Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple SMTP server for Linux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple SMTP server for Linux?

Hi all

I just need a simple SMTP server to send some mail via PHP. maybe 1-2 emails a day max, so I want something easy to configure that requires little maintenance other than updating it

Comments

• naranjatechnaranjatech Member, Patron Provider

Postfix?

• @naranjatech said:
    Postfix?

I think I used exim4 before, but that was years ago. Is postfix a lot better? Minimal config needed?

• naranjatechnaranjatech Member, Patron Provider

hostnoob said: I think I used exim4 before, but that was years ago. Is postfix a lot better? Minimal config needed?

All command line, but minimal config...

• MXroute $5/yr? Worth the money

Thanked by 1nobizzle
  • sibapersibaper Member
    edited December 2018

@sanvit said:
    MXroute $5/yr? Worth the money

wtf ? he asking for mail server.

oh, you had their affiliate link on your signature. lol

• @sibaper said:

@sanvit said:
    MXroute $5/yr? Worth the money

wtf ? he asking for mail server.

I know, but he seems to want a SMTP server, which MXR does a great job with. I'm pretty sure he'll be better off using MXR instead of installing everything and managing it.

• @sanvit said:
    I know, but he seems to want a SMTP server, which MXR does a great job with. I'm pretty sure he'll be better off using MXR instead of installing everything and managing it.

dont make any assumption. speak for your self

• https://www.opensmtpd.org/ (Not only for OpenBSD)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited December 2018

I did consider another service, but for 1-2 emails a day it's not worth it.

Will try Postfix, thanks

Edit actually opensmtpd seemse better, gonna try that.

• @angstrom said:
    https://www.opensmtpd.org/ (Not only for OpenBSD)

I'd use this one, just because the image on their home page is the best thing ever

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Sendgrid is the best, I personally use it and it’s easy to configure and their free plan gives 100 emails per day limit. So not to worry also.

• @hostnoob said:
    I did consider another service, but for 1-2 emails a day it's not worth it.

Will try Postfix, thanks

Edit actually opensmtpd seemse better, gonna try that.

I've run OpenSMTPD on OpenBSD (where it's the default mail server), it's a great choice unless one wants to do really fancy things (in which case Postfix or Exim4 would be more appropriate).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Liking Haraka right now as well, for what it's worth. I have one outbound relay using it to test under light conditions. The plugins alone are incredible.

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware
  • @jar said:
    Liking Haraka right now as well, for what it's worth. I have one outbound relay using it to test under light conditions. The plugins alone are incredible.

I didn't know about Haraka, which depends on node.js -- interesting.

It seems that the guy who started Haraka used to be the project leader of SpamAssassin.

Definitely something to look into!

Thanked by 1vimalware