Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some questions about SolusVM

YandexYandex Member
edited December 2018 in General

1, Does the old version (which doesn't support HTML5 noVNC) much cheaper than the new version? Why there are still so many providers using the old version.

2, Either the old version or new version, there are many actions can randomly cause the VPS stuck at offline and I can't boot it up, is it caused by providers' configuration error or is it a bug of SolusVM? I found this issue with many provider but with my different actions in control panel, and most of the time, when I open a ticket, provider boot it from their end, this issue can't re-happen with the same actions I did before.

3, when using its VNC, I can't input the underline character (th_is, due to MarkDown language it won't display if I don't add characters before and after it), which is basically need during the netinstall -- after I clicked "th_is" from my VNC viewer, it inputs a "-", but the "th_is" is needed during netinstall, when inputting the repo address, many Linux distribution use CPU architecture in address so it contains "x86_64" and I can only input "x86-64". And absolutely, it cannot continue because the address is wrong. Is there any solution to deal with it?

Comments

• Change provider is my advice. Only the shit hosts persist with old versions of customer facing tools.

Thanked by 2dedotatedwam eol
  • edited December 2018

Changing providers is your best choice.

Thanked by 2Lyphiard eol
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Good hosts, use new versions. SolusVM has had a notoriously slow release schedule. The versions that don't support noVNC are years old.

• @SpryServers_Tab said:
    The versions that don't support noVNC are years old.

Big security risk there.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I'm curious why they wouldn't update it. I've never had an update cause problems and it is automatic.

• @MikeA said:
    I'm curious why they wouldn't update it. I've never had an update cause problems and it is automatic.

I bet you its a nulled panel most likely..

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@t0ny0 said:

@MikeA said:

I bet you its a nulled panel most likely..

Haha, you're probably right. That's the only reason they wouldn't be able to update it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    1. I am curious why you think it is an 'old' version, HTML5/NoVNC has been supported for around 4 years or perhaps even longer, it does however require a little bit of configuration to work properly.

I think it is far more likely that they use the new version, I mean it is free to upgrade and takes 2 seconds, however the NoVNC element is not automatically configured so you would still only see java.

1. if you could be more specific I can probably explain this one but 9/10 times its because you left an old ISO mounted that is no longer present.

2. again the provider simply has not added the correct keyboard map

None of this has anything to do with the solusvm version, this is all related to the provider probably needing some help to configure solusvm correctly, it is not the plug and play product people may think it is and many steps that were brought out during the OnApp days were only put in to the back end and not the easy front end admin UI meaning some knowledge is required and a willingness to read the documentation.

Thanked by 2Yandex eastonch
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    None of this has anything to do with the solusvm version, this is all related to the provider probably needing some help to configure solusvm correctly, it is not the plug and play product people may think it is and many steps that were brought out during the OnApp days were only put in to the back end and not the easy front end admin UI meaning some knowledge is required and a willingness to read the documentation.

Thanks a lot.
    As you said, at least these providers I met is lazy and doesn't like to configure it well. Maybe changing to another one is the best choice for me as they all said.

edited December 2018

Yandex said: As you said, at least these providers I met is lazy and doesn't like to configure it well. Maybe changing to another one is the best choice for me as they all said.

Could be, it could just be that they are simply not aware, frankly you had to scream at OnApp to get any usable information, a lot was simply not documented.

Once you have your VPS working, you should never need to use solusvm again, I just consider it an initial install and rescue panel.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Yandex said: As you said, at least these providers I met is lazy and doesn't like to configure it well. Maybe changing to another one is the best choice for me as they all said.

Could be, it could just be that they are simply not aware, frankly you had to scream at OnApp to get any usable information, a lot was simply not documented.

Once you have your VPS working, you should never need to use solusvm again, I just consider it an initial install and rescue panel.

Have you actually completly switched over to Virtualizor in the meantime? :)

• @Yandex said: when using its VNC, I can't input the underline character (th_is, due to MarkDown language it won't display if I don't add characters before and after it), which is basically need during the netinstall -- after I clicked "th_is" from my VNC viewer, it inputs a "-", but the "th_is" is needed during netinstall,

Just curious, what physical country keyboard are you using?

I keep a US keyboard around to perform installs because I find that it's seldom clear how to set the keyboard properly under HTML5/NoVNC, and the US layout always works.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Yandex said: Does the old version (which doesn't support HTML5 noVNC) much cheaper than the new version? Why there are still so many providers using the old version.

No difference in price SolusVM the same price for old stable version and for new one, everyone is waiting for v2 but it will be never released as company probably go bust before it.

Thanked by 1Yandex
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2018

@WebProject said:

Yandex said: Does the old version (which doesn't support HTML5 noVNC) much cheaper than the new version? Why there are still so many providers using the old version.

