Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for KVM in LA or San Jose region, >256M RAM, >5GB Disk, USD 2.5 per month, IPV4+IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for KVM in LA or San Jose region, >256M RAM, >5GB Disk, USD 2.5 per month, IPV4+IPv6

edited December 2018 in General

I am looking for a KVM VM in the LA or San Jose region, with the following minimum specs:

RAM: 256MB
Disk: 5GB
Network: both IPv4 and IPv6

Budget: no more than USD 2.5 per month. I am willing to do a yearly deal if it makes sense.

I am looking for something that is not located at ColoCrossing. Would anyone be able to please help point me to a provider? Or if you are a provider, can you please let me know what you can offer?

I think it would be feasible for the specs above to be well below USD 2.5 monthly or USD 30 yearly. So if you are asking for USD 30 yearly, it would have to be higher specs.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Maybe HostUS @AlexanderM or BudgetNode @Ishaq can help. Both are on QuickPacket's network in LA.

Thanked by 2Ishaq AlexanderM
  • Can do this plan for $24/year. Just order the yearly option and PM me the order ID and I'll adjust the price for you.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Ishaq said:
    Can do this plan for $24/year. Just order the yearly option and PM me the order ID and I'll adjust the price for you.

You could have gone with $30/yr but went with $24. Good on you.

• edited December 2018

Folks, just to clarify my current situation.

1. The VM will effectively be needed at some points in time, not at all times throughout the year. But if it helps to get a good deal, I will be willing to enter into a yearly contract.

2. I currently have a VM with Hosthatch, USD 15 per year for 1GB RAM and 5GB disk. It is up for renewal by 31 Dec. The VM has had IPv6 problems for a while, and I could not get Hosthatch support to pay attention to it. Should I renew it in spite of the IPv6 problems, and try to get Hosthatch's attention to the problem? Or should I just say goodbye to that VM? That's the question.

3. My fallback option is to use Vultr, for USD 3.5 per month for 512MB RAM and 20GB disk. They have flexible pay-based-on-usage billing, which may suit the use case well.

With this in mind, I am really not looking for a USD 30 per year for 256MB RAM and 5GB disk. These are just maximal budget and minimal specs.

@Ishaq: Your looking glass is showing Apache Test Page.

@qps: Thanks!

• This VirMach deal should eventually be available in San Jose: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154627/virmach-raid-10-ssd-up-to-3-4ghz-512mb-kvm-1-50-mo-3gb-kvm-4-50-mo-3-locations

I don't know if all of VirMach's servers use Colocrossing though (which may rule them out).

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2018

the virmachs I have in san jose and los angeles are on colocrossing. (Wouldn't expect ipv6 support anytime soon ....)

Anyway probably lots more options in LA - would suggest checking CrownCloud (if @SpeedBus might still offer something for $25/yearly in your choice of Psychz or Quadranet) - also maybe ultravps.eu has something decent in LA in your price range with annual payment.

Also might consider options in Fremont (15 miles from San Jose) - if you are comfortable with a bare-bones proxmox KVM setup you might check with @freerangecloud (re https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2916444#Comment_2916444). Also (on rare occasions) Bandwagon Host has offered small KVM for $20 per year in Fremont. More recently they had a promotion for LA for about $30/yr.

• I would suggest staying with hosthatch, $15 is cheap and despite your ipv6/ticket woes I'm sure it's been stable.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know..

• @dhartigan: Thanks! Yes, I was considering that. But I have had to chase on the ticket for months, still to no avail. I have also tried various ways to troubleshoot myself, but didn't manage to fix it. The most frustrating part is the inability to get Hosthatch support's attention to the matter. The IPv4 connection at Hosthatch has been stable, however.

So now having a service (from any hoster) that works reliably without having to do any additional work chasing on tickets, nor trying various ways to troubleshoot, does sound attractive.

@Daniel15: Thanks! Yes, Virmach is at ColoCrossing. Last I checked, they do not have reliable IPv6 support either (or perhaps do not have IPv6 at all?). Virmach is a hoster that I would like to avoid now. Yes, they are cheap. But I just don't like how they handle support and how they provide their service. It may work for others, but not something that I would like to deal with.

• @uptime: Thanks! Yes, Fremont is a possibility also. I have included that in "region". Thanks a lot for the pointers, I will take a look.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Our latest offer in LA should suit your needs well. It'll be around $17/year for the KVMH256 package with that offer.

• @WSCallum Thanks! I will take a look.

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • @brightsunshine said: @Ishaq: Your looking glass is showing Apache Test Page.

Try now?

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2018

@uptime said:
    the virmachs I have in san jose and los angeles are on colocrossing. (Wouldn't expect ipv6 support anytime soon ....)

Anyway probably lots more options in LA - would suggest checking CrownCloud (if @SpeedBus might still offer something for $25/yearly in your choice of Psychz or Quadranet) - also maybe ultravps.eu has something decent in LA in your price range with annual payment.

Also might consider options in Fremont (15 miles from San Jose) - if you are comfortable with a bare-bones proxmox KVM setup you might check with @freerangecloud (re https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2916444#Comment_2916444). Also (on rare occasions) Bandwagon Host has offered small KVM for $20 per year in Fremont. More recently they had a promotion for LA for about $30/yr.

Thanks for the tag!

We've been doing a yearly deal in Fremont for the following:
    RAM: 256MB
    CPU: 1 shared
    Disk: 15GB HDD
    1x IPv4
    /64 of IPv6
    for $15

• @Ishaq No, it does not work. Error message: The requested URL /ajax.php was not found on this server.

• @brightsunshine said:
    @Ishaq No, it does not work. Error message: The requested URL /ajax.php was not found on this server.

Can you PM me the URL / what you're looking at?

Seems fine here.