Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do people actually want 64mb plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do people actually want 64mb plans?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited February 2012 in General

I have had a few people asking about 64mb plans and then I spotted that old discussion here that god dragged up from the past and people seem to be keen to get them.

So I had a play and got a WP site running under Arch Linux with 64mb, then I dropped that down to 32mb and it told me to go **** myself so back up to 64mb it went.

Was interesting stuff I suppose its really a plan size for the die hards out there, just wondering what sort of real demand there is in the community?

The other issue being is the price, monthly 64mb XEN deals are a PITA the price, I was thinking 1.00 - 1.25 (EUR) p/month, the problem with that is that the processing fee's make it almost pointless to offer on a month by month basis, So I would like some out of the box ideas from the only community that would be interested in this and I may put up the following plan today.

XEN PV (Netherlands)
1 Core (minimum would be 3.06 GHz)
64mb Ram
64mb Swap
5GB HDD Space
5GB Offsite Backup
1000 mbit

I am thinking along the lines of either 3.00 EUR p/quater, 6.00 EUR s/Annual or 10 EUR p/year or if you wanted to pay monthly I need some fresh ideas on that, e.g. combo accounts/group buy.

If someone can come up with a good idea for a 64mb box and is prepared to publicly show it off I may just give you one for free for a few months.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Are you sure you have the IP space to handle it? I'm assuming being NL you'd be looking at LeaseWeb and they only give a /27 at most.

Francisco

• 64MB VPSes are great for VPNs and static Websites and DNS. I use one (OpenVZ though) for that purpose since a few months and it works quite fine.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2012

Yup IP space is not an issue, not with leaseweb.

Applying for our own space now and in the mean time have a /25 and a number of /24's available.

But the amount on offer would be limited too in order to mitigate this in a few areas, no hosts want 500+ VPS's on a node (Not ones that sleep at night anyway)

• Yes, but it seems no successful plan which can be referred to so far as I learn. And it seems that there are also not too much profit for sellers :(

• in my view 64MB plans with very limited space reminds me of irc shells. If combined with a bigger space like 30/50Gb would make it a good backup server, for which the reliability of the server is important.

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • 1 such VPS - 1 site without mysql on it. One of small community sites I have uses python + django. 16-20 MB for uwsgi + 5-6 MB nginx - that's all I need.

The idea could be such kind of hosting for non-PHP projects, with offloading mysql maybe (like buyvm does).
    I just don't know how many non-php project could be clients.

Its not the sort of plan any host is ever likely to focus on in any big way as it has to be closely monitored, I find allot of people take cheap offers regardless of resources and then just thrash the VPS, especially with disk based swap.

You would not believe the amount of people who signed up to out old 128mb plan then tried to install cPanel or ISP config 3

I even had one guy that when warned for Disk got very abusive saying that we were being stupid he only had webmin + virtualmin + mysql + apache + php + a few wordpress sites + openVPN + EXIM running (on his 96mb VPS.)

So the 64mb plans can be great with free space on nodes but the less ram/cheaper the package the more abuse of resource it attracts.

So only 20 - 30 will be offered at any given time at the most.

That's a great example of use breton, I know your more of an advanced user and you would be the level of experience that this plan should be aimed at, the worry is that it attracts people just because of the price.

Worth putting it to trial I think though and see what happens, I would love to be able to do a monthly deal on it but I need some fresh ideas on how to achieve that.

• What about 64mb IPv6 only plans?

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

@vedran said:

What about 64mb IPv6 only plans?

Combined with this idea.

The idea could be to have 1 such small vps without IP address per project and 1 vps with nginx for proxying all the projects.

That's an interesting idea.

• It would be a great thing. 64 MB is enough for a small website with nginx or a VPN.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@breton said: The idea could be to have 1 such small vps without IP address per project and 1 vps with nginx for proxying all the projects.

Could use a service like tunnelbroker.net instead? what are the advantages running own vps with proxy?

• We have considered plans like this, but as others have mentioned, there's really no part of the idea that sounds good from my perspective (except that users get usable space at a bare minimum cost).

@AnthonySmith said: So the 64mb plans can be great with free space on nodes but the less ram/cheaper the package the more abuse of resource it attracts.

So only 20 - 30 will be offered at any given time at the most.

That's very true, and also a sound plan.

I do like @vedran's idea of a low-end IPv6-only VPS.

Ok I will see if there is much interest in this thread, if no further suggestions for pricing/plans comes forward I will roll with what I suggested in the first post and release 10 - 15 of them initially.

Think I need to wait until the 24th to post another offer here.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

Some of my old long term 64mb VPSs are actually among my stablest VPSs. It's always good to have somewhere some long term little vps with stable IRC bouncer parked... 3.00 EUR p/quater, 6.00 EUR s/Annual or 10 EUR p/year sounds like a good plan to me and I would be interested.

@AnthonySmith said: Think I need to wait until the 24th to post another offer here.

But you can link it here, in this thread already ;-)

• I like the idea of the first post, period xD
    Had one with dmbhosting with this specs until got broken...

Yeah I think it would be breaking the rules to post an offer for this here so I wont be able to offer anything officially until the 24th.

Well I suppose it would be silly not to at least say I have added the package.

64mb ram
    64mb swap
    1 CPU Core
    6 GB HDD
    164 GB Bandwidth @1000 mbit
    1 x IP4
    5 x IP6

The package name is ExpertsOnly so anyone that wants it should be able to find it :)

• bretonbreton Member
    edited February 2012

2 os
    I wonder, what if I choose 2 different operating systems?

• @AnthonySmith where are they hosted - i found them in a general xen part.

Im asking because you seem to allow IRC in EU not not US ?

edited February 2012

@breton How ironic.... I called the package experts only and made an error when setting it up :) (fixed now)

@exussum Netherlands, just south of Rotterdam, IRC is allowed on these.

• Yeah, just for pros XD

In your TOS, the "Refusal of Service" is duplicated
    In the order form, the "Operating System" entry is duplicated.

Just a thought but, I don't like the paypal suscription, can I disable it? :S

• Looks like a winner really.

How much are these p/m in USD? $1 :P.

Anther slight error, the people that just ordered ended up with the micro package, less haste me thinks.

(fixed)

@Derek monthly is not offered, the quarterly works out at 1.25 EUR which is about 1.65 USD, that comes down if bought yearly it works out to be the equivalent of 1.10 USD

• @AnthonySmith said: @Derek monthly is not offered, the quarterly works out at 1.25 EUR which is about 1.65 USD, that comes down if bought yearly it works out to be the equivalent of 1.10 USD

Order link?

• Yes, all we need is an order link and this will be a full scale offer :P

@AnthonySmith have you ever considered putting your website link to your signature? That would probably help people find you >_>

• InceptionHosting it is I think

• Yes people want it ... but being a web host it is not worth it since each plan would need a dedicated IP.