Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage space - price or traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage space - price or traffic?

AC_FanAC_Fan Member
edited December 2018 in General

Which is more preferred by LET users - high bandwidth at roughly 60% of Hetzner prices, or sufficient bandwidth at ridiculously low prices?

Ninja edit: Storage space will be same for both, obviously.

Bandwidth versus storage
  1. ^See above19 votes
    1. Sufficient bandwidth, crazy prices
      63.16%
    2. High bandwidth, comparatively higher prices
      36.84%

Comments

• Hetzner.

• @eol said:
    Hetzner.

Hetzner indeed. The question is not which provider, but which Hetzner?

• eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

Since I don't like limits that much I would prefer the high BW one obviously.

EDIT:

Thanked by 2AC_Fan bdspice
  • Sufficient bandwidth

• @eol said:

To provide some specific examples: 3TB bandwidth per 1TB storage, or 5TB bandwidth per 1TB storage?

• I would want a 5:1 ratio at minimum.

Thanked by 1AC_Fan
  • Sufficient bandwidth

• @AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

To provide some specific examples: 3TB bandwidth per 1TB storage, or 5TB bandwidth per 1TB storage?

In this case I would choose 3TB with 1TB space. In fact if bandwidth is just 500GB which will result in further price reduction then I will take that.

• @eol said:
    I would want a 5:1 ratio at minimum.

But but but....
    Hetzner's storage boxes/NextCloud have less then that ratio in 50% of their plans! What now, @eol ???!!!

• @AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

But but but....
    Hetzner's storage boxes/NextCloud have less then that ratio in 50% of their plans! What now, @eol ???!!!

LOL.
    I already mentioned it to Katie.

• @alilet said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

In this case I would choose 3TB with 1TB space. In fact if bandwidth is just 500GB which will result in further price reduction then I will take that.

So you would be willing to wait one whole month for uploading? Interesting....

• @eol said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

But but but....

LOL.

Poor @Hetzner_OL , having to put up with fanboys like you.

• @AC_Fan said:

@alilet said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@AC_Fan said:

@alilet said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

No i just want to store some personal data so bandwidth is not an issue. I am not a hoarder or maintain any seedbox or anything like that.

• @AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

@AC_Fan said:

@eol said:

But but but....

LOL.

Poor @Hetzner_OL , having to put up with fanboys like you.

Yeah, it's disgusting.

• @priest @eol @alilet If you could just vote on the poll. Thanks!

• Done.

• Done

• Thanks!

• jlayjlay Member
    edited December 2018

'Sufficient' is a bit of a catch-all. If it's sufficient, why have more?

With that said, I find it difficult to use a lot of bandwidth in my deployments, so I'd do the cheaper option (I voted :smile: ). Bandwidth allocation is the last thing I consider, I look at port speed and connection quality well before that.

edit:
    To give a little more context, most of my deployments are clustered, so I effectively have 'pools' of internet bandwidth. The VMs/dedicated servers usually communicate on an unmetered private connection and the external traffic is balanced. As such, I don't tend to need a lot of external bandwidth on a single host.

• @jlay said:

With that said, I find it difficult to use a lot of bandwidth in my deployments, so I'd do the cheaper option (I voted :smile: ). Bandwidth allocation is the last thing I consider, I look at port speed and connection quality well before that.

edit:
    To give a little more context, most of my deployments are clustered, so I effectively have 'pools' of internet bandwidth. The VMs/dedicated servers usually communicate on an unmetered private connection and the external traffic is balanced. As such, I don't tend to need a lot of external bandwidth on a single host.

Yeah, I got that 'sufficient' doesn't tell much, which is why I gave the specific example (5TB vs 3TB).

• jlayjlay Member
    edited December 2018

@AC_Fan said:

@jlay said:

edit:

Yeah, I got that 'sufficient' doesn't tell much, which is why I gave the specific example (5TB vs 3TB).

Just poking fun :wink:

Yea, in that example I'd go with the 3TB BW : 1TB storage option, assuming it's cost effective (eg: reasonably cheaper).

The edit in the comment I made previously kind of hints as to why - I don't need all that bandwidth in one place. Anything I deploy usually involves at least three servers for HA, so that'd be 9TB BW : 3TB of storage spread across them - perfectly suitable for my needs.

edit:
    Another thing to consider is that incoming bandwidth isn't metered with some hosts. Not counting half of it could impact the decision making process as well! I tend to prefer that as my outgoing bandwidth usage is generally less intensive. My servers usually receive another copy of my local backups and run fairly bandwidth-lean workloads (eg: personal Gitlab instance/CICD, AWX).