Three netcup specials
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Three netcup specials

angstromangstrom Member
edited November 8 in General

Just thought that I would point out three attractive netcup specials that appeared two days ago:

(i) VPS 500 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 2 vCores, 4 GB RAM, 300 GB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 40 TB BW: 4,29€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 6 months
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281

(ii) VPS 1000 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 4 vCores, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 40 TB BW: 7,49€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 3 months
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282

(iii) VPS 2000 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 8 vCores, 16 GB RAM, 1,5 TB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 80 TB BW: 14,49€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 1 month
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

Please bear in mind that netcup have contracts. :-)

I've linked to the German-language pages because I couldn't immediately find the corresponding English-language pages (if they exist).

With respect to the disks, netcup speak of "SSD-Performance" because of the Optane™ cache, but these disks aren't SSDs.

"[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

«1

Comments

  • Their VPS line sucks.

  • gol3mgol3m Member

    @yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

    because?

  • @gol3m said:

    @yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

    because?

    Public Knowledge.

    Thanked by 3LTniger AMXRT pike
  • gol3m said: because?

    In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

    High Performance / No Ads / FREE cPanel Web hosting

  • @yokowasis said:

    @gol3m said:

    @yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

    because?

    Public Knowledge.

    Please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @LTniger said: gol3m said: because?

    In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support.

    Even if you believe this, this alone doesn't lead to the conclusion "Their VPS line sucks", which is what @yokowasis claims. So, you too, please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 8

    @angstrom said:

    @LTniger said: gol3m said: because?

    In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support.

    Even if you believe this, this alone doesn't lead to the conclusion "Their VPS line sucks", which is what @yokowasis claims. So, you too, please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

    Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), but their vps line sucks, it has been discussed before. I am too lazy to search for it, you can search it yourself. Just a heads up for anyone want to buy it. Also it is fine, if nobody believe me

  • FalzoFalzo Member

    angstrom said: I've linked to the German-language pages because I couldn't immediately find the corresponding English-language pages (if they exist).

    this will take you to the (somewhat) english pages:

    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281
    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282
    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

    those offers obviously come with a monthly contract term, not hourly like their usual vserver line-up.
    also billing period is 6-month for the smallest, so you have to prepay and might get refunded if you cancel before that.

    keep in mind, that you need to cancel pro-actively within their control panel, otherwise they'll extend the contract automatically and charge you for it.

    Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited November 8

    @yokowasis said: but their vps line sucks, it has been discussed before.

    Again, please do better than this ("their vps line sucks" isn't an accurate statement).

    I am too lazy to search for it, you can search it yourself.

    No, that's what you should do if you want to be taken seriously.

    Yes, it's no secret that netcup's Root-Servers are their elite product line, whereas their vServers are their (let's say) budget product line, but this doesn't mean that their vServers suck. My personal experience has been positive, but yes, I'm sure that some people have had less-than-positive experiences, but if you want to be helpful, you should at least make the effort to link to a thread in which people complain about the performance of netcup's vServers.

    In any case, since the contract periods for the specials above are each for one month, the most that one would "lose" is two months (given the need to cancel at least a month in advance), but I'm pretty sure that these vServers don't suck anyway.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @Falzo said: this will take you to the (somewhat) english pages:

    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281

    Ah, yeah, I now see how you found the English-language pages. :smile:

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

    Now, you see, that's a (positive) comment that you can back up.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @angstrom said:

    @yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

    Now, you see, that's a (positive) comment that you can back up.

    Because I happen to save proof. I don't feel the need to save the info about vserver because I don't really need it.

  • @yokowasis said:

    @angstrom said:

    @yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

    Now, you see, that's a (positive) comment that you can back up.

    Because I happen to save proof. I don't feel the need to save the info about vserver because I don't really need it.

    Then it would have sufficed to say something like "It's too bad that these aren't Root-Servers, because the Root-Servers are better than the vServers!"

    For my part, I don't recall significant threads about how netcup's vServers suck, but I may have missed them. (By "significant thread" I don't mean some random poster who writes a random negative comment and then disappears.)

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • That 300GB SAS one is exactly what I've been looking for. Danke

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

    Thanked by 1beagle

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @Falzo said:
    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

    Last year's BF deal was great (you were fortunate to get one), but more than twice the disk space may be worth more than the additional (shared) 4 vCPU, depending on one's needs -- not an easy call.

