Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup storage

I'm looking to store ~45 GB worth of server backups somewhere. I currently use Backupninja and Duplicity to back up into Dropbox, but I'm running out of space and Dropbox's paid plans are quite expensive.

I use BuyVM for my main VPSes so I'd like a different provider that doesn't share a data center, just in case (don't want to lose my VPSes and my backups if something ever happens to that data center 😛)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Backblaze B2 looks interesting at $0.005 per GB per month... Has anyone used it before?

Comments

• Backblaze is great for the price. Used it for a long time as third fallback backup storage. Ovh, Amazon, Microsoft and scaleway all have comparable offers but more expensive.

• VPS with HDD should work for your usage, no?

Wishosting, Hetzner (Storage Box/NextCloud), Backblaze B2 etc. would be good options.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @AC_Fan said:
    VPS with HDD should work for your usage, no?

Yeah, HDD is fine. I don't really care too much about speed, as it's just for weekly automated backups. As long as it's not ridiculously slow, of course.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Check VirMach storage vps.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited December 2018

@Daniel15 said:

@AC_Fan said:
    VPS with HDD should work for your usage, no?

Yeah, HDD is fine. I don't really care too much about speed, as it's just for weekly automated backups. As long as it's not ridiculously slow, of course.

Wishosting KVM HDD 500 - 4.66 USD/month (500GB)
    Best mix of price and reliability I could find.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

Hetzner cloud is really good for what you asking for.
    They have both hdd and ssd.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner storage boxes.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @solaire said:
    Backblaze is great for the price. Used it for a long time as third fallback backup storage. Ovh, Amazon, Microsoft and scaleway all have comparable offers but more expensive.

OVH and Online has cold storage for €0.002/GB/month; I might be missing something, but why did you mention then as more expensive alternatives?

• We are talking about 45GB of data right? That's less than 25 cents a month at Backblaze or whatever.

OVH and Online 0.002/GB/m storage has a 0.01/GB charge for uploading, download, and (in Online's case) deleting.

It might be simplest to just get a small storage VPS, e.g. https://www.liteserver.nl/en/storage-vps-series-openvz-vps/ 100gb for around 13 euro/y with a discount code (I don't remember it but someone here probably does).

• @pullangcubo said:

@solaire said:
    Backblaze is great for the price. Used it for a long time as third fallback backup storage. Ovh, Amazon, Microsoft and scaleway all have comparable offers but more expensive.

OVH and Online has cold storage for €0.002/GB/month; I might be missing something, but why did you mention then as more expensive alternatives?

Because backblaze is not cold storage and therefore you can't compare them. Ovh and online have charges on deleting data as well, which makes it much less attractive.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • Have been using https://www.time4vps.eu/storage-vps/ for two years now. I was lucky I have the 1Tb for 3.99 a month. No downtime and it is fast.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2018

I would not get any OVZ, get KVM or a Dedi, since you have only 45GB, getting a 2TB machine for 4.99 may not worth it.

Some providers may sell you a KVM with 100-200GB for 10$/y

• I wonder if @exception0x876 could set you up with a custom OpenVZ Mini vps. They usually have 40GB of storage and you'd want it a little larger. See: www.wishosting.com .

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @solaire said:

@pullangcubo said:

@solaire said:

Because backblaze is not cold storage and therefore you can't compare them. Ovh and online have charges on deleting data as well, which makes it much less attractive.

I thought about that but figured OP didn't ask for a specific kind of backup storage, hence I just threw cold storage as an additional option for the OP.

• solairesolaire Member
    edited December 2018

@pullangcubo said:
    I thought about that but figured OP didn't ask for a specific kind of backup storage, hence I just threw cold storage as an additional option for the OP.

That's a valid point, but assuming backups change on a regular (e.g. daily) base, cold storage is not your best bet here. I ran a calculation a while ago for my own backups. Assuming you run a full backup every week, and an incremental backup every day, Backblaze is far cheaper than any cold storage alternative, simply because of the cost of traffic and in some cases even create / delete / update operations.

