Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly / Daily Dedicated Server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly / Daily Dedicated Server ?

Once upon a time , I need to spin a virtual box image. This can't be done in a vps environment. Also my requirement is a Windows OS. Because setting Virtual Box on a Linux is a pain in the ass.

Also virtual box is a must.

Any recommendations ?

Comments

• Pretty sure GTHost does daily, can’t comment on windows

• @yokowasis said:
    Because setting Virtual Box on a Linux is a pain in the ass.

How?
    Just download the .run script and run it?

• KVM VPS with nested virtualization :)

• @eol said:

@yokowasis said:

How?

Nah, it is not that simple. Also I need it to work with Virtualbox Addon

@tester4 said:
    KVM VPS with nested virtualization :)

I need dedicated. There is a software that should be run on the host and it refuses to run if it detects virtualization.

• @yokowasis said:

@eol said:

@yokowasis said:

How?

Nah, it is not that simple. Also I need it to work with Virtualbox Addon

Hm.
    Works here.

Also the add-on is easily installed using VBoxManage extpack install.
    This are just two commands.

You could even dl it from the UI if I remember correctly.

• It's overpriced but Vultr, can do snapshots too which helps

• @corbpie said:
    It's overpriced but Vultr, can do snapshots too which helps

Do you mean dedicated instances ? Pretty sure it's not a dedicated server. It's just dedicated resources. Pretty much the same as netcup root server.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2018

vultr has bare metal dedicated on hourly billing as does packet.net

I did vultr bare metal dedicated benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/vultr-60-discount-free-100-credit-test-drive-vultr-bare-metal-instances.13744/ (actual benchmarks start from this post here)

and for packet.net https://community.centminmod.com/threads/packet-net-bare-metal-cloud-amd-epyc-7401p-review-benchmarks.14097/

As they are both hourly billing, you can easily try both and see which is better suited for your needs :) Packet has spot pricing like Amazon EC2, so if you time it right you can lower your hourly billing costs alot i.e. my AMD EPYC 7401P tests were US$1.00/hr normal but spot pricing can be as low as US$0.20/hr

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@corbpie said:

Obviously, its just for a short period.
    If you do view it long term, its a rip off.

• There is some provider here at LET (don't recall their name), who does offer dedicated servers per day (setup time 15 minutes).

• It was @GTHost

Thanked by 1eol
  • Thanks guys. I think I will try with vultr. Although I have some questions about Windows OS ? How do they charge the license ? Can I just use trial ? since I will just use it for a couple of hours once upon a time.

• @yokowasis said:

@corbpie said:

Do you mean dedicated instances ? Pretty sure it's not a dedicated server. It's just dedicated resources. Pretty much the same as netcup root server.

If you do the biggest plan it will be the whole machine

• @corbpie said:

@yokowasis said:

@corbpie said:

If you do the biggest plan it will be the whole machine

Got it. Thanks.

• @yokowasis said:
    Thanks guys. I think I will try with vultr. Although I have some questions about Windows OS ? How do they charge the license ? Can I just use trial ? since I will just use it for a couple of hours once upon a time.

Spin up a normal ~$10 instance, upload a windows ISO install what you want and then do a snapshot. Now you can deploy the dedicated with that snapshot, just remember to expand disk.

• @corbpie said:

@yokowasis said:
    Thanks guys. I think I will try with vultr. Although I have some questions about Windows OS ? How do they charge the license ? Can I just use trial ? since I will just use it for a couple of hours once upon a time.

Spin up a normal ~$10 instance, upload a windows ISO install what you want and then do a snapshot. Now you can deploy the dedicated with that snapshot, just remember to expand disk.

Wait , you dan do that ? Neat. Thanks for the tips.