Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IOFlood Down since 1.20 am USA time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IOFlood Down since 1.20 am USA time

I notice my few of server face downtime. I try to contact with provider and notice their website also down. Support portal also down. IOFlood down since 1.20 am usa time. Already sent tweet to them but no response even skype same ! No response no action !

I am now searching someone who can help me regarding this topic.
Wish to migrate 4 server if anyone comply price with my existing servers.

Comments

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

Power outage at Phoenix Nap

Looks like power was restored

• Yah just notice it. Namecheap also face downtime.

• @whmsys said:
    Yah just notice it. Namecheap also face downtime.

indeed

Received this from Phoenix Nap:

Our Phoenix DC has experienced a disruption to power which has impacted many devices in our facility. Our CET is working to ensure that all systems are back up and stable, however we do not have a guarantee that there will be nofurther interruptions.

Please monitor http://info.phoenixnap.com for the latest information.

• Aha, I think this might also be affecting Inception Hosting servers in Phoenix. @AnthonySmith

edited November 2018

poof! power off again.

• qba82qba82 Member, Patron Provider

How is it possible that DC doesn't have they own power generators? Or they was out of fuel :dizzy:

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

willie said: Aha, I think this might also be affecting Inception Hosting servers in Phoenix. @AnthonySmith

Yep, even the IPMI's are unreachable.

Power is back on again, waiting for network to come up. Might as well order pizza at this point

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Seems stable now, I have been warned that work is still going on so it is possible more cuts will occur.

This just in:

[Resolved} PHX Power Outage
    Our engineers have taken the steps necessary to restore full power to our DC. At this time we are seeing service up and stable and do not anticipate any further disruptions to power to devices. We will continue to monitor this issue and update with any new status.

We will be working through all requests to manually power on specific devices as quickly as possible and update you via your ticket with status.

Once a full review of this incident has been completed an RFO will be provided.

PhoenixNAP NOC Services

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2018

@qba82 said:
    How is it possible that DC doesn't have they own power generators? Or they was out of fuel :dizzy:

Some DC are too small to have own generators in such situations two or more electric supplies are used to avoid downtimes.

Thanked by 1qba82
  • @qba82 said:

Doesn't matter if a DC has power generators or UPS's to take over the workload :) DC will often face issues anyway.

Yahoo did a survey at some point, and it turned out that about 30% of all unplanned data center outages were caused by things that were in fact made for preventing them (such as UPS failure, generator failure etc).

A common thing that might happen, is when the DC switches from the main to the backup that this actually goes wrong. It's only a few years ago where Interxion España suffered two cuts in power in a single day - turns out that the unit that switches the power had a fault, and tried to switch back to main power despite not being back up again - this would trip the whole thing, and the datacenter went down twice.

It caused a good amount of equipment in the datacenter to simply die, because it caused a surge on the power lines, killing motherboards, NDCs or disks :) Was a fun experience.

Especially after having issues a few weeks earlier due to a power failure in a Washington data center due to an extensive generator test (where they switched the DC to actually run on the generators), someone made the wrong calculation in requirements for power - not enough generators got turned on, leaving a lack of power to the DC - and a few halls went offline :)

DCs die for various reasons and it's how people deal with these outages that makes the difference.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@qba82 said:

Most power outages at datacenters are caused by faulty UPSes, faulty Generators or some sort of gone wrong electrical maintenance in general. If you want real redundancy, you have to be present in multiple datacenters.

I've seen various power outages due to failed UPSes in various datacenters over the last eight years. No datacenter, even not the very expensive ones, can guarant 100% power availability.

Thanked by 1qba82
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Are we in the 3rd. millenium? Really? Sure?

• No one asked him what "USA time" is. I bet it's a newspaper.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Somewhat related - it's surprising how many places have backup generators, etc, but no idea if they'll actually work.

I worked at a large hotel which had a backup generator. It hadn't been started for 2 years when I started, and took us half an hour to get it going just to test it - no way it would have kicked in automatically if the power went out. After that it was tested weekly.

• Yeah. Some are pretty ignorant until there is an event.
    On serious installations the diesels or gas engines win run all the time, the generator albeit in electric motor mode driving the passive diesel/gas engine and switch in a matter of an "eye-blink" due to a heavy flywheel which will help to fire up the diesel/gas engine. Of course it will be battery backed aswell for some hours.