Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.1.1.1 Faster Internet App for Android and iOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1.1.1.1 Faster Internet App for Android and iOS

Recently I read info about Cloudflare that release DNS Query App for Android and iOS user under name 1.1.1.1 Faster Internet. The program using VPN to make our phone as client and as server.

I tried to install on Android and iOS and it have simple but beautiful UI and work like a charm on my cellular network.

You can try to use it for simple bypass your DNS blocking.

Comments

• Cool. The app sets itself as a VPN connection. Upon turning on the app, it uses the 1.1.1.1 DNS.. however if I check self IP address, it continues to display the IP provided by my cell LTE provider.

Question: By installing this app, what information would cloudflare gain about the user (apart from knowing all DNS queries)? Will they know the identity of the user (mine)? Will they be able to monitor non-DNS traffic?

• solairesolaire Member
    edited November 2018

aFriend said: Cool. The app sets itself as a VPN connection. Upon turning on the app, it uses the 1.1.1.1 DNS.. however if I check self IP address, it continues to display the IP provided by my cell LTE provider.

This is the only way to implement a custom DNS (for mobile connections) on Android afaik. This changed in Android 9, where it supports DNS over TLS. Not sure about iOS, but knowing Apple, it's highly unlikely you can change it until there's a court order, and a lot of time has elapsed.

aFriend said: Question: By installing this app, what information would cloudflare gain about the user (apart from knowing all DNS queries)? Will they know the identity of the user (mine)? Will they be able to monitor non-DNS traffic?

Depends on the app. You'd need to run a deep analysis on the network traffic that is originating from this app and/or reverse engineer the app.

But in all seriousness, an app claiming "Faster internet" should not be taken serious. It's also extreme bullsh*t, because even if a fast DNS response would equal "faster internet", your carrier runs DNS servers on their local network, so this won't be able to beat it, at all.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

There are basically three methods for changing DNS on Android:

• Creating a local VPN
      That's how most apps do it.

• Direct modification of system files
      Requires root, but is the best method otherwise.

• Setting DNS servers for each WiFi manually
      Requires setting up a static IP for the connection as well.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner marrco
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:
    There are basically three methods for changing DNS on Android:

• Creating a local VPN
      That's how most apps do it.

• Direct modification of system files
      Requires root, but is the best method otherwise.

• Setting DNS servers for each WiFi manually
      Requires setting up a static IP for the connection as well.

1. Setting it like a normal human being because you're using the latest version of android.
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Rhys said: Setting it like a normal human being because you're using the latest version of android.

I bet not even 5% of people run the latest Android.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@FHR said:

Rhys said: Setting it like a normal human being because you're using the latest version of android.

I bet not even 5% of people run the latest Android.

Good thing U.S. carriers are only 24 months behind releasing OS updates!