Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a budget oriented .HK VPS (KVM highly prefered).
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a budget oriented .HK VPS (KVM highly prefered).

tcp6tcp6 Member
edited December 2018 in Requests

Greetings,

I am in need of a budget oriented VPS server with with the following specs:

• Must be based in Hong-Kong.
  • 1 vCore.
  • 1GB of RAM (512MB is not acceptable).
  • Highly prefered KVM over OpenVZ.
  • TAP/TUN enabled (if OpenVZ).
  • FUSE kernel module must be available (if OpenVZ).
  • Preferably at least 30GB of SSD space (20GB is bare minimum, HDD over SSD is tolerable as last resort...).
  • Unmetered (or at least 1TB/month of international trafic).
  • Decent routes to Singapore (equal or less than 35ms ideally).

Thank you.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

What is your budget?

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@FAT32 said:
    What is your budget?

It all depends on the VPS whether it is KVM vs. OpenVZ and/or uses a SSD vs. HDD.

• @tcp6 said:

@FAT32 said:
    What is your budget?

It all depends on the VPS whether it is KVM vs. OpenVZ and/or uses a SSD vs. HDD.

Of course.
    Any numbers?

• I'm currently suscribed to an OpenVZ VPS with the following specs: 1GB of RAM, 500GB of traffic, 15GB SSD for 5.99$/month and I'm highly unsatisfied because:

• TUN/TAP performance is terrible.
    • FUSE is not available from the provider unless I upgrade to a higher service/more costly.
    • The SSH lags quite a bit.
    • Whenever the SSH lags out, I notice latency spikes and even packet losses.
    • Their tickets are slowly answered, average 72 hours during business days, more like 96 hours during week-ends.

I have been with them for almost a year as it was a yearly payment through PayPal, it is time to "go".

Any KVM with identical and/or better specs within the same price range or cheaper would be a win-win situation to me.

Feel free to tell me if my expectations are unrealistic at that price tag.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Good luck with your budget.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @eol said:
    Good luck with your budget.

Feel free to tell me what should I expect to pay for a similar specced KVM VPS in Hong Kong?

Thanks.

• $5.

• @eol said:
    $5.

Would you be kind enough to recommend a provider?

Thanks.

• I have no personal experience regarding asian providers or VPS in Asia.

• @eol said:
    I have no personal experience regarding asian providers or VPS in Asia.

Thanks for your input.

• You're welcome.

Thanked by 1lontong
  • LOL! Trolling gone bad.

• Anyone knows what to expect with a monthly budget of 7$-10$?

Thanks.

@tcp6 said:
    Anyone knows what to expect with a monthly budget of 7$-10$?

Thanks.

So far the cheapest one would be Aliyun (AlibabaCloud) but I am not sure how it is charged for international clients. The price is only $3.49/m that fulfil all your requirements.

• @FAT32 said:

@tcp6 said:
    Anyone knows what to expect with a monthly budget of 7$-10$?

Thanks.

So far the cheapest one would be Aliyun (AlibabaCloud) but I am not sure how it is charged for international clients. The price is only $3.49/m that fulfil all your requirements.

I will look into it right away.

Thanks.

edited December 2018

I only managed to get the Chinese version but you can try out using the link below.
    The spec is as follow:
    1 vCPU / 1G RAM / 25G SSD (RAID 10) / 1T Bandwidth @ 30Mbps / 1 IPv4

This should be the link: https://common-buy-intl.aliyun.com/?commodityCode=swas&regionId=cn-hongkong#/buy

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@FAT32 said:
    I only managed to get the Chinese version but you can try out using the link below.
    The spec is as follow:
    1 vCPU / 1G RAM / 25G SSD (RAID 10) / 1T Bandwidth @ 30Mbps / 1 IPv4

This should be the link: https://common-buy-intl.aliyun.com/?commodityCode=swas&regionId=cn-hongkong#/buy

It seems we’re looking at an 9$/month offer with no mention of customizable reverse DNS whatsoever or the technology used, either KVM or OpenVZ.

Either way I’ll keep looking in the $5-$7 price range, I have no use for 30Mbps or 30G SSD at this point, 20G should be fine with a hardcap at 10Mbps is plenty enough for my needs.

Thanks.

My mistake, it is a promotion only for Chinese customers. It is priced at 24 RMB ($3.49 USD) and limited to 5 VPS per customer. That explain the pricing differences.

Fyi, it is KVM and RDNS should be supported. It is a similar product to Amazon Lightsail.

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited December 2018

try hosthongkong.net, they are here at LET but I forgot what their username is.

edit: @randvegeta

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @FAT32 said:
    My mistake, it is a promotion only for Chinese customers. It is priced at 24 RMB ($3.49 USD) and limited to 5 VPS per customer. That explain the pricing differences.

Thanks for your help regardless. :smile:

• @NanoG6 said:
    try hosthongkong.net, they are here at LET but I forgot what their username is.

edit: @randvegeta

Sadly it seems all the good "promotional" deals are either sold out/out of stock:

https://www.hosthongkong.net/billing/cart.php?gid=10

A HK-KVM-LET-SPECIAL-1G would have been perfect. Could even prepay a couple of years in advance at that rate, given they accept PayPal as payment method, oh well...

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • tcp6 said: Could even prepay a couple of years in advance at that rate

I believe @randvegeta can make a deal for you. He's a good guy

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @NanoG6 said:

tcp6 said: Could even prepay a couple of years in advance at that rate

I believe @randvegeta can make a deal for you. He's a good guy

Cool, it’s 21:21 to 23:21 in Asia depending on the timezone also we’re on a Saturday night which adds up, I think I l’ll get in touch with @randvegeta soon’ish.

Thanks again!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Im in Lithuania now. I work weekends too. What about your China traffic? Do you need any? We mainly to Xen but can do KVM also.

What exactly are you looking for?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Firstly it's too expense, secondly, single-homed Telstra is not everyone's cup of tea, not to mention it is currently routed from Europe to HK through Australia for me (no wonder, Telstra's homeland).

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@randvegeta said:

What exactly are you looking for?

Well it's pretty hard to describe but here goes; I need a "KVM tool box" to replace the current one which is failing hard.

Specs should be;

• KVM if possible,
    • 1vCore,
    • 1G of RAM,
    • 30G of SSD space (can go as low as 15G if it "has to be", HDD is tolerable too as last resort),
    • Debian 9.x (Debian 8 is acceptable),
    • 1 IPv4,
    • No China bandwidth/route really required,
    • Unmetered preferably,
    • Will be using about 4Mbps to 5Mbps outbound,
    • Peer with the big guys at HKIX with some extra "presence" at HK1 Equinix would be good as I have other machines physically present at SG1 Equinix, 30ms between both DC is expected.

The "KVM tool box" will be used as secondary DNS, MX for personal domain names (less than 100 mails a day), run some kind of LG for some projects, a bit of traffic towards the rest of South-East Asia (babeld, tinc, openvpn, stunnel).

And I need it cheaply as possible, really.

Thanks!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

tcp6 said: secondary DNS, MX for personal domain names (less than 100 mails a day), run some kind of LG for some projects, a bit of traffic towards the rest of South-East Asia (babeld, tinc, openvpn, stunnel).

Still no reason to require 1GB ram and not 512MB. All that you listed if set up right (e.g. nginx, not Apache) would fit under 200 or 300 MB used.

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

Hello.

@randvegeta Should I PM you or something? :smile:

Thanks.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@tcp6 said:
    Hello.

@randvegeta Should I PM you or something? :smile:

Thanks.

Sure. Or skype me (same screen name)