Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 2012 vs Windows 2008 Harddrive Requirements
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows 2012 vs Windows 2008 Harddrive Requirements

gksgks Member

I have a 20 GB SSD drive (as part of VirMach deal), Windows 2012 pre-installed in that. Out of 20 GB, already 13 GB was taken for Windows vanilla installation, only 7 GB left out. Can I save some space by using Windows 2008? VirMach guys not ready to increase the SSD space even I promised with an add on payment, so I need to run with this limited box for a year.

My requirements are basically to use this to install Power BI software.

Comments

• 20 Gb too low for Windows. Need at least 30 Gb with all updates.

Thanked by 1eol
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

2008R2 also takes around 13GB.

This information was available to you before you purchased the VPS though and is a simple google question now.

My suggestion would be to ask them to consider moving you to a none SSD product of a similar value that offers more space and just suck up the performance hit or go to the next package up and pay the difference (Do not JUST ask for a disk space only upgrade)

• @AnthonySmith, Thank you, I asked them to increase SSD space for additional payment, they told no, they can't change the spec. I am not sure they agree for none SSD space too, but I will try my luck. If not, I could use this as Linux box or transfer to other member who is in need in this community.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

gks said: @AnthonySmith, Thank you, I asked them to increase SSD space for additional payment, they told no, they can't change the spec. I am not sure they agree for none SSD space too, but I will try my luck. If not, I could use this as Linux box or transfer to other member who is in need in this community.

Yes but there is a difference between changing the 'package' and changing the 'spec'

They probably think you expect some sort of discount for ONLY asking for more disk, instead lets say what you bought was:

2CPU
    2GB RAM
    20GB SSD
    $2.50

There must be a package like:

2CPU
    4GB RAM
    40GB SSD
    $5.00

Ask to upgrade the plan/package not just the disk

• @AnthonySmith said:

gks said: @AnthonySmith, Thank you, I asked them to increase SSD space for additional payment, they told no, they can't change the spec. I am not sure they agree for none SSD space too, but I will try my luck. If not, I could use this as Linux box or transfer to other member who is in need in this community.

Yes but there is a difference between changing the 'package' and changing the 'spec'

They probably think you expect some sort of discount for ONLY asking for more disk, instead lets say what you bought was:

2CPU
    2GB RAM
    20GB SSD
    $2.50

There must be a package like:

2CPU
    4GB RAM
    40GB SSD
    $5.00

Ask to upgrade the plan/package not just the disk

Sure, I will approach them with this option, thank you again.

• Good luck with your luck.

• @eol said:
    Good luck with your luck.

Honestly, I am doubtful, I will ask them once, otherwise transfer to other community member for Linux usage. Thanks for suggestion