No difference in price SolusVM the same price for old stable version and for new one, everyone is waiting for v2 but it will be never released as company probably go bust before it.

Plesk purchased SolusVM, has pushed many updates (even if small, they are fixing things). I trust that Plesk will do great with it considering their other products.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:
    Plesk purchased SolusVM, has pushed many updates (even if small, they are fixing things). I trust that Plesk will do great with it considering their other products.

Hopefully iso upload and snapshots will pop up soon. I've been considering sending them a chaser on that -- really is expected functionality these days that just doesn't exist in solus.

• @angstrom said:

I keep a US keyboard around to perform installs because I find that it's seldom clear how to set the keyboard properly under HTML5/NoVNC, and the US layout always works.

Currently I'm away from my computer, but I remember when the settings of VNC Keymap is "default", this issue would happen.

RealVNC's Android Viewer Client, Gboard's standard QWERTY keyboard (I'm not sure, but the interface is just like when you inputting passwords)

• @Yandex said:

@angstrom said:

Currently I'm away from my computer, but I remember when the settings of VNC Keymap is "default", this issue would happen.

RealVNC's Android Viewer Client, Gboard's standard QWERTY keyboard (I'm not sure, but the interface is just like when you inputting passwords)

I think that "default" is a US keyboard layout.

I've never tried to do an installation via an Android smartphone/tablet, so all I can say is that in my experience, a physical US keyboard always works for HTML5/NoVNC on Solus. I've also had a lot of frustration using non-US keyboards in the past for this task.

Ympker said: Have you actually completly switched over to Virtualizor in the meantime?

Nope, with solusvm when you know how to work with it you can manage it, virtualizor bring in new features (bugs) with each new forced release.

Thanked by 2Ympker eLohkCalb
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: Have you actually completly switched over to Virtualizor in the meantime?

Nope, with solusvm when you know how to work with it you can manage it, virtualizor bring in new features (bugs) with each new forced release.

Oh Virtualizors releases are forced? Lol never paid attention when I used it for my personal projects but that's not always the best way if unstable. I guess you've been having your fair share of fun with SolusVM long enough so I'd reckon you know how to deal with it^^

• Oh Virtualizors releases are forced? Lol never paid attention when I used it for my personal projects but that's not always the best way if unstable. I guess you've been having your fair share of fun with SolusVM long enough so I'd reckon you know how to deal with it^^

You just need to select Never Update and it wont update. Not forced anymore

• AnthonySmith said: virtualizor bring in new features (bugs)

I have a bug (regarding backup server) filed 5 months ago, till date there's still no ETA. It seems to me that they are not interested in fixing bugs.

@eLohkCalb said:

AnthonySmith said: virtualizor bring in new features (bugs)

I have a bug (regarding backup server) filed 5 months ago, till date there's still no ETA. It seems to me that they are not interested in fixing bugs.

From a developer perspective that isn't necessarily a problem. Was it an important bug or something harmless?

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited December 2018

jackb said: Was it an important bug or something harmless?

The problem is that when the master is unable to reach a backup server, you have no way to update the setting of that backup server, for example things like FTP password and etc.

This happens when the backup server is located in a different network than the master, and the backup server is assigned with only private IP address, for performance and "security" purposes.

It used to work fine previously, but failed since version 2.9.6 or so.

And well, if you don't think backup is important, then it's harmless.

EDIT:
    PS/ This "feature" works in SolusVM with no issue.

@eLohkCalb said:

jackb said: Was it an important bug or something harmless?

The problem is that when the master is unable to reach a backup server, you have no way to update the setting of that backup server, for example things like FTP password and etc.

This happens when the backup server is located in a different network than the master, and the backup server is assigned with only private IP address, for performance and "security" purposes.

It used to work fine previously, but failed since version 2.9.6 or so.

And well, if you don't think backup is important, then it's harmless.

EDIT:
    PS/ This "feature" works in SolusVM with no issue.

Unless they disabled this deliberately they should at least have let you know a workaround by now.

E.g. temporarily add the master to the private network

bigpowerhost said: You just need to select Never Update and it wont update. Not forced anymore

And then you dont get the fixes from the previous shit show of errors, its a vicious circle.

eLohkCalb said: It seems to me that they are not interested in fixing bugs.

Describe it as a feature, you might get more luck.

• jackb said: let you know a workaround by now

Nope, nil, nada. Support mentioned that they added a "feature" to check if the backup server is reachable, if not nothing can be updated, and repeatedly said that there's no ETA over the past months.

But yes I'm aware of this workaround. My concern is actually more on how they treat such bugs though.