync between each other incase of a failure / my LowEndBox deadpools etc / can it be optionally synced with Cloud for redundancy?

• eastonch said: Can you have multiple "bitwardens" that sync between each other incase of a failure / my LowEndBox deadpools etc / can it be optionally synced with Cloud for redundancy?

Sure. Simply rsync the folder you mount on your Bitwarden Docker container, store it in S3-like storage, or use Kubernetes.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I'm still using lastpass, may eventually move to bitwarden down the line as the applications (particularly android) continue to mature.

• solaire said: Sure. Simply rsync the folder you mount on your Bitwarden Docker container, store it in S3-like storage, or use Kubernetes.

I think i've found my weekend project :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2019

@eastonch Better yet uploaded encrpyted to github :)

Or perhaps integrated with rclone

• SplitIce said: @eastonch Better yet uploaded encrpyted to github

My first guess is that there's a secret that goes along with the encrypted database file - this would need to be "shared" with the other devices on initial setup. Not sure how I feel about pushing it to github, although google already has all my secrets so it could live there :).