Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this offer for real by contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this offer for real by contabo?

https://contabo.com/?show=configurator&vserver_id=245

10 cores , 60 (sixty, six-zero) gb ram, 1.6tb ssd + 24/7 support.

2000 $? no
200 $? no
27$ /month...

is this for real? any one is using this offer?

Comments

• It's not an offer, it's part of their general slices:

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Check some reviews, here at LET I haven't seen a positive remark about them... but no experience with them for myself.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@ARiEWWW said:
    It's not an offer, it's part of their general slices:

Check some reviews, here at LET I haven't seen a positive remark about them... but no experience with them for myself.

Sweet pricing though, still

• @ARiEWWW said:

i was looking there... incredibile how this is possible, for 27$ they give you a beast..

i still remain skeptical

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • I believe @Ympker has experience with them if I remember correctly.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@sdfantini said:

@ARiEWWW said:

i was looking there... incredibile how this is possible, for 27$ they give you a beast..

i still remain skeptical

I'd be highly surprised if the memory was not oversold ;-).

• @Clouvider said:

@sdfantini said:

@ARiEWWW said:

i still remain skeptical

I'd be highly surprised if the memory was not oversold ;-).

they say "guaranteed" :(

• can someone do some benchmarks on this vps and post back here?

• @vish said:
    can someone do some benchmarks on this vps and post back here?

great idea..anyone? :)

• About 2 years ago, I have seen a provider that used SSD storage as RAM for there KVM Guests.

Maybe? Just maybe?
    Someone should check the RAM speed :wink:

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2018

For what you pay it's a great vps lineup and support ist fast to sort things out via phone ;) Uptime has been good too.
    Even if a bit oversold (haven't recognized any actual spikes that would indicate this though) a solid choice for hosting some Websites/Gameservers at a good price point.
    Check my signature for benchmarks. If anything the network is probably not "best" but not bad either.

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited December 2018

My last Contabo would choke on something as simple as a small Postgres DB, and I/O would die as soon as i committed writes.

It's okay if you want to use it at 20% load, but don't expect to use all of that specs.

Also, Contabo support is pretty much somebody replying with copy-paste answers.

• I've got a box with Contabo. Agree with ympker for what you pay its great. Theres about 10 sites on there but they don't stress the server so can't say had any issues like edfox has. Had it since 23rd Oct and has 100% uptime measured by Hetrix.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • well I used cores there with 100% load over days, why should ram then be oversold there? that was not my impression, disc system then was HDD (substituted ram with disc I would have noticed) and had 6 GB ram for windows server 2008 running, was smooth but did not run a benchmark though

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2018

sdfantini said: they say "guaranteed"

Let me make it simple:

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Curious to see their network stability and performance... Offers are pretty amazing tbh.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

Compared to dedi, I hate VPS no matter what.

• Any looking glass, test file or test ip?

• @MikePT said:
    Curious to see their network stability and performance... Offers are pretty amazing tbh.

Network performance is why I left them, it's pretty bad with a lot of hickups and things like that.

@solaire said:

@MikePT said:

Network performance is why I left them, it's pretty bad with a lot of hickups and things like that.

Recent experience tho? What about the hw performance and their ddos protection?

• @MikePT said:

@solaire said:

@MikePT said:

Yeah very recent experience, my contabo vps is set to expire tomorrow. Hardware performance is okay, as long as your data is cached on their ssd drives. Once it's off the cache, which is quite soon, it takes seconds to even respond to "docker ps". For the money, that's obviously not an issue. It's generally well performing, it's just that the networking was so bad that connection resets happen on a regular base, which is something I don't want to live with. Geographically, my home is less than 500 kilometers away from their datacenter so it's not that I'm a different continent or whatever.

Ddos protection no clue, I don't attract kiddies.

I have some smokeping statistics I can probably pull. Usually connection spikes for few minutes a few times a day. I'm about to board a plane, but can obtain some smokeping stuff tomorrow. It's not detected by monitoring tools because essentially the service still responds, it's just very slow, resulting in TCP timeouts even.

Thanked by 2MikePT uptime

@solaire said:

@MikePT said:

@solaire said:

@MikePT said:

Yeah very recent experience, my contabo vps is set to expire tomorrow. Hardware performance is okay, as long as your data is cached on their ssd drives. Once it's off the cache, which is quite soon, it takes seconds to even respond to "docker ps". For the money, that's obviously not an issue. It's generally well performing, it's just that the networking was so bad that connection resets happen on a regular base, which is something I don't want to live with. Geographically, my home is less than 500 kilometers away from their datacenter so it's not that I'm a different continent or whatever.

Ddos protection no clue, I don't attract kiddies.

I have some smokeping statistics I can probably pull. Usually connection spikes for few minutes a few times a day. I'm about to board a plane, but can obtain some smokeping stuff tomorrow. It's not detected by monitoring tools because essentially the service still responds, it's just very slow, resulting in TCP timeouts even.

Thank you very much. Do you have an SSD or SSD Cached VPS?

Have you reported the network issues? If so, what did they say?

• is their VPS S plan (SSD, $4.99/mo) good to run few wordpress sites with low traffic - 12K to 15K u.v. daily total?

• @MikePT said: Thank you very much. Do you have an SSD or SSD Cached VPS?

That's be SSD cached. I haven't reported the network issues. Probably should have, but meh, just took my stuff and moved it elsewhere.

@solaire said:

@MikePT said: Thank you very much. Do you have an SSD or SSD Cached VPS?

That's be SSD cached. I haven't reported the network issues. Probably should have, but meh, just took my stuff and moved it elsewhere.

Makes sense, hmhm, thanks for your comments, I appreciate!

Thanked by 1solaire
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited December 2018

@MikePT said:

You're most welcome. Here's smokeping reports for the last 10 days from 3 different servers that I pulled just now. I have a few more locations running Smokeping (most LES locations), but results are quite similar.

Germany (Hetzner)

Bulgary (Telepoint)

USA, North Carolina, Lenoir (Dacentec)

Thanked by 2MikePT eol

@solaire said:

@MikePT said:

You're most welcome. Here's smokeping reports for the last 10 days from 3 different servers that I pulled just now. I have a few more locations running Smokeping (most LES locations), but results are quite similar.

Germany (Hetzner)

Bulgary (Telepoint)

USA, North Carolina, Lenoir (Dacentec)

Damn. They need to fix their shit.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2018

Contabo VPS offer is real. Have been with them for a few months on the M SSD. For this price their hardware is unbeatable. I think for the CPU it's running DDR4? haven't been able to find anything close.

Their customer service is also relatively prompt and answers my questions (as a novice VPS user) pretty well.

Unfortunately the network stability is a concern since I run (only) 1 x live site. 400mbit not an issue since site doesn't serve nor stream large file content, but often the speeds are lower.

It's also wasting all that powerful compute resources and rarely goes beyond 1.2GB ram even with Plesk.

Did contact contabo before on "low speeds to Asia", their reply is that they "do not control network". But have done speed tests throughout the day , sometimes it does 100mbit, sometimes half.

Generally their server uptime is good, I think there is Raid 10? But recently my VPS was unreachable via SSH/Plesk for no reason, no downtime news on their status monitoring site. Had to reboot via Contabo console and rest of the day it was slow I/O at 30MB/s. After a day it was back to normal ~400MB/s.

Anyway my issue is latency spikes, so will be shifting out next week to a much lower spec vps at similar price, but rather good gbit speeds.

Very novice bench below:

Thanked by 3eol gol3m solaire