Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just how slow is the Atom D425
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just how slow is the Atom D425

Is the Kimsufi KS-1 good enough for anything other than storage.

For example things like reading tags from hundreds/thousands of MP3 files?

Comments

• Do you have a grandma? Now take away her reading glasses. That's how slow Atom is at reading anything.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

Well, it is a single core 1.8Ghz processor on 45mn. Smartphones are much faster, plus the probably old HDD wouldn't help with going through thousands of MP3's either.

It'll work, maybe not for this, but I have a C2350 or whatever it is and the benchmarks are comparable, but the D425 is an older arch.

• Slow like a shit in warm

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

I generally determine how useful a CPU is by passmark.

This has been useful for me when deciding which NUC is better for general tasks for my parents. Anything below 2500 points can be felt as "slow" for general Windows 10 usage. (Web browsing and U-lube).

Having said that, the passmark score for Ass D425 is ...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+D425+@+1.80GHz&id=609

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

For example things like reading tags from hundreds/thousands of MP3 files?

It depends how long you want the operation to take. This is not he same it has to be real time, or other kind of post processing.

• https://ark.intel.com/products/49489/Intel-Atom-Processor-D425-512K-Cache-1-80-GHz-

You are better off getting an ARM64-4GB from Scaleway. Those armv8 CPUs are not messing around.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Actually you get a N2800 which is about 2x times that fast.
    novaDedi currently still runs on it, but I already see its limits.

• N3700 is actually bearable if tasks are not too demanding.

• hostnoob said: For example things like reading tags from hundreds/thousands of MP3 files?

It is fine for that. Reading tags will mostly be limited by the speed of the disk. Yes it's very slow by today's standards but it's comparable to a mid-2000s laptop which seemed fast at the time, or a more recent mobile phone or Raspberry Pi. Cpu will be more of an issue if you actually want to transcode all those files, but even then it's not so terrible. It just means you let some batch script run for a day or so instead of for a few hours. Just check in on it once in a while and it's fine.