Incoming traffic only will cost you around 2 bucks a month at OVH, assuming OP uploads his full backup 4 times a month. That's not even including the price of the cold storage. Backblaze will only cost him $ 0.23 / month and that is including the storage price.

Cold storage is cool (pun intended), but only for archiving things like monthly backups. For "live" backups (backups that run every day), it's expensive and crap because you can't retrieve your files instantly but have to wait for up to 24 hours before you can retrieve them.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • I recommend /dev/null.
    Fast unlimited storage.

Thanked by 3Daniel15 t0m MasonR
  • @Neoon said:
    I would not get any OVZ, get KVM or a Dedi, since you have only 45GB, getting a 2TB machine for 4.99 may not worth it.

Best I've seen for Western US is 150GB for $24/yr. Would love to find a larger for similar in Seattle or LA.

• http://www.lowendstorage.win/ lists a few dozen possibilities

I've been particularly impressed with performance of subnetlabs (in Seattle) and CrownCloud (in LA). Also HostHatch (LA and Stockholm) and Spartan Host (Dallas).

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • uptime said: http://www.lowendstorage.win/ lists a few dozen possibilities

The issue with that site is that it only lists plans starting at 250 GB space, whereas I only need ~50 GB. I imagine some of the providers would have cheaper plans with less storage. I emailed the guy that runs MrVM.net but they have no stock on their storage plans at the moment :(

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2018

check Lunanode for block storage that you can specify exact size for at $0.03/GB per month. So 50 GB would be $1.50 per month. Plus basic VPS to attach to storage would add $4.50 if you leave it on all month - but is billed hourly so may be possible to save a bit - if you keep the VPS off most of the time. (You still pay for the IP address and VPS disk space while it's down, a little over $1 per month if I remember correctly).

They have an API that might be useful if you want to go the on-demand VPS route. Also it's possible to grow the block storage volume size if you need more space later.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited December 2018

I am not a provider, but I have plenty of backup space available. I can provide 50G FTP storage space as an individual if you want and if the community allow. I dont know what will be a reasonable price but it will be less than $1/m

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

Best I've seen for Western US is 150GB for $24/yr. Would love to find a larger for similar in Seattle or LA.

Go deeper, I got 150GB for 10$/y

• backupdragon.com
    liteserver.nl

• If your looking for simple storage space as opposed to a full blown VPS I will be able to help on about a month? Probably around £1 50gb per month.

• Check around, people have posted about their issues with BlackBlaze. I don't have any personal insight there.

PieLayer and Virmach have both been pretty darn stable for me.

• @Neoon said:

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

Go deeper, I got 150GB for 10$/y

And KVM? Where?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2018

Ended up getting a KVM storage VPS with BudgetNode @Ishaq. The offer in this post still works: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136417/512mb-kvm-18-year-2gb-kvm-3-99-month-paid-yearly-500gb-kvm-storage-3-99-month-paid-yearly (250 GB space, 512 MB RAM, $24 per year). So far so good. I figure I'll find some way to use the extra space, like storing backups from my home PCs.

I also tried BitAccel (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154078/last-minute-cyber-week-deal/), but their server was very slow, and apparently OpenVZ uses a 10-year-old Linux kernel version 2.6.32 that is not supported by the glibc version in my preferred OS (Debian buster - requires kernel 3.10 or above).

lurch said: If your looking for simple storage space as opposed to a full blown VPS I will be able to help on about a month? Probably around £1 50gb per month.

FAT32 said: I am not a provider, but I have plenty of backup space available. I can provide 50G FTP storage space as an individual if you want and if the community allow. I dont know what will be a reasonable price but it will be less than $1/m

Thanks for the kind offers, I don't want to burden an individual with having to support me / my use cases though. I like having SSH access so I can install/upgrade things like Borgbackup.

CyberMonday said: PieLayer and Virmach have both been pretty darn stable for me.

I forgot to mention it in my post, but I already have some Windows VPSes at Virmach that I want to back up too, so I want storage at a different provider

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ultravps.eu is a good choice for backup

Thanked by 1UltraVPS