Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Translator is no longer a joke.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Translator is no longer a joke.

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

It's no story, Google Translator used to be a joke when translating 'heavy paragraphs' from one language to another, it would become a total mess that made no sense. Recently i've noticed through a few of my client's websites that used Google Translator. The translation was nearly perfect even though there was so much content / text. It made perfect sense and the websites had no more than 2-3 small errors in the translation, everything was nearly as it was translated by a native one.

And rumours say that it will get even better, give it a try:
https://translate.google.com/

Comments

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

Maybe major languages was perfect

My language Tamil, it was not perfect at all

Thanked by 1dosai
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@vpsGOD said:

Booh, i've seen it nearly perfect in German, Spanish and Albania*.

• @armandorg said:

@vpsGOD said:

for german I consider this better than google esp. on phrases or full paragraphs: https://www.deepl.com/translator

• Translate a paragraph from language A to language B. Subsequently translate the result from language B to language A.

I suppose if it were close to perfect, you'd end up with a result that resembles the original paragraph in intent/meaning. Often it does not.

• @caracal said:
    Translate a paragraph from language A to language B. Subsequently translate the result from language B to language A.

I suppose if it were close to perfect, you'd end up with a result that resembles the original paragraph in intent/meaning. Often it does not.

translation is not a math where a to b has to be the same with b to a. it also involves interpretation and limitation of other language vocabularies.

• It's still a joke when auto translate youtube subtitle.

• Perfect translation implies, at least to me, a sensible retention of the original paragraphs intent/meaning.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@Falzo said:

@armandorg said:

@vpsGOD said:

for german I consider this better than google esp. on phrases or full paragraphs: https://www.deepl.com/translator

Better than Google Translate for French as well. At least French > English.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @caracal said:
    Perfect translation implies, at least to me, a sensible retention of the original paragraphs intent/meaning.

not when involving idioms. try "a penny for your thoughts" and see how would you translate them in your own language and revert back to the original language. that is why interpretation (not only translation) is also needed when translating them

• How many more shitposts until armandorg gets his provider title?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@CyberMonday said:
    How many more shitposts until armandorg gets his provider title?

it's going to be a long journey : )

• vpsGOD said: My language Tamil, it was not perfect at all

Im tamil too... from Madras

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

Google translate is always broken for me.

Whatever I attempt to translate, the result is always the same. I even contacted Google about it. They told me to poo off.

For an example

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2018

@FHR said:

@Falzo said:

@armandorg said:

@vpsGOD said:

Better than Google Translate for French as well. At least French > English.

I remember in High School when people were using Google Translate for (large) essays. Unfortunately, Google Translate has a really obvious ‘style’ (and it still does today).

tl;dr use a dictionary for French — you’ll quickly realize that Google Translate has no f*cking idea on intent and etc.

It ends up translating something simple while completely destroying verb tense:

“is a real problem” (present tense in English) —> “était une problème réelle” (imparfait en français ou ‘past imperfect” en anglais)

That said, it’s definitely gotten better over the years. I remember when Google Translate would translate simple ~10 word sentences into completely unusable gibberish. Vouch for deepl though!

edited November 2018

@doghouch, that's an utterly wrong translation.

The correction translation is: The end is nigh. <- This is a universal translation for all languages.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Google translate is still far far away from other more professional paid solutions. The translation in Greek has a lot of critical mistakes, especially when the initial language is not English. Also, I have seen major mistakes or extend lack of the different meanings of the same word, something that leads to an entire wrong translation of a paragraph many times, even between major languages (English, German, French).
    It's still just a free tool to understand the meaning of a text from a language that you don;t speak at all.

• I tried Bing Translator and sometimes is better than Google, and vice-versa.

• @jvnadr said:
    Google translate is still far far away from other more professional paid solutions. The translation in Greek has a lot of critical mistakes, especially when the initial language is not English. Also, I have seen major mistakes or extend lack of the different meanings of the same word, something that leads to an entire wrong translation of a paragraph many times, even between major languages (English, German, French).

tell me their names, please

• Still not perfect, but google translator has come such a long way over these past couple of years

• It will never be perfect because of if it does, lots of people will be losing their jobs and the end will be nigh

Thanked by 2deathlife23 eol
  • bap said: tell me their names, please

I have worked a little with SDL (it's very good) or Deepl from Linguee (is better than google IMO)

• @jvnadr said:

bap said: tell me their names, please

I have worked a little with SDL

Its pretty portable, and SDL-audio makes things easier to deal with.

