Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get Nyr's OpenVPN script running with systemd on an OpenVZ container?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get Nyr's OpenVPN script running with systemd on an OpenVZ container?

Hellas!

I am used to throw Nyr's OpenVPN install script (most of you probably know it) on Debian 8 servers without any issues, no matter what the virtualization is. But I cannot seem to get it to work on Debian 9 servers using systemd. On an OpenVZ container, in that special case.

Have you run into that problem too?
Is there any known workaround?

This is with a VPS that I recently bought from @AnthonySmith. The install works fine with Debian 8 there, but not with Debian 9 (or CentOS 7). This is, of course, not Anthony's fault. I am just tagging him here because he may be familiar with my question...

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

It might be valuable to share any output that states it's "not working". I assume you have some errors/ logs?

Thanked by 13606202
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use OpenVPN-AS (access server) so not a problem I have had.

Thanked by 13606202
  • Debian 9 is cancer.

• the workaround would be to use https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install that fixed the problem a long time ago.

Thanked by 23606202 Chuck
  • 36062023606202 Member
    edited November 2018

@RickBakkr said:
    It might be valuable to share any output that states it's "not working". I assume you have some errors/ logs?

Indeed, sorry. Installation goes through without issues, but the OpenVPN service cannot get started because it somehow fucks up with systemd or vice versa. I don't have the exact error message at hand now, because I reinstalled the server with Debian 8. No problem with that version.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I use OpenVPN-AS (access server) so not a problem I have had.

That would be another option, thanks for the reminder. Two concurrent connections should generally be sufficient, I guess. Not willing to pay for a license, to be honest.

@CyberMonday said:
    Debian 9 is cancer.

I generally like it. Systemd... Let's not start that. It's there, I have to live with it, I guess.

@JoeMerit said:
    the workaround would be to use https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install that fixed the problem a long time ago.

Thanks! I was aware of Angristan's script, but remember that there was a lot of controversy about it and some beef between Nyr and Angristan. No idea about the background, to be honest. But that is why I was always hesitating to use it. It is safe to say that this reservation is superfluous in the meantime?

• I dont care if they had beef. The thing works. I also like OpenVPN-AS.

Thanked by 13606202
  • Yes, I can confirm this. Just tried Angristan's script on the abovementioned VPS and it works fine with Debian 9. Thanks again!

• @3606202 said:
    Systemd... Let's not start that. It's there, I have to live with it, I guess.

No one has to live with that insane piece of crap.
    There are choices.