Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Hosting for Magento?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Hosting for Magento?

Hi, I'm looking for a hosting provider that would be able to handle Magento. I tried using other providers but Magento complained about the fact that PHP exec() was disabled and that the max MBs available to it was too little for its minimum requirements. I have seen providers out there that offer special shared hosting for Magento but they all require 1 years worth of payment upfront. I'd prefer if the hosting were in the US and possibly offer 1GB of memory available. Thanks

Comments

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

We ourselfs provide magento hosting though i would not recommend it either way in a shared hosting. You're better off some VPS that would handle it. Magento is a heavy platform and it will be very slow & bad performance in a shared hosting.

Boo, it might even kill it : |

• What sort of budget do you have? Any other specific requirements? This will help us to narrow your search for you :)

• @armandorg said:
    We ourselfs provide magento hosting though i would not recommend it either way in a shared hosting. You're better off some VPS that would handle it. Magento is a heavy platform and it will be very slow & bad performance in a shared hosting.

If you provide Magento hosting, but wouldn't recommend it, doesn't it just mean that your shared hosting apparently sucks?

Thanked by 1southy

@Zerpy said:

@armandorg said:

If you provide Magento hosting, but wouldn't recommend it, doesn't it just mean that your shared hosting apparently sucks?

Well, first, i’m speaking in general. I strongly do not recommend it, thats about it

• @armandorg said:

@Zerpy said:

@armandorg said:

Well, first, i’m speaking in general. I strongly do not recommend it, thats about it

How about Drupal or PHPCake?

• @Zerpy said:

My thought exactly.
    There is no rule that shared hosting must have less ressources than a VPS.
    Except that, of course, this is LET here, so it will.

• @southy said:

Other than the fact you generally spend ~$3/yr on cheap shared hosting, and $3/mo on cheap VPS?

@southy said:

@Zerpy said:

My thought exactly.

No one will give you high resources for a 5 buck a year hosting. It simply is not worth it, oh well ofcourse if you do not wish to go deadpool within a few months.

@Letzien said:

@armandorg said:

@Zerpy said:

@armandorg said:

How about Drupal or PHPCake?

Drupal is just fine, can use it on shared without a second thought. Magento is way too heavy and ‘resource eater’.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited December 2018

@Letzien said:

@southy said:

Other than the fact you generally spend ~$3/yr on cheap shared hosting, and $3/mo on cheap VPS?

The cheap VPS comes with 1x dedicated IPv4 for that price. Shared hosting usually doesn't unless you're a ponny.

I got a 128mb OVZ NAT for $1/y from Cam, with CloudFlare IPv6->IPv4 you can easily host a few websites. And it will be more stable than your usual $3/y shared hosting

• @Letzien said:

@southy said:

Why did you stop reading after my 2nd line. There was one more:

Elsewhere you will definitely get shared hosting with way enough to run Magneto.
    Just not here / for the prices on display here.

Again: there is no inner logic that requires shared hosting to have less ressources. It would rather be the other way around, looking at the overhead by running another OS and the costs e.g. for an IPv4...
    Just that here is not the best place to seach for it.

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited December 2018

@southy said:

@Letzien said:

@southy said:

Why did you stop reading after my 2nd line.

Because you seem to post only to bitch about things and ignore things such as common sense in virtually every post.

Example 2: Your latest gripe about wanting your money back if you forget to cancel, even though it costs the provider time and money.

I've pretty much decided to discount virtually anything you post, tbh.

• Do you guy know how to install magento on nginx. Cause I’m having trouble with the rewrite rule, oh, at least I suppose.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2018

Anyone who has ever had the job of sysadmin to a bunch of customers running Magento knows two things for sure:

Use someone who specializes in Magento, avoid anyone looking for a quick cheap sale on their unheard of shared hosting company.

More than a few people I’ve told “the only place you can go from here is Magento enterprise or stop using bad software.”

• southysouthy Member
    edited December 2018

@Letzien said:

@southy said:

@Letzien said:

@southy said:

Why did you stop reading after my 2nd line.