• [armandorg said]

Your original english:

It's no story, Google Translator used to be a joke when translating 'heavy paragraphs' from one language to another, it would become a total mess that made no sense. Recently i've noticed through a few of my client's websites that used Google Translator. The translation was nearly perfect even though there was so much content / text. It made perfect sense and the websites had no more than 2-3 small errors in the translation, everything was nearly as it was translated by a native one.

And rumours say that it will get even better, give it a try:

To German:

Es ist keine Geschichte, Google Translator war früher ein Witz beim Übersetzen von "schweren Absätzen" von einer Sprache in eine andere, es würde zu einem totalen Durcheinander, das keinen Sinn machte. In letzter Zeit habe ich durch einige Websites meines Kunden, die Google Translator verwenden, festgestellt. Die Übersetzung war nahezu perfekt, obwohl es so viel Inhalt / Text gab. Es machte absolut Sinn und die Websites hatten nicht mehr als 2-3 kleine Fehler in der Übersetzung, alles war fast so, wie es von einem einheimischen übersetzt wurde.

Und Gerüchte besagen, dass es noch besser wird, probieren Sie es aus:

Back to English:

It's not a story, Google Translator used to be a joke when translating "heavy paragraphs" from one language to another, it would become a total mess that made no sense. Recently, I've seen through some of my client's websites using Google Translator. The translation was almost perfect, although there was so much content / text. It made perfect sense and the sites had no more than 2-3 small mistakes in the translation, everything was almost as translated by a local.

And rumors say it's getting better, give it a try:

That's pretty good actually.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • @Chuck said:
    translators are going homeless soon.

Who doesn't? Absolute majority of occupations will be wiped out by AI in a decade or two. What these people will do nobody knows. Some proposed the idea of Universal Basic Income to basically give out set amount of money and let people do whatever since no work for them but it sounds awfully close to communism. What will happen nobody knows. But AI is growing fast.

edited November 2018

Blackadder can never be replaced by A.I.

He is my role model.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Falzo said:

I'm not sure/don't know/didn't check whether Deepl is actually better than Google. But I know that it's pretty good (TM) and damn good enough (TM). Plus I know that I want to stay away from the large "talk about not doing evil ... and then do evil and plenty of it" corporations.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Yura said:

@Chuck said:

Who doesn't? Absolute majority of occupations will be wiped out by AI in a decade or two. What these people will do nobody knows. Some proposed the idea of Universal Basic Income to basically give out set amount of money and let people do whatever since no work for them but it sounds awfully close to communism. What will happen nobody knows. But AI is growing fast.

I'm not yet convinced. From what I see there is a major problem with the 'I' in 'AI'. Today most 'AI' is hardly more than simply using a computers ability to do many things and do the very fast. The algorithms used are usually quite primitive, often just statistical.

Don't get me wrong, I don't take that lightly in terms of job destruction. But I think that much of it is marketing and hype and that job destruction can be somewhat minimized by getting "AI" closer to the people. Navis are a (somewhat crude but good) example. They didn't destroy that many jobs largely due to that technology becoming quickly available for everyone.

Plus gladly (well, some not be glad) AI can only go so far due to often very considerable computing power needs. For the "big breakthrough" quantum computing would be need (and pretty much every significant AI player bets on that) but quantum computing is far away, very far, while the "Moore wall" gets ever harder and tighter.

• YuraYura Member
    edited November 2018

@jsg

From what I see there is a major problem with the 'I' in 'AI'. Today most 'AI' is hardly more than simply using a computers ability to do many things and do the very fast. The algorithms used are usually quite primitive, often just statistical.

From what I see you give too much credit to regular human's intelligence. Yesterday, today and tomorrow typical human is thinking very primitively, sucks at math, doesn't comprehend statistics and uses most of resources to eat, sleep, fuck and get away from work. Today's computers can copy Old Masters paintings; make decisions in banking, stock market and insurance; drive cars and fly airplanes; discern sentiment in messages, translate them, interpret them and manufacture them; the list just doesn't end. Oh, and they learn fricking damn fast, improving daily.

They didn't destroy that many jobs largely due to that technology becoming quickly available for everyone.

Last week I learned from papers and my friends how in several industries from banking to VFX there are massive eliminations for various job positions. Some are not so routine either, quite creative but that doesn't matter. AI is much cheaper than keeping a meatbag on a salary.

Don't wait for quantum computing. Look around today and calculate how many car drivers, store cashiers, storage workers, managers, call center workers are going to lose their jobs. Without any improving on hardware side, only through technology becoming more available and affordable to business owners. It's quite a lot of people. And it's happening now.

• @Yura said:

@Chuck said:

Well in case of not a lot of work needing to be done manually through labour, it's not really communism anymore.