Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can I have mail server setup at contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can I have mail server setup at contabo?

Hello

I am interested in buying VPS SSD from contabo (https://contabo.com/?show=configurator&vserver_id=221) it will be used as my personal VPS with DirectAdmin control panel under it (yes I have DirectAdmin external license ;) ) with nextcloud and couple personal sites. However I want to use it also for my personal e-mail (to contact with my family or friends with 0 spam or bulk e-mail) however some years ago I read somewhere that contabo limits usage of e-mail so hard that even legitimate e-mail don't workat all. Can anyone confirm this or decline? maybe somebody use it here and can tell if the e-mail works or not?

also this server will be accurately configured with using DKIM, SPF, DMARC and other standard-compliant techniques.

Comments

• I've used it for mailing for a few months (I had it setup to relay to MXRoute). I've had no issues, though I only sent a few mails per day. However, given the networking issues they have on a daily base, I wouldn't recommend using it for a production mailserver or any production environment for that matter. See https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2914681/#Comment_2914681

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Why not just move to mxroute.com or iroute.io and save the hassle of maintaining an email server?

I got one of the BF/CM deal of MXRoute to setup personal email IDs (of my family) & my institute's email ID for the Alumni. One of the best decision ever.

Thanked by 2MikePT jar
  • I have two vps with contabo, both of them with proxmox installed! LXC vps on them for several tasks. I have a mail server there that works fine and the network is pretty good (both of the vps do have heavy usage, like a backup server, two web servers, an owncloud installation, two nginx-rtmp streamers for OTT usage etc.)
    They had network issues years ago, but nowadays, for the price, their network is good. Their ip (one one the first vps and 2 on the second) are clean and reputable.
    The only thing I don't know about them is the support, because since 2016 I have never used it...

Thanked by 2MikePT Ympker
  • @jvnadr said:
    I have two vps with contabo, both of them with proxmox installed! LXC vps on them for several tasks. I have a mail server there that works fine and the network is pretty good (both of the vps do have heavy usage, like a backup server, two web servers, an owncloud installation, two nginx-rtmp streamers for OTT usage etc.)
    They had network issues years ago, but nowadays, for the price, their network is good. Their ip (one one the first vps and 2 on the second) are clean and reputable.
    The only thing I don't know about them is the support, because since 2016 I have never used it...

Which plan you had with them with all these running services?

• Just moved out of their VPS M SSD. Good config, quite stable mostly but network spikes daily. On a small traffic but live site it sometimes get unbearable to surf. On rare occasions I get timed out when server is up.

Was lucky though; few mths back when I ordered first S, then M, there was no setup fee.

• @cybertech said:
    Just moved out of their VPS M SSD. Good config, quite stable mostly but network spikes daily. On a small traffic but live site it sometimes get unbearable to surf. On rare occasions I get timed out when server is up.

Was lucky though; few mths back when I ordered first S, then M, there was no setup fee.

Sounds like thier network sux, like a bird without wings

• @hellfire1980 said:

@cybertech said:
    Just moved out of their VPS M SSD. Good config, quite stable mostly but network spikes daily. On a small traffic but live site it sometimes get unbearable to surf. On rare occasions I get timed out when server is up.

Sounds like thier network sux, like a bird without wings

Maybe it's just the node mines on. Since it's going to be idle after a week, what can I set up to monitor outgoing network?

Perhaps with some statistics I can communicate better with support about my issues.

• hellfire1980 said: Which plan you had with them with all these running services?

The first is a 2 core 6GB ram 500G HDD ssd cached and the second, 4 core 8GB Ram 200GB ssd

• Sure, you can set one up, but your delivery rate is probably about 3%.

• @Letzien said:
    Sure, you can set one up, but your delivery rate is probably about 3%.

What are you mean?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@marson said:

@Letzien said:
    Sure, you can set one up, but your delivery rate is probably about 3%.

What are you mean?

He’s implying that their IP reputation is not great, which would mean that emails leaving their network might be rejected by their destination.

• I checked my IP in mxtoolbox.com and looks clean.

• I want to make bulk mailing server for my company. Which server is best for that and good inbox rate. Is contabo is ok with this or any other. As well as powermta iprotation and mailwizz is better or any other recomment.

• @bhavitratech said:
    I want to make bulk mailing server for my company. Which server is best for that and good inbox rate. Is contabo is ok with this or any other. As well as powermta iprotation and mailwizz is better or any other recomment.

(Joined 10:44PM)

No, Contabo isn't ok with this or any other.