Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What External HDDs can you recommend that are as close as can be "reliable" when running 24/7 PMS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What External HDDs can you recommend that are as close as can be "reliable" when running 24/7 PMS?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited November 2018 in General

Currently running Plex on an RPi 3B+ and so far only used a random 1TB Toshiba HDD to get started and to see how things are working out. Looking to purchase a larger external HDD now which comes as close as can be to being "reliable" when running 24/7 for PMS.
Any recommendations here?

@Nekki @AnthonySmith @trewq (you guys use PMS don't ya? )

Comments

• Ympker said: @Nekki @AnthonySmith @trewq (you guys use PMS don't ya? )

i hope no ! @Nekki is my love to be clear !

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Some of the western digitals have WD REDs inside. I'll try and find which ones I got that had them a bit later.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @trewq said:
    Some of the western digitals have WD REDs inside. I'll try and find which ones I got that had them a bit later.

Cool thanks ;) Much appreciated mate!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I don't use PMS :) but yes a WD Red would probably be a good choice if a 5400RPM drive is fast enough

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I don't use PMS :) but yes a WD Red would probably be a good choice if a 5400RPM drive is fast enough

Thanks for your input mate ;) You don't use Kodi either I guess? :P

• I would get 2 enclosures and put a WD Gold inside each.

• Any harddrive would do, the most important thing that kills harddrives is power cycles. Warranty can bite you with some manufactures though, so be aware of that.

HGST is the way to go according to Backblaze reports (just Google backblaze hard drive reports, am on my phone atm). I have WD red's spinning for quite some time now and they're doing great, I can definitely vouch for them. They're running PMS, Sonarr, Radarr and a ton more, backed up by just a small ssd for the plex database and such.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I used seagate expansion 8tb (got it from amazon for $130ish). Pretty happy with it so far. We use at most 2 streams at the same time so no issue here. Those disks use the SMR technology, which in simplify way means the write speed based on the amount of fragmentation of the disk..

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Any drive with PMS is unreliable.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Any drive with PMS is unreliable.

Heartbleed ain't got nothing on PMS.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @AuroraZ said:

Then as long as I make frequent backups there is not much of a difference in the drives, is what you are saying!

• @Ympker said:

@AuroraZ said:

Then as long as I make frequent backups there is not much of a difference in the drives, is what you are saying!

Sure, but one will take out your 12v rail, and possibly the 5..

• @Ympker I am saying if your drive has PMS you have more problems then what the label is on it lol.

• Lots of those cheap external drives have crappy cooling and overheat badly. I'd take that into account. The magic word in any case is always backup. Or if you need continuous operation, RAID.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • %smartctl -pmsdisable 
    permission denied
    %sudo smartctl -pmsdisable 
    permission denied
    %su
    #smartctl -pmsdisable 
    permission denied

• @AuroraZ said:
    @Ympker I am saying if your drive has PMS you have more problems then what the label is on it lol.

Well pms itself runs on the SD card the OS runs on I suppose. External HDD acts as storage for PMS. If that's still the same then I fear there is not much room for improvement as external drive is the only way I can go with the pi if I want the storage device to be located at home.

• Just ran a quick SMART on both WD RED's. One has been running for 1309 days (~ 3,5 years), the other for 577 days (~ 1,6 years). Power cycles are ~ 10 and that is only because I moved recently and had some issues getting everything back up and running (OS related). Other than that, they're in perfect health.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @solaire said:
    Just ran a quick SMART on both WD RED's. One has been running for 1309 days (~ 3,5 years), the other for 577 days (~ 1,6 years). Power cycles are ~ 10 and that is only because I moved recently and had some issues getting everything back up and running (OS related). Other than that, they're in perfect health.

Cool! Thanks ;)

• WD EasyStores (have WD Red or Red equivalent drives).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AC_Fan said:
    WD EasyStores (have WD Red or Red equivalent drives).

Thanks for the input mate!

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited November 2018

Cpt. Obvious reporting. Looks like my services are needed.

@Ympker PMS is an abbreviation for two distinct terms:

1- Premenstrual syndrome
    2- Plex Media Server (apparently... actually never used this abbreviation myself and a bit amused)

@AuroraZ @CyberMonday You're welcome.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2018

@bugrakoc said:
    Cpt. Obvious reporting. Looks like my services are needed.

@Ympker PMS is an abbreviation for two distinct terms:

1- Premenstrual syndrome
    2- Plex Media Server (apparently... actually never used this abbreviation myself and a bit amused)

@AuroraZ @CyberMonday You're welcome.

@angstrom There you go again haha

@bugrakoc
    Given the usual forum setting one would assume people would know what I am referring t....wait... fml

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Ympker As of my experience, people usually refer to the Plex Media Server as just "Plex".

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Have 2 WD's running.
    One is attached to my router as NAS, it has a runtime of 538 days so far and works fine like on day one. It's a WD Passport X, I have absolutely no idea whats in it, I think it's a WD blue or so, because it was only 40€ for 2TB.
    Then I have a newer WD My Passport, and I stopped using it as 24/7 drive, because it starts beeping randomly after 1-2 days of continuous uptime. But if you backup your data regularly, every drive will do the job.

Thanked by 1Ympker