Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad Provider - Appropriate to File PayPal dispute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bad Provider - Appropriate to File PayPal dispute?

I am interested in the community's views on the appropriate course of action when you end up with a bad provider. For the purposes of discussion, let's say you purchase a service on LEB that has some good reviews, but it quickly degenerates into unusability, grossly oversold etc. Further assume that tickets regarding issues are ignored or not answered in a way that addresses the problems. Lastly, and most importantly for the sake of this discussion, assume that any period for a refund is past. For example, assume the host offers a 3 day refund, and we are at a month in a year contract. Also, assume that you point out the material failure to provide the services to the host and politely ask for a refund with no response.

Under these type of circumstances, is ever appropriate to initiate a dispute with PayPal?

File a dispute or not?
  1. Under these type of circumstances, is ever appropriate to initiate a dispute with paypal?42 votes
    1. Yes, the host has materially failed to provide the services contracted for, a dispute is appropriate
      59.52%
    2. No, you get what you pay for. Suck it up and move on. Do more research, don't buy yearly services.
      30.95%
    3. Other. I am going to provide my take on this situation.
        9.52%

Comments

• jhjh Member

Depends what you mean by unusable imho. Extended periods of downtime might warrant a dispute but performance usually isn't guaranteed in a shared environment.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2018

Hard to judge by hearing just one side of story.

I've been in this shithole long enough to know that a customer never tells the whole story and often (ok, always) exaggerate situation in his favor.

• What budget are we talking about?

• @jh said:
    Depends what you mean by unusable imho. Extended periods of downtime might warrant a dispute but performance usually isn't guaranteed in a shared environment.

Thanks, I should have specified VPS not shared hosting, but I understand the shared hosting aspect of a VPS too.

• There are always two sides to every story. For the purposes of discussion assume the facts are as I stated. This isn't a particular dispute with a particular provider. It is more of a philosophical question about consumer hosting experience and appropriate remedies for bad, very bad service, and asking for others thoughts.

@deank said:

I've been in this shithole long enough to know that a customer never tells the whole story and often (ok, always) exaggerate situation in his favor.

• Assume LET type pricing. I think it goes without saying if you were paying DO type prices, you would get what you pay for.

@eol said:
    What budget are we talking about?

edited December 2018

If you are really unhappy, there was no need for this thread.

Simply file a dispute and move on. Expecting proper advice when you don't give us the full detail is unfair, for us as well as for the host.

Thanked by 1eol
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

If the provider is active here on LET and you're past the refund period, typically name-dropping and posting some evidence of your claims works well. Lights a fire under the providers ass to save face and sort out your issue if they're unresponsive via tickets.

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 ehab
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@MTUser2012 reset the root password, give me access to the VPS (I assume you have no material use for it now) and I will give you a second opinion.

• I am not asking for advice. Nor do I need help with a specific situation. I am just interested in people's views on a problem that seems quiet common when you are purchasing inexpensive hosting services.

I don't see how asking how someone sees a situation is unfair to anyone. I posited two alternatives that occurred me. I was wondering if there other choices and how others see things.

@deank said:
    If you are really unhappy, there was no need for this thread.

Simply file a dispute and move on. Expecting proper advice when you don't give us the full detail is unfair, for us as well as for the host.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The issue is, if the performance is decreased, its hard to fight against.
    No one, guarantees you anything, on these VPS boxen.

If the vps is offline for an extended period, sure.
    You paid for it, if you cannot use it yes, but if its unusable because shitty I/O speeds or slow network speeds, maybe.

It depends on the Provider, some Providers maybe agree others don't.
    Some providers, even threaten, people who try to justify with with a Paypal dispute, since they refuse to fix it.

As long its not part of the offer, you have a bad chance.

• @MTUser2012 said:
    I am interested in the community's views on the appropriate course of action when you end up with a bad provider. For the purposes of discussion, let's say you purchase a service on LEB that has some good reviews, but it quickly degenerates into unusability, grossly oversold etc. Further assume that tickets regarding issues are ignored or not answered in a way that addresses the problems. Lastly, and most importantly for the sake of this discussion, assume that any period for a refund is past. For example, assume the host offers a 3 day refund, and we are at a month in a year contract. Also, assume that you point out the material failure to provide the services to the host and politely ask for a refund with no response.

