Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is difference between vps RAM and dedicated server RAM ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is difference between vps RAM and dedicated server RAM ?

20142014 Member

Hi , Tell me what is difference between vps RAM and dedicated server RAM ? i mean , VPS 4GB and dedicated server 4 GB RAM is different ?
Our Android App is Hosted in 4GB VPS but App is take lot of RAM Use for Less than 100 Active Users in one time.. its location based app..just show only near by location.. why its take very high ram usage ? if i move to dedicated server so problem will closes?

Comments

• How did you check your ram usage?

• @Silvest said:
    How did you check your ram usage?

From Hosting Control Panel ( Server Usage Graphs )

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

Hi,

why its take very high ram usage ?

That's your App, only you can know what's it's doing, how it works, and why it consumes RAM.

if i move to dedicated server so problem will closes?

If I take in consideration the information provided in your message, the answer is "no".

If the problem relies to RAM usage, 4GB on the VPS or 4GB on a dedicated server , the problem will still be there.

Now about he difference between a VPS and a Dedicated server, you can refer to this other discussion : https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/153696/vps-or-dedi-any-disadvantages-of-dedicated-servers

ps: keep in mind that, the memory usage is made of several things, the memory effectively used by application(s) , but also read buffers & caches. The OS will consume all free memory to cache files, and speed up their access. And release this cache as apps needs more memory.

• RAM on VPS and dedicated server is basically the same, where you see the most difference is processor efficiency. By the sound of it, your App just seems to need a little optimization if you think it shouldn't use that much RAM to run, but you gotta look at your app first.

Switching to a dedicated server with the same 4 GB RAM will give you the exact same issue, you'll just be paying more for it. Go into your app and make some tweaks, maybe optimize your DB a little, that can make a huge difference

• qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

On VPS You can always buy higher plan and get for example 8GB RAM, on dedi there might be a little more problem with that.