Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backblaze or Google Drive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backblaze $50/YEAR/Unlimited + Private Encryption Key

Google Drive $99.99/YEAR/2TB

Both have File Sharing and Device Syncing.

https://www.backblaze.com/best-online-backup-service.html

I'm planning to get Google Drive $99.99/YEAR/2TB. Just found out about Backblaze on another forum.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• I thought a back blaze was when you puffed from the wrong side.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Backblaze. Google reserves the right to access your data in Drive - use it, publish it or sell it to whomever they want however they want. Just read their privacy policy. Don't use Google drive for ANYTHING important or sensitive.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Slabs.

Francisco

• SpryServers_Tab said: Google reserves the right to access your data in Drive - use it, publish it or sell it to whomever they want however they want. Just read their privacy policy. Don't use Google drive for ANYTHING important or sensitive.

:O Does this apply to the G Suite Agreement too?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Make sure you get a decent speed when pulling from backblaze. I did some tests a few years ago on a Gbit fiber (AARNET) and was only able to get 1-2Mbps down (not limited by local policies). I was able to upload at at-least 40Mbps (limited by QoS) however.

Google Drive is still 'unlimited' for 5 seat business accounts correct?

• aways has a filefactory with unlimited plan. and can win money too when someone download your files.

• @SplitIce said:
    Make sure you get a decent speed when pulling from backblaze. I did some tests a few years ago on a Gbit fiber (AARNET) and was only able to get 1-2Mbps down (not limited by local policies). I was able to upload at at-least 40Mbps (limited by QoS) however.

Actually, they don't enforce the 1TB limit. Soo... yeah $10 is enough.

• Very different products I think. Backblaze is backup, Google drive is storage. If you want to access files everywhere you go and change them as needed, Google drive is the tool. If you just ant automatic backups, Backblaze. I took a look at these last year, I went with DropBox because it was the fastest for upload and download, and lots of apps have the API. I'd like to use SpiderOak, but not enough apps work with it (or any?). If you want privacy, SpiderOak is good, DropBox is not.

Thanked by 2Chuck [Deleted User]
  • @vovler said:

Actually, they don't enforce the 1TB limit. Soo... yeah $10 is enough.

Not yet enforced. But it probably will at some near point as people continue to abuse it, much like what happened with Amazon drive. Can't recall which sub Reddit it was, but some were crowing about having over a petabyte on Google Drive.

What I don't like about Backblaze is that they don't keep archived files.

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665388-What-does-Backblaze-Backup-

Backblaze is not designed as an additional storage system when you run out of space. So, please don’t try to upload your external hard drive to us and delete your data off your drive…or we will delete those files from our servers as well.

In addition, Backblaze must continue running on your computer to perform self maintenance and maintain the correct mirror copy of your files in the Backblaze datacenter on an ongoing basis. If for any reason the Backblaze datacenter has not heard from your computer in six months, the backup copy of your data will be removed from the Backblaze datacenter and your account is subject to cancellation.

As Francisco mentioned, get a slab (or maybe 2.) I'm running a small slice and a 1TB slab and so far, so good.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Weblogics said: Can't recall which sub Reddit it was

/r/DataHoarder.

I've got quite a few people that have spun up a slab with nextcloud.

Francisco

• Backblaze or Google Drive?

Google. You can do almost everything what can do b2 but everywhere with decent speeds, stable software, a lot of features for sharing and caring for your files, etc. I love google too much. Also, you can use optional tools to encrypt all your storage data between uploading/downloading files there. So there is nothing bad related to privacy. But of course not recommend storing there your personal data, like anywhere else, because there are a lot of examples which teaching us - always protect data before sending it to the internet. If something uploading to the internet, it will be saved here forever.

• Backblaze if you want to use for backup.

• Best place - own SSD or flash drive. They going cheap our times. Why need to trust Google and others?

• Hetzner Storage Box

• @Chuck said:
    Backblaze $50/YEAR/Unlimited + Private Encryption Key

Google Drive $99.99/YEAR/2TB

Both have File Sharing and Device Syncing.

https://www.backblaze.com/best-online-backup-service.html

I'm planning to get Google Drive $99.99/YEAR/2TB. Just found out about Backblaze on another forum.

I'd rather take Blackblaze over Google any day.

• @Ho-ost said:
    I thought a back blaze was when you puffed from the wrong side.

We call those "brainers".

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, Google drive is just daily rate limited unlimited, not even people with 200TB got suspended yet.

• @desperand said:

Google. You can do almost everything what can do b2 but everywhere with decent speeds, stable software, a lot of features for sharing and caring for your files, etc. I love google too much. Also, you can use optional tools to encrypt all your storage data between uploading/downloading files there. So there is nothing bad related to privacy. But of course not recommend storing there your personal data, like anywhere else, because there are a lot of examples which teaching us - always protect data before sending it to the internet. If something uploading to the internet, it will be saved here forever.

Google throttles and rate limits speed. I've found it to be really slow and shitty compared to Dropbox. Google Drive constantly needs attention.

Thanked by 1Chuck