Under these type of circumstances, is ever appropriate to initiate a dispute with PayPal?

Assume that the earth is flat, how many edges would it have?

Thanked by 1eol
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

If the assumption is that the provider failed to deliver what was advertised, and didn't respond to a refund inquiry, then yes, it'd be appropriate to file a dispute.

This thread is silly because when you ask us to make that assumption, no one would disagree that you should file a dispute.

You're getting the responses above because people are assuming you're not asking a completely pointless question and want to actually help.

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 eol
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2018

I go on a simple principle. Someone offering 1MB of space and 56k line speeds on their floating IP could call themselves a 'hosting provider'.

If you feel that others would be dissatisfied with the service provided and it does not meet your minimum realistic expectations, i.e. usable disk, cpu, network... ensure you get your money back so that unsustainable 'hosting companies' that front themselves as a business can be duly binned.

If you sort-of-knew the deal was too good to be true, probably just move on.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MTUser2012 said: I am not asking for advice. Nor do I need help with a specific situation. I am just interested in people's views on a problem that seems quiet common when you are purchasing inexpensive hosting services.

I don't see how asking how someone sees a situation is unfair to anyone. I posited two alternatives that occurred me. I was wondering if there other choices and how others see things.

Fair enough, it seemed like it was written as if it has actually happened.

My opinion is that in principal yes you should charge back, I base on that the fact that you say you have a problem and they have not answered you for days.

I was offering to take a look to invite an educated and impartial view which I would have thought was invaluable in this set of circumstances.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
    edited December 2018

I don't know, man.

This is like asking "My wife cheated on me. Should I file for a divorce?" type of question. Who knows what happened behind scenes. The guy may have cheated on her first.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MTUser2012 said:
    There are always two sides to every story. For the purposes of discussion assume the facts are as I stated. This isn't a particular dispute with a particular provider. It is more of a philosophical question about consumer hosting experience and appropriate remedies for bad, very bad service, and asking for others thoughts.

@deank said:

Impossible. Depends on your contract and the terms aren’t philosophical.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2018

If it’s technically functional but not for your use case, and your use case wasn’t part of the sold product, I vote call it a loss and a lesson learned.

If it’s not functional and the sold service isn’t being provided, then it’s reasonable to get your money back by any means necessary.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Thanks for your response. Maybe it is just me, but I didn't think the request was silly. I am not sure even if everything was true, it would be the right choice to file a dispute. Maybe it is better just to chalk it up to experience. If you lose the money, maybe you are more careful next time. I am not going to start buying services from DO, so this will inevitably happen at some point. I don't know. I can see both sides of my hypothetical.

@perennate said:
    If the assumption is that the provider failed to deliver what was advertised, and didn't respond to a refund inquiry, then yes, it'd be appropriate to file a dispute.

This thread is silly because when you ask us to make that assumption, no one would disagree that you should file a dispute.

You're getting the responses above because people are assuming you're not asking a completely pointless question and want to actually help.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

MTUser2012 said: Maybe it is just me, but I didn't think the request was silly. I am not sure even if everything was true, it would be the right choice to file a dispute.

Fair enough, sorry. I don't see any downside to filing the dispute after you've already waited for them to reply regarding a refund, except if you want to use their services again in the future. (But even then, I would say that it'd be /appropriate/ to file the dispute.)

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Could you ask them to move you to another server?
    Tell them in the ticket, what your evidence is and why you are not happy with the service.
    I think moving to another node is fair request.

• I see no problem in a hypothetical case to file a hypothetical dispute to a hypothetical provider. Provided it is only hypothetical.

• @eol said:
    I see no problem in a hypothetical case to file a hypothetical dispute to a hypothetical provider. Provided it is only hypothetical.

• But only if this is a possibly. Maybe.
    Thanked by 1eol

Just file a dispute and move on. That's what you want to do.

• I'd file a dispute and find another provider.

• One could leave a review somewhere at least...

• I would generally always recommend reaching out to the provider directly, even if its outside of the money back period I'll generally refund it anyway (as long as its not unreasonably so). Life's too short.