Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iOS client for Lowendtalk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iOS client for Lowendtalk

Is anyone interested? In order to boost my iOS experience and because I also love LET (l do browse regularly) I would like to make a client for iOS users. Does anyone have any complaints? Especially requesting for permission from LET.

Thanked by 1eol
Vote your opinion
  1. Are you interested?47 votes
    1. Hell yeah
      34.04%
    2. Fuck off
      65.96%

Comments

• We don't need it. Mobile site works fine. Someone else tried it for android not long ago and it went nowhere fast. We need less apps in our lives lol

Thanked by 2dedotatedwam Hxxx
  • @dahartigan said:
    We don't need it. Mobile site works fine. Someone else tried it for android not long ago and it went nowhere fast. We need less apps in our lives lol

Well this is going to be different because I can add support for login, message and notification. Also it’s going to be a lot faster than browsing via mobile web browsers. But tes LET mobile sites is fine too!

• Good luck with your budget project

Thanked by 2eol Letzien
  • why not?

• @creep said:
    why not?

Permission required.

• @dahartigan said:
    Good luck with your budget project

I’m a iOS developer already and have made few apps. Currently one of my app is on TestFlight testing and is full. It’s about time.. not budget!

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited December 2018

Learning through project is fun but I assume you are still new to iOS development. Therefore, I believe that there are a lot of things that can go wrong. For example, how are you sure that your app is secure? LET is considered a big community with about 180,000 users, the cost for a mistake will be high. Besides that, what is the privacy policy in this case?

I like your initiative to bring more value to the community but I don't think a iOS app is necessary. I agree that it is cool to have but the added value might not be a lot.

EDIT: If you have made a few apps, show us some of your work. An app can be done in 24 hours during a hackathon or even 1 year for a fully functional app

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Yeah do it, it's people choice whether they use it or not. I would, if it's anywhere near good.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @FAT32 said:
    Learning through project is fun but I assume you are still new to iOS development. Therefore, I believe that there are a lot of things that can go wrong. For example, how are you sure that your app is secure? LET is considered a big community with about 180,000 users, the cost for a mistake will be high. Besides that, what is the privacy policy in this case?

I like your initiative to bring more value to the community but I don't think a iOS app is necessary. I agree that it is cool to have but the added value might not be a lot.

>

The app would be as secure as possible because all the data will be handled on the device using iOS keychain and we will use Lowendtalk domain for authentication. I can discuss further about this with LET admin.

• naranjatechnaranjatech Member, Patron Provider

As an iPhone user I would really welcome an iOS app!

Go for it!

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@sayem314 said:

The app would be as secure as possible because all the data will be handled on the device using iOS keychain and we will use Lowendtalk domain for authentication. I can discuss further about this with LET admin.

"All the data" and "Using LET domain for authentication" are too vague, it makes me feels like you didn't have experience on integrating third-party apps.

I doubt you even think about the implementation, how are you going to achieve notifications without adding new components to the backend? Either you have another backend server or you have to modify Vanilla forum, either of them will have more security concerns than just "Handling all the data in keychain".

Thanked by 2FHR dedotatedwam
  • An app already exists? https://www.vanilla-app.com/

Thanked by 1eol
  • Good job, Sherlock.

• @bohdans said:
    An app already exists? https://www.vanilla-app.com/

Investment of 400 euro a month on dead ship?

• @crpatel thats was the point I was making. Sorry if I was not clear.
    It's been done, was generic to all Vanilla Forums, and searching the AppStore the only publish copy of the app seems to be the demo.
    I personally would love an iOS app, but would probably better to create a tapatalk style app, rather than a forum specific one.

• no, its not social media

• Invest your valuable time in something better.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Honestly not worth it, mobile site is fine. Even if you did manage to pull a rabbit out of your hat Apple won't accept it into the store because it won't have any feature differences from the mobile site.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2018

Safari works just fine for me. I know my example is far from ideal, in fact, quite the opposite of ideal, but...

The thing is, centralized web applications need to not overstep their boundaries even more so. For such, an independent browser is more than enough. No need to give them more power over the users.

Therefore, no youtube/facebook/instagram/twitter/linkedin/whatever app should ever exist.

@sayem314 Want a coding challenge? Reverse engineer/rewrite Motorhead PC to run on Linux, natively.

Thanked by 1eol
  • I'd prefer Tron 2.0.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

I don't believe a mobile app is necessary. The mobile site works fine for me on my iPhone

• It’s a nice idea but think it will be more of a headache for you than anything else

• I highly recommend that you make a multi-language converter, such as Chinese.