Because you seem to post only to bitch about things and ignore things such as common sense in virtually every post.

The OP asked for a "Hosting provider that can handle Magneto".
    People suggested VPS.
    I simply noted that "shared hosting" should not be taken off the table so lightly: There are a lot of providers that even specialize in offering shared hosting for "heavvy use" such as Magento, a larger Typo3 or even a mid-sized shop or business application.

I also noted (which you chose to ignore) that this will obviously not be available for "LET Shared hosting budget money" but rather cost closer to the cost of a decent VPS.
    Not surprisingly, as it might require similar ressources.

And there are a lot of reasons to do it that way - I would even go so far to say: If he just wants to have magneto and either does not have or is not willing to invest the additional effort/money/skillset/ressources that it requires to set up and maintain a server... then why on the world should he NOT go with "shared" instead of a full VPS.

@AgentICS check out mittwald.de if you're from germany. They specalise in such heavvy duty use cases.
    It will cost you about the price of a VPS, but it will give you much more value if you do not know how to operate a server.

@Letzien
    You call this contribution of mine "bitching" and "lack of common sense"?
    Are you nuts?

Example 2: Your latest gripe about wanting your money back if you forget to cancel, even though it costs the provider time and money.

Oh I'm so sorry that a business that offers services to customers might be supposed to do things that cost time and money.
    This thought must really be pulling you out of your comfort zone, right?
    How could I even dare to politely ask here if my complaint if justified (which is what my initial question was).

I've pretty much decided to discount virtually anything you post, tbh.

What a moron.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Talk to @RyanD

• Zerpy said: If you provide Magento hosting, but wouldn't recommend it, doesn't it just mean that your shared hosting apparently sucks?

Nah... Magento is a resoure vampire. Not suited at all on a shared host

• I've dealt with Magento in many capacities over the years working tech support and it's definitely the least user friendly of the 'big boys' ie WordPress, Joomla, etc. For me I also found it the hardest to debug, there's numerous times I've thought to myself 'why on earth do people use this?'.

• Magento is CPU bound. So as others have said, don't even consider shared hosting unless you have <10 concurrent traffic.

Plus the core is comes with multiple weird bugs. Want to guess who need plugin to fix core issue?
    https://github.com/magemojo/m2-ce-cron

I've worked with number of Magento-based site. If you have the money, just go for the experts at Sonassi or MageMojo. Otherwise get VPS with enough resource.

https://www.sonassi.com/help/reference/cpu-sizing

Thanked by 1eol
  • @kkrajk said:

Zerpy said: If you provide Magento hosting, but wouldn't recommend it, doesn't it just mean that your shared hosting apparently sucks?

Nah... Magento is a resoure vampire. Not suited at all on a shared host

"Shared host" is a broad area, if I have a server with 20 cores, 40 threads, 512GB RAM, and has let's say 10-20 customers on it, it's still shared hosting, and it will be perfectly fine at doing Magento Hosting, especially if a provider decides to opt for solutions such as LiteSpeed and LiteMage :)

I happen to run fairly high traffic Magento shops on shared hosting (not $1/month plans), and it works perfectly fine.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

We have one-click Magento or Magento Auto Scaleable HA cluster (Varnish, Redis, Nginx, Mysql ) on our https://CloudJiffy.com PaaS.

It automatically scales vertically and horizontally based on your traffic and is billed per hour. You get full SSH and configuration file access. Our US region is in Los Angeles, CA.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

We work (privately - development) with a number of Magento clients. For a small shop, a good shared host might work. For anything serious I would highly recommend:

1. Have someone competent set it up and secure it.
    2. Consider separating the database and webhost. Backup both.
    3. Choose a provider you can start small and grow with.
    4. Have someone you can call on to help tune.

Magento under load is a bit of a beast. My standard is atleast 4 production hosts (two web, two database) with a CDN and load balancer in front.

For smaller use cases, scale down as needed.