Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CDN would you recommend for serving HTML pages?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CDN would you recommend for serving HTML pages?

Hey guys,

Have a project where we'll need to be serving many static HTML pages around the world, and figured we'd serve them over a CDN rather than having to get numerous servers around the world.

Any particular providers you'd suggest for this? Speed and good overall connectivity are our #1 concerns.

Currently using BunnyCDN and they seem quite good, although a few people had suggested KeyCDN and CDN77 as well. Just curious to see what most of you guys on LET are using.

Thanks.

Comments

• you joking? if html than why you even need cdn. It's going to be rather unnoticable in my opinion unless your page sizes are huge.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

BunnyCDN or CloudFront

CloudFlare with a cache everything page rule also works very well for $0/mo

Thanked by 2integritly kkrajk
  • smile said: you joking? if html than why you even need cdn. It's going to be rather unnoticable in my opinion unless your page sizes are huge.

Because we're moving into serverless architecture, where DOM are generated and distributed across these services.

FreeCodeCamp described how they implemented using their own using JAMStack

@OP https://www.netlify.com/ ?

Thanked by 2integritly mrTom
  • CloudFlare

Is it a real CDN? For instance, even with Argo enabled (paid "improved" routing), they serve requests from Dubai via Singapore. Server is located in France.

• For Single Page Apps, I think CSS/JS is the large stuff compared with HTML.
    So any CDN would be nice for these static assets.
    I'll use Cloudflare because it costs 0 and caches static CSS/JS by default. That's enough.

• +1 for Cloudflare if u don't mind paying 25$ for WAF and a few others which is worth well later on as small upgrade.

• KeyCDN

• If you are serving static, might aswell go with Github Pages or Netlify.

Thanked by 2integritly mrTom
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@tsoft said:

CloudFlare

Is it a real CDN? For instance, even with Argo enabled (paid "improved" routing), they serve requests from Dubai via Singapore. Server is located in France.

It's a real CDN - https://www.cloudflare.com/network/

It's an anycast network and sometimes there are routing quirks, but from my experience it's usually pretty good.

Argo just improves routing from the Origin to the PoP and does some layered caching as it bounces between CloudFlare DCs - your problem is related to which PoP you were routed to initially.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • tsofttsoft Member
    edited December 2018

OK, they have a DC in Dubai. Why does the query from Dubai go to Singaporean DC?

Maybe this route is faster to reach France.

• @tsoft said:

OK, they have a DC in Dubai. Why does the query from Dubai go to Singaporean DC?

Maybe this route is faster to reach France.

Cheaper :-)

Thanked by 1tsoft
  • tsofttsoft Member
    edited December 2018

@mrclown said:

Yes, I suspect that. For example, here is a small website in Dubai (shop), it serves around 5k visitor daily, 95% of them from Dubai. CloudFlare Argo is enabled. The server location is online.net in Paris.

As you can see, the majority of the bandwidth they serve via Singapore.

I thought, if someone pays for bandwidth, they would utilize their local DCs.

• smilesmile Member
    edited December 2018

you can also try incapsula as a free cdn but it doesn't support ssl on free plan and it seems to be missing on their website. for cloudflare; you also can open a support ticket because your ip is maybe incorrectly geo located.

• Github Pages - 0$

Thanked by 2eol integritly
  • free cloudflare is enough for me, even only for a few pages

• BunnyCDN or Cloudflare

• Cloudflare with pages rules to cache everything for the longest time possible would get the job done at the best possible price. You'd still need a server somewhere to host the static html files before they get into the cache, but it can be a cheap VPS running nginx anywhere well connected...

Thanked by 1integritly
  • datanoise said: Cloudflare with pages rules to cache everything

yup works well for static html files and cheapest option if Cloudflare directs your visitors to the appropriate CF POP. That isn't always the case i.e. Australia visitors may have some routes directed to Cloudflare Singapore in the past, but that recently gotten better, most of my Sydney and Brisbane visits hit Sydney or Brisbane Cloudflare POPs. But one region that isn't being served well is Indian visitors, they all seem to be directed to Cloudflare Singapore POPs from Free, Pro and Business. I think Cloudflare Enterprise is only hitting Cloudflare India POPs.

Test and check your Google Analytic city, country, sub-continent and continent break down of visitor traffic to see if Cloudflare will work for you.

• Of course Akamai with it's ultra platinum support package. Probably costs around 1 000 000 USD/month but who cares, it's HTML you need to deliver over it!

/s

Use Cloudflare.

Thanked by 1eol
  • You can use Amazon S3

• @tsoft said:

@mrclown said:

Yes, I suspect that. For example, here is a small website in Dubai (shop), it serves around 5k visitor daily, 95% of them from Dubai. CloudFlare Argo is enabled. The server location is online.net in Paris.

As you can see, the majority of the bandwidth they serve via Singapore.

They serve via Singapore because latency to Singapore is 80ms from UAE while the latency to Europe is 100+.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

+1 for BunnyCDN

Thanked by 2Wolveix integritly
  • eva2000 said: But one region that isn't being served well is Indian visitors, they all seem to be directed to Cloudflare Singapore POPs from Free, Pro and Business. I think Cloudflare Enterprise is only hitting Cloudflare India POPs.

Right but even if it's not the closest possible, isn't Singapore enough (latency & speed) for most uses?

• datanoise said: Right but even if it's not the closest possible, isn't Singapore enough (latency & speed) for most uses?

For most folks should be enough I suspect.

Thanked by 2integritly datanoise
  • VeespVeesp Member, Host Rep

Hi! +1. CloudFlare 'll do! Feel free to use it

Thanked by 1integritly
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, Cloudflare is free, it does it, but if you want to spend a bit, get BunnyCDN.
    Which does the same, with more performance even on peak times.

Or get a few Shared Hosting accounts, get some GeoDNS, and put them together, to make your own tiny static hosting cluster.
    Like I did when I was bored: https://cluster.serv.app/

Thanked by 2eol integritly
  • @Veesp said:
    Hi! +1. CloudFlare 'll do! Feel free to use it

Isn't it banned in Soviet Russia? Every CF IP is listed by RKN.

• @Neoon said:
    Well, Cloudflare is free, it does it, but if you want to spend a bit, get BunnyCDN.
    Which does the same, with more performance even on peak times.

Or get a few Shared Hosting accounts, get some GeoDNS, and put them together, to make your own tiny static hosting cluster.
    Like I did when I was bored: https://cluster.serv.app/

Which GeoDNS service do you use?

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

You will be hard pressed to find any real difference between CDNs for this use case, as long as they all have presence in the locations you will be serving the content. So with no other requirements, the cheapest might be the best.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

BunnyCDN is prem, go with them.