    I'm also thinking about the second special, but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ... :smile:

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • FalzoFalzo Member

    angstrom said: but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ...

    hehe, exactly what I was thinking. though I guess the actual offers might be available even after BF - so probably I am just going to wait it out.
    they most likely also run their advent calendar again...

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @Falzo said:
    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

    I'd probably jump at one if it was a RootServer. I'd like to have a not-10-years-old RAID1 platter combo holding stuff I somewhat care about.

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

    @CyberMonday said:

    @Falzo said:
    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

    I'd probably jump at one if it was a RootServer. I'd like to have a not-10-years-old RAID1 platter combo holding stuff I somewhat care about.

    don't you still have 2.50 credit in your account with them? :wink:

    Thanked by 1vimalware

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @Falzo said:

    angstrom said: but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ...

    hehe, exactly what I was thinking. though I guess the actual offers might be available even after BF - so probably I am just going to wait it out.

    Also my inclination at the moment.

    they most likely also run their advent calendar again...

    I'm sure that we'll see a lot of webhosting specials there ... :smile:

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @Falzo said:
    don't you still have 2.50 credit in your account with them? :wink:

    Sometimes your weird European jokes confuse me.

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Anyone here, got one?

    Can you please share the bench?

    thanks!

    Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I’m the same boat as others. Was going to pick up the VPS 1000 but so close to BF in two minds

  • @LeonDynamic said:
    I’m the same boat as others. Was going to pick up the VPS 1000 but so close to BF in two minds

    Yeah, it still feels too early to start spending money on server deals. :smile:

    Thanked by 1Falzo

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • It seems like the root servers having dedicated cores is the main difference (and probably support) with vservers, as long as you compare two SAS servers:

    https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vergleich-root-server-vps.php

    If that's the case, and the CPU isn't too oversold and you can use it when needed, the deal seems pretty decent.

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

    datanoise said: ... and the CPU isn't too oversold and you can use it when needed, the deal seems pretty decent.

    yes, that's the case. at least from my experience. there is no limitation on using the shared cores as you want/need/can other then mining is forbidden.

    fresh geekbench from that last years BF vserver: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10711811

    I'd say nothing to be afraid off in terms of CPU power. even if it would only be 4 cores...

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @Falzo said: fresh geekbench from that last years BF vserver: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10711811

    Just did a fresh Geekbench on my old vServer (1 vCore, 1GB RAM) at netcup:

    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10712201

    (I have: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1748 )

    Thanked by 2Falzo datanoise

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • mfsmfs Member

    LTniger said: In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

    I'm that someone.

    I wouldn't add benchmarks, I've quite a few boxes with them for various purposes (LibreNMS, borgbackup, status pages, DNS, a small Nextcloud and generally as sandbox to test stuff) since last year and everything is fine so far

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited November 8

    @mfs said: LTniger said: In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

    I'm that someone.

    As far as I can tell, the main negativity regarding netcup on LET is due to their cancellation policy, which compared to the cancellation policies of typical low-end providers, is admittedly a bit rigid.

    But one should bear in mind that netcup aren't officially represented on LET, nor do they appear to target users of a LET-like mentality.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • I don’t get all the hate towards Netcup for their cancellation process. It’s quite clear and if memory serves correctly it’s even on their control panel the date you need to cancel by.

    Obviously correct me if I’m wrong.

    Thanked by 3angstrom beagle 3606202
  • thanhdangthanhdang Member
    edited November 9

    I just want to add they collect 2.64 euro for reminding you to pay your bill because I was a little late on my payment. And I think somebody logined my window server and changed my admin password. Everything worked fine but one day I can't rdp to my server. And the password worked fine the day before...I have online.net for years and I have never had any problem with them.

  • @thanhdang said: I just want to add they collect 2.64 euro for reminding you to pay your bill because I was a little late on my payment.

    This is related to their contract: if one is late in paying one's bill, then there is a late fee, yes. (I emphasized in my post that netcup have contracts.)

    thanhdang said: And I think somebody logined my window server and changed my admin password. Everything worked fine but one day I can't rdp to my server. And the password worked fine the day before...

    Well, I'm afraid that this is hard for us to evaluate in any sense, and even you don't seem to be sure that it was netcup who did it ("I think somebody [...]"). I'm not saying that you're wrong -- simply that in the absence of evidence (e.g., tickets), we can't really conclude anything about netcup's role in this, so it remains anecdotal.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • This is pretty good, beating recent benches of the Hetzner 8 (shared) vcore cloud server iirc. If the current one (VPS 2000) is similar but with 16gb ram and the 1.5tb sas at 14.49 euro, that's really very attractive, a plausible alternative to something like a Kimsufi KS-10 or 11. Do they still charge EU VAT to non-EU customers?

