Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It seems that Russian VPS providers will ask for clients' ID document
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

It seems that Russian VPS providers will ask for clients' ID document

chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
edited December 2018 in General

I had wanted to get a VPS in Russia. I read Hostlix's contract (with the help of Google Translate) at https://hostlix.ru/dogovor/hostlix-oferta.pdf, and noticed the following clause:

2.5. The Subscriber (Individual) confirms that he personally and voluntarily gave his consent to the collection, transfer and personal data storage (full name, data of the main identity document, date birth, address, telephone number, email address) for the purpose of further identification when providing services. The Subscriber confirms that he is familiar with the fact that the storage period for personal data is at least 3 (three) years;

It seems that Hostlix wants to get customers' ID documents and date of birth. Very few providers did this in my experience, so I took a look at another Russian VPS provider's contract (https://skyhost.ru/skyhost_dogovor.pdf) and found a similar clause:

4.1.7 At the request of the Contractor, within 7 (seven) days, provide a copy identity document, as well as a photo of the Customer with the document, ID, or other materials required by the Contractor for Identification of the Customer (for individuals and representatives of legal entities persons), certified by tax authorities copies of documents confirming registration and tax registration of a legal entity and the legitimacy of its representative (for legal entities). Otherwise, the Contractor has the right to block access to the resources (content) of the Customer.

Just want to share this finding with others looking for a Russian VPS.

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan

Comments

• Try using fake ID.
    If it doesn't work move on to the next.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • It's fake Russians, real Russians already have your ID etc.

• @dahartigan said:
    It's fake Russians, real Russians already have your ID etc.

LOL.
    Nice one.

• What exactly new? Hetzner (Not even mentioned) do that with everyone instantly and others.

Thanked by 1eol
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Not everyone. If IP address matches with address input and other stuff pass, they won't ask.

OVH does the same.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited December 2018

@deank said:
    Not everyone. If IP address matches with address input and other stuff pass, they won't ask.

OVH does the same.

They do a good job catching lamers if they make @Hukin verify every time he opens a service!

Not sure how I've managed to slip through the net though....

Edit: and like Endis Nigh said, it's usually only in certain circumstances like IP not matching etc. Probably applies to the OP as well.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @deank said:

OVH does the same.

True.
    You are more likely to get around it if you don't use a VPN, etc.

VPN has the opposite effects nowadays.

You wanna be anonymous? Don't use vpn because they are specifically looking for vpn users now.

Thanked by 2netomx Aidan
  • May be they just get many issues with users from outside RU and trying to protect himself. Hostlix provide cheap KVM in Novosibirsk location, so no need to be genius for calculate from where most their subscribers coming from.

• @deank said:
    VPN has the opposite effects nowadays.

You wanna be anonymous? Don't use vpn because they are specifically looking for vpn users now.

Of course it is like a honeypot situation.
    Using a VPN/TOR/... which are inherently insecure by design you will just draw more attention.

The end is nigh.

OP murder detected.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

OP murder detected.

Confirmed. RIP. /thread

Thanked by 1eol
  • HukinHukin Member
    edited December 2018

chihcherng said: It seems that Hostlix wants to get customers' ID documents

Wait...Did you even get it in reality, not only read text with terms? Not clear from the post.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited December 2018

@Hukin said:
    May be they just get many issues with users from outside RU and trying to protect himself. Hostlix provide cheap KVM in Novosibirsk location, so no need to be genius for calculate from where most their subscribers coming from.

I was interested in their cheap OpenVZ in Moscow. I am not sure how their network is, so I pinged their web from each of my 10 VPSes. Response times are consistent among the 5 or 6 packets sent from the same source IP, which means good to me.

Hukin said: Wait...Did you even tried it in reality, not only read text of terms? Not clear from the post.

I was just about to register, so I haven't sent any order.

Thanked by 1eol
  • So this is all just theoretical?

Another PMS?

Thanked by 1eol
  • chihcherng said: and noticed the following clause...

@chihcherng
    And overlooked the sentence right after the part you quoted - "что в соответствии с Законом «О персональных данных» No152-ФЗ от 27.07.2006 года..." meaning "that according to the law #152-FZ of 27/07/2006 "On Personal Data" ..."

Virtually any service in Russia, which may ask for the details like full name, date of birth or address publishes such agreements nowadays. Without that famous RosKomNadzor may block the site rather easily (inside the country, of course).

Most likely the above-mentioned law is an equivalent of different "Privacy Protection Acts" in the US (don't know anything about the latter ones though). So I wouldn't worry much, as these documents are mostly intended for domestic customers.

Hukin said: May be they just get many issues with users from outside RU and trying to protect himself

@Hukin I don't think so, the only problematic customers may be Chinese or Middle Eastern ones (if there are any at all!). Most likely they will be happy to see you on-board.

Many people here use Yandex mail, I didn't check myself, but would give a 99% probability they have something like this in their user agreement as well.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • Probably OP only scared about ID only by read text rules and open a useless thread. In reality they will not ask for ID.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Hukin said:
    Probably OP only scared about ID only by read text rules and open a useless thread. In reality they will not ask for ID.

I suspect the same.

• Meh, I usually don't mind providing ID, but storage for 3 years? Nah.

You have to make sure that you hide your car's plate as well.

• @deank said:
    You have to make sure that you hide your car's plate as well.

Especially when it's stolen.

• Look for other host.

Thanked by 1eol
  • So Russians collect IDs to falsify voting in USA and other countries?! Someone immediately call CNN, we got a hot one!

Thanked by 3eol Janevski doghouch
  • @Yura said:
    So Russians collect IDs to falsify voting in USA and other countries?! Someone immediately call CNN, we got a hot one!

Call Fox!

• @doghouch said:

@Yura said:
    So Russians collect IDs to falsify voting in USA and other countries?! Someone immediately call CNN, we got a hot one!

Call Fox!

Have you seen the urns? The darn urns.
    I was like... oh, it's ok, all is fine... then I looked closer... and right under the slit it said: "Put in your vote!" I looked around and no one seems to be noticing.

My eyes narrowed a bit and I read it clearly

"PUTIN YOUR VOTE"

and then it hit me! The elections are rigged :c

• @Yura said:
    The elections are rigged :c

I think there never was a single one in the entire history that wasn't.

• ihor.ru and invs.ru don't ask me about id

Thanked by 1eol
  • Thanked by 1dahartigan