Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPV4 to DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPV4 to DNS

iSkyiSky Member
edited December 2018 in Help

Hi, need some help on how to redirect domain to ipv4. I have a domain and want to redirect it to an ipv4 address. But the problem is i dont own the hosting, i only have the DNS name. I only pointing my domain to the DNS.

Should i buy a vps and set it ?
or any idea where i can get ipv4 and point it to the DNS ?
Thanks

Comments

• Tomorrow.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Morning.

Thanked by 1edit2
  • sorry for my bad english

• Most domain registrars provide free DNS service. Without changing any config, you may simply update the "A record" of your domain to make it point to the ipv4 you want. If your registrar doesn't provide free DNS, you may change the DNS server config on the registrar to any free DNS service such as cloudflare and update the A record on cloudflare to make it point to the ipv4 you want. You don't need any vps for this.

• @Jun said:
    Most domain registrars provide free DNS service. Without changing any config, you may simply update the "A record" of your domain to make it point to the ipv4 you want. If your registrar doesn't provide free DNS, you may change the DNS server config on the registrar to any free DNS service such as cloudflare and update the A record on cloudflare to make it point to the ipv4 you want. You don't need any vps for this.

thank you very much.
    i understand on how to point the domain to ipv4 where is my vps host the website. But for this situation is i dont have panel to access the web hosting. I only have the DNS where i should pointing on. I just dont know how to point the ipv4 to their DNS. For simple is i must set DNS on vps where ipv4 is available and point it to the DNS. And my domain is pointing to the ipv4 of the VPS. Are there any other idea on how it will work ?

Thank you very much again

• Sorry, I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly.
    But maybe you can achive what you want with a cname?
    A cname is a DNS record that points a domain to another domain.

Or are you trying to set a reverse-dns on the IP? So that your IP points back to a domain?
    For example if someone does "ping -a 122.211.87.4" you want it to display something like "pinging www.something.com [122.211.87.4]" with 32 bytes of data"?

Can you maybe try to describe it again? Or draw a little picture and upload it to imgur.com or so.

• iSky said: But for this situation is i dont have panel to access the web hosting. I only have the DNS where i should pointing on. I just dont know how to point the ipv4 to their DNS.

You don't "point" ipv4 to the DNS.

On your VPS you configure a webserver (apache or nginx or some other) to listen on your assigned ipv4 address and accept connections.

• Get a web hosting (with cPanel) and host your website. The nameservers you get when you buy some web hosting, must go into domain configuration. Then enjoy your website hosted in cPanel for a very small amount of $.

If you want a shared hosting offer, simply ask here, many providers are here to help you. Just don't forget to put some strong passwords on your website accounts.

Stop buying unmanaged VPS if you do not need it or you do not know how it all works. If you do not know how things work, you may end up with a very bad web configuration including vulnerabilities that scream for hacking and SPAM messages. With shared hosting you can focus on your website much faster, while servers and applications behind it are managed by a professional, that is why I recommend it.

• Cloudflare offers free DNS service as well as afraid.org and a many others.

Thanked by 1iSky
  • default said: Stop buying unmanaged VPS if you do not need it

wat!

then what is the point of buying to idle 😒

Thanked by 1iSky