  • ehabehab Member

    can one install proxmox on the 16gb ram vps?

    • do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year
  • ehabehab Member

    i just asked their support about this and they said you can only create LXC containers. For kvm recommended to use dedicated RS product line. So its clear.

    Thanked by 1uptime
    • do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year
  • FalzoFalzo Member

    @ehab said:
    i just asked their support about this and they said you can only create LXC containers. For kvm recommended to use dedicated RS product line. So its clear.

    also for using nested virt aka KVM, you need to pay an additional fee to get it activated (passthrough of the cpu flags). afaik it's 2€ per vcore, so can get pricey fast.

    Thanked by 1ehab

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @willie said: Do they still charge EU VAT to non-EU customers?

    For private customers, yes, and unlikely to change soon. (Again, note that German VAT is included in the advertised prices.)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • EHRAEHRA Member

    angstrom said: For private customers, yes, and unlikely to change soon.

    That's annoying. They should review this question. Collecting VAT from non-European citizens is a way to "export" taxes.

  • @EHRA said:

    angstrom said: For private customers, yes, and unlikely to change soon.

    That's annoying. They should review this question. Collecting VAT from non-European citizens is a way to "export" taxes.

    EU VAT has been discussed before on LET, also in connection with netcup, but unfortunately, none of us on LET are EU VAT experts.

    On my understanding, netcup's practice is legal but unusual. If you look at the third row ("consumer outside the EU") in the first table ("EU BUSINESSES supplying to:") on

    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/telecommunications-broadcasting-electronic-services/content/when-and-where-charge-vat_en ,

    you see that although normally no VAT is charged to non-EU consumers, VAT may be charged "if the service is effectively used & enjoyed in an EU country". I imagine that netcup is making use of this clause, based on the idea that their servers and services are located in Germany.

    (If netcup were selling software that you download and use & enjoy on your own computer, then they wouldn't be able to make use of this clause.)

    Note that I'm not trying to defend netcup's practice -- I'm just saying that I think that their practice is legal (at least until decided otherwise by a German or EU court).

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • EHRAEHRA Member

    angstrom said: "if the service is effectively used & enjoyed in an EU country".

    This only confirms that the charge is wrong. I am not using and enjoying the service in an EU country, because I am not in the EU. Note that verbs stand location of who uses the services and not of who provides the services.

  • deankdeank Member
    edited November 9

    Can easily be argued that you are using (used & enjoyed) a server in physical German location.

    Just sue them if you feel strongly wronged. Someone has to do it. We encourage you to sue them.

    Thanked by 1bjo

    Fran f0r 2020. U read it here first.

  • EHRAEHRA Member

    deank said: Can easily be argued that you are using (used & enjoyed) a server in physical German location.

    Note that verbs stand location of who uses the services and not of who provides the services.

    deank said: Just sue them if you feel strongly wronged. Someone has to do it. We encourage you to sue them.

    It's just easier not to do business with them. Therefore, for non-European citizens, it is better to hire Hetzner services.

  • deankdeank Member
    edited November 9

    Netcup doesn't see it that way and I don't, either. You either fight them like a man or avoid them like a man.

    You made the latter choice.

    Fran f0r 2020. U read it here first.

  • @EHRA said: deank said: Can easily be argued that you are using (used & enjoyed) a server in physical German location.

    Note that verbs stand location of who uses the services and not of who provides the services.

    Now you're becoming argumentative -- I didn't/don't want to argue.

    Let's put it this way: I think that there is nonetheless a salient difference between purchasing software from an EU company and downloading and using & enjoying it on your own computer in your non-EU country (an example that I gave), on the one hand, and purchasing a server (more precisely, a server-as-a-service) from an EU company such that the server-as-a-service is located in an EU country and (as a consequence) that is where you can be said to use & enjoy it, on the other hand.

    You might say that this difference between these two cases shouldn't result in a difference between not paying VAT (in the first case) and paying VAT (in the second case), but I think that it would be hard to deny that there is a salient difference between the two cases in the first place.

    Again, I'm not trying to defend netcup's practice -- I'm simply saying that I think that it's legal (until decided otherwise in a court).

    EHRA said: deank said: