Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DO space vs Amazon S3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DO space vs Amazon S3

What are pros and cons for using Digital Ocean spaces vs Amazon S3 for server backups.

Comments

• Spaces has no transactional fee and a free 1TB of outbound storage, so your costs are easier to predict. Spaces however requires a minimum $5/mo commitment.

DO Spaces has no cname ability, whereas Amazon S3 does but that's not a concern for backup use.

At a technical level both are an S3 product and perform as well as each-other.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

A solid pro would be close range for data transfer if backing up from within the same datacenter. That can be a big deal when the backups get large enough.

Thanked by 1icry
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited January 2019

suricloud said: What are the pros and cons for using Digital Ocean spaces vs Amazon S3 for server backups.

Do not use both, if you don't want to lose a lot of your money.
    These companies have hidden fees and they're randomly select customers which will be abused by their weird untransparent pricing. Do you want to start to owe your money to these companies? Start to use them, but do not say that no one warned you before.

Better check vultr/Linode/ovh/BuyVM/what ever, but not DO or AWS.

• @desperand said:

suricloud said: What are the pros and cons for using Digital Ocean spaces vs Amazon S3 for server backups.

These companies have hidden fees and they're randomly select customers which will be abused by their weird untransparent pricing. Do you want to start to owe your money to these companies? Start to use them, but do not say that no one warned you before.

What hidden charges are there at DO?

Thanked by 2taubin Aidan
  • desperand said: These companies have hidden fees and they're randomly select customers which will be abused by their weird untransparent pricing

Could you explain how DO has untransparent pricing?

Thanked by 2taubin coreflux
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Have you looked at self hosted Minio?

edited January 2019

@desperand said:

Absolutely false statement. Feel free to email me at jdonnell @ digitalocean.com if you feel that you've been treated unfairly.

Thanked by 3yomero taubin FHR
  • @kcaj said:
    Spaces has no transactional fee and a free 1TB of outbound storage, so your costs are easier to predict. Spaces however requires a minimum $5/mo commitment.

DO Spaces has no cname ability, whereas Amazon S3 does but that's not a concern for backup use.

Sure about the commitment thing?

@cyberpersons said:

@kcaj said:
    Spaces has no transactional fee and a free 1TB of outbound storage, so your costs are easier to predict. Spaces however requires a minimum $5/mo commitment.

Aye. It’s $5/m which includes 250GB of storage, whether or not you use it. Anything beyond that 250GB is billed at $0.02 per GB.

• AidanAidan Member
    edited January 2019

suricloud said: What are pros and cons for using Digital Ocean spaces vs Amazon S3 for server backups.

What's the estimated size of the backups, the frequency of backups & how often do you plan on pulling the data?

• @jar said:

@cyberpersons said:

@kcaj said:

Aye. It’s $5/m which includes 250GB of storage, whether or not you use it. Anything beyond that 250GB is billed at $0.02 per GB.

Thanks. It may not be good for use cases of some people.

• Weekly backups about 60 gb data.

@Aidan said:

suricloud said: What are pros and cons for using Digital Ocean spaces vs Amazon S3 for server backups.

What's the estimated size of the backups, the frequency of backups & how often do you plan on pulling the data?

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited January 2019

jar said: Absolutely false statement.

Platform Support Leader saying absolute false statement. Nice.
    What if I will start to post proofs?) What's next? What will you do? Ban me here? Or will remove posts? Or will you close topic? Or will say that me (client) - guilty and it's my faults?) Just curious.

• desperand said: What if I will start to post proofs?)

Post it please. What is the truth?
    However, you'd better back it up with evidence.

edited January 2019

desperand said: Platform Support Leader saying absolute false statement. Nice.

I mean it's not like some conspiracy where I'm over here throwing customers off a cliff because I don't like feeding my children, so there's some value to my words and you're welcome to test them.

desperand said: What if I will start to post proofs?) What's next? What will you do? Ban me here? Or will remove posts? Or will you close topic? Or will say that me (client) - guilty and it's my faults?) Just curious.

I gave you an avenue. If you'd like a situation looked into, this is what I do. If you were treated poorly, I'll hold anyone accountable who needs to be. If you weren't, I won't sugar coat my description of the situation to you. I'll always investigate any situation that you bring to my attention. Regardless, it is patently false that we "randomly select customers which will be abused by their weird untransparent pricing" and there is no situation that will be brought to my attention which will prove otherwise. This is server hosting, not the hunger games.

You may not agree with a decision, and you’re welcome to run it by me, but decisions are not “random based on pricing” nor are there fees which are not published.

• @desperand said:

Put up or shut up.