Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone here have experience with Subwoofers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone here have experience with Subwoofers?

So I'd like to go one step more in the direction of having a "home theater" and to that end am thinking about getting a subwoofer to get that "vibrating"/shaking sound effect sorta you get when you are in the cinema. My girlfriend and I have been at a local tech store and were able to try some Bose Subwoofer system setup which was pretty great but didn't opt for it due to it's price tag. I've been looking for various subwoofers now and the question I currently have, whether it does actually make sense for me to buy a subwoofer and if there are any requirements to be met. Currently my TV is attached to the wall of my room, with like 3-4 metres distance to the couch/sofa where we'd be sitting when watching TV. The room itself is rather small, too so it shouldn't be an issue of the room being too big. Currently my TV's sound output is directed through a Marshall Stanmore sound box, so not even two different speakers which brings me to the question if I'd actually need a different audio setup for the subwoofer to have any effect worth mentioning. Any previous experience/tips appreciated :)

Kind regards,
Ympker

Comments

• Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Thanked by 3Ympker imok vimalware
  • @eol said:
    Buy Other Sound Equipment.

Fair point to make and that was also the reason I was asking. The Stanmore is great for what it is and I bought it mainly to listen music and have something better than the audio speakers from the TV for watching Netflix, but nothing more. So you'd recommend to get several speakers when going for a subwoofer setup, too then? I take it these all-in-one subwoofer-virtual surround sound soundbars are crap?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

I am waiting for you ask advice on girlfriends, wife, houses, mortgages, condoms, cars, air planes, and hitmen.

Thanked by 3imok vimalware quick
  • Where can I order that? Any BF discount?

@deank said:
    I am waiting for you ask advice on girlfriends, wife, houses, mortgages, condoms, cars, air planes, and hitmen.

To be continued.. :)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I know the best hitman for hire.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Subwoofer is a must have in my opinion. The sound is so much better

Thanked by 2Ympker eol
  • @FHR said:
    Subwoofer is a must have in my opinion. The sound is so much better

Which one are you using?

@deank said:
    I know the best hitman for hire.

Sweet ;)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Ympker said: Subwoofer is a must have in my opinion. The sound is so much better

Which one are you using?

I'm afraid you can't buy mine :) I'm using a heavily modified old Genius home theater set. Basically thrown out all internal electronics and replaced with my own, leaving only the speakers and subwoofer with its enclosure.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Usually I am building my own, so can't give any recommendations unfortunately.
    But I like Focal speakers.

• A single sound box for cinema experience... no way. Only in marketing terms. Soundbars? Never.

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDV-E4100-Digital-Blu-ray-Theatre/dp/B00CGFWF50 and sounds amazing. You can feel how the objects move around you while watching the movies, if speakers are placed and configured correctly.

Nowadays there must be better options but Sony is really good working with sound. I can feel the bass in the stomach :smiley:

I also have the Presonus Eris 3.5 studio monitors https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris-E35

Not intended for movies but they have really clear sound and are cheap, and would sound great. Perfect levels on low and high frequencies. So sweet when I watch trailers on YouTube on the computer, but better when listening to music. Only useful if you like the highest quality sound.

Those Eris next to a Presonus Temblor T8 should be outstanding. I wish I can buy one but in my place the T8 is expensive as fuck.

• @FHR said:

Ympker said: Subwoofer is a must have in my opinion. The sound is so much better

Which one are you using?

I'm afraid you can't buy mine :) I'm using a heavily modified old Genius home theater set. Basically thrown out all internal electronics and replaced with my own, leaving only the speakers and subwoofer with its enclosure.

Nice one lol :D

@eol said:
    Usually I am building my own, so can't give any recommendations unfortunately.
    But I like Focal speakers.

Aight, thanks ;)

Thanked by 1eol
  • Buy some old subwoofer / amplifier off eBay or something. Back in the days they used to create way better stuff than they to today.

Nevertheless, bought a Bluray player + home cinema few years ago for 200 euros. Was a steal, as it was originally priced at 500 or so. It's only good for average use, though, but I guess I'm just not perfectionist enough. If you want something average, just grab Philips / Samsung / LG.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @solaire said:
    Buy some old subwoofer / amplifier off eBay or something. Back in the days they used to create way better stuff than they to today.

Nevertheless, bought a Bluray player + home cinema few years ago for 200 euros. Was a steal, as it was originally priced at 500 or so. It's only good for average use, though, but I guess I'm just not perfectionist enough. If you want something average, just grab Philips / Samsung / LG.

Thanks for the commendations mate ;)

• Disclaimer: I'm not very lowend on my sound setup and you didn't mention any budget, so i will recommend good stuff and not cheap stuff.

For the sub i had around 20 different tested in the last 10 years and stayed with the klipsch r115sw, awesome sub.
    But i would upgrade everything else too.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

I have the Bose Lifestyle 650 and it acts as a media center with cable, Blu ray, Chromecast etc connected to it. Excellent sound quality, no wires and a single remote to rule them all. But, extremely pricey at $5K in India.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

I highly recommend getting an SVS subwoofer for home theater and music. Those can go very low and loud so it's perfect for movies. The brand is highly trusted in the audio community and has various guarantees, at least is the US.

Then for speakers I would recommend Polk.

You would need some kind of receiver to bring it all together.

The Polk speakers (I recommend at least 3 to 5 smaller ones) and receiver you should be able to get used on Craigslist or other similar site. The Subwoofer, get it new.

There are better speaker options but much more pricey and IMO not worth it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @VirMach said:
    I highly recommend getting an SVS subwoofer for home theater and music. Those can go very low and loud so it's perfect for movies. The brand is highly trusted in the audio community and has various guarantees, at least is the US.

Then for speakers I would recommend Polk.

You would need some kind of receiver to bring it all together.

The Polk speakers (I recommend at least 3 to 5 smaller ones) and receiver you should be able to get used on Craigslist or other similar site. The Subwoofer, get it new.

There are better speaker options but much more pricey and IMO not worth it.

Thanks for the input! Guess I won't be rushing things then and look a bit more into this before purchasing anything in a rush on BF.

• Some one mentioned hitmen and I am here.

1. Never get purchase consulting from the guy that wants to sell you something. Except maybe if its one of those small owner-run HiFi stores.

2. Keep your neighbours in mind! Especially the ones below you. Unless you have your own house of course. There are things to help with that, e.g. not choosing a downfire woofer, putting it on rubber spikes, putting it on a massive marble plate which is lying on carpet.

3. Also keep your room size and shape/layout in mind for proper placement of the speakers (see 4.). Eg. the bigger the speakers the more space they need around them! So buying big towers and putting them right next to the wall and other furniture is wasted money and space with "bad" sound. Common mistake.

4. Since your german, I really advise you to first read http://www.av-wiki.de. There you have all the basic knowledge and advice compressed to something that you can read much quicker than googleing for days. And the people who write there seem to know their stuff.

5. After that check http://www.hifi-forum.de for additional clarification an advice. TL;DR: the most recommended "solid but afordable" setup is: Sub: Mivoc Hype 10 G2 + Speakers: Denon SC-M39/M40/M41 (they're 99% the same, just different generations, just get the cheapest you can find) and an AV receiver of your choice. I recommend getting one with a "automatic room measurement and correction" - microphone/DSP feature. Denon calls it "Audyssey MultEQ XT" or similar. Just get the cheapest one that has this + all the other features (ports, audio formats, 4k HDMI passthrough, HDR HDMI passthrough, HDMI version, etc. you might want. Check https://geizhals.de/?cat=hifirec).

6. Don't forget that you can get all this used, if it gets too expensive. And you could also choose an AV-receiver that is already 1-3 generations old, if it has everything you need (e.g. if you don't need HDMI 2.x, 4k/HDR and Dolby Atmos/Auro-3D/DTS:X). They age much much slower than smartphones.

Thanked by 2Ympker geekalot
  • @that_guy said:
    1. Never get purchase consulting from the guy that wants to sell you something. Except maybe if its one of those small owner-run HiFi stores.

2. Keep your neighbours in mind! Especially the ones below you. Unless you have your own house of course. There are things to help with that, e.g. not choosing a downfire woofer, putting it on rubber spikes, putting it on a massive marble plate which is lying on carpet.

1. Also keep your room size and shape/layout in mind for proper placement of the speakers (see 4.). Eg. the bigger the speakers the more space they need around them! So buying big towers and putting them right next to the wall and other furniture is wasted money and space with "bad" sound. Common mistake.

2. Since your german, I really advise you to first read http://www.av-wiki.de. There you have all the basic knowledge and advice compressed to something that you can read much quicker than googleing for days. And the people who write there seem to know their stuff.

3. After that check http://www.hifi-forum.de for additional clarification an advice. TL;DR: the most recommended "solid but afordable" setup is: Sub: Mivoc Hype 10 G2 + Speakers: Denon SC-M39/M40/M41 (they're 99% the same, just different generations, just get the cheapest you can find) and an AV receiver of your choice. I recommend getting one with a "automatic room measurement and correction" - microphone/DSP feature. Denon calls it "Audyssey MultEQ XT" or similar. Just get the cheapest one that has this + all the other features (ports, audio formats, 4k HDMI passthrough, HDR HDMI passthrough, HDMI version, etc. you might want. Check https://geizhals.de/?cat=hifirec).

4. Don't forget that you can get all this used, if it gets too expensive. And you could also choose an AV-receiver that is already 1-3 generations old, if it has everything you need (e.g. if you don't need HDMI 2.x, 4k/HDR and Dolby Atmos/Auro-3D/DTS:X). They age much much slower than smartphones.

Wow! Thanks for the thorough post mate! Will look into it :)

Thanked by 1that_guy