Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which GeoIP database is used by the BBC for its iPlayer to detect the geolocation of an IP address?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which GeoIP database is used by the BBC for its iPlayer to detect the geolocation of an IP address?

Does anyone know which GeoIP database the BBC uses to detect the geolocation of an IP address?
These are the best known ones:

• MaxMind
  • Neustar IP Intelligence
  • IP2Location
  • IPinfo.io
  • DB-IP
  • Digital Element
  • Eurekapi

If you know more, please let me know.
Thanks.

Comments

• Probably a combination of the above + custom database.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

Have you tried contacting BBC's noc?

• You're still going to need a license.

• bookreaderbookreader Member
    edited November 2018

@1gservers said:

Yes, I did that after reading your response.
    Hope to get any reply.

• Good luck with your reply.

Thanked by 2Clouvider nulldev
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

@bookreader said:

@1gservers said:

Yes, I did that after reading your response.
    Hope to get any reply.

Dear @BBC,
    How to get around your security platform ?

• aliletalilet Member
    edited November 2018

@1gservers said:

Instructions unclear. Contacted BBC instead of BBC

• It’s a handcrafted DB. They visit the houses of folks with TV licenses once every 6 months and ask them what their IP is.

The most effective way to get around the block is to move to the UK and get a license, then you can cunningly give them your VPN IP instead of your home IP, they’ll never know!

Thanked by 3eol J1021 kmas
  • My guess will be either Maxmind or IP2Location or both. They are the pioneers in the geolocation industry.

• mikec said: My guess will be either Maxmind or IP2Location or both. They are the pioneers in the geolocation industry.

They don't use either

• One thread pull away from being HF at this rate. Sadly, evading restrictions on licensed content posts are allowed on here and even soliciting services for this sole task. Sad!

Hey Nike, how do you detect shoe proxies?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2018

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ104 HTH, FWIW although there may not be the full BBC schedule on those services you don't need a license to watch them, plus you get all kinds of other content, plus older BBC stuff that gets removed from the iplayer after a length of time.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited December 2018

I'm guessing they want access to the on-demand content, not the live channels, as those are easily found on alternative services

• mikec said: My guess will be either Maxmind or IP2Location or both. They are the pioneers in the geolocation industry.

And super bad. I always when had experience with maxmind and ip2location received absolutely incorrect information about IP address in 10 cases from 20. (or in 50% tries).

• Honestly detecting it would be easy. Resolve an IP's RDNS and check a /24 on a regular basis? How many residential ISPs have RDNS that'll look like a /24

This discussion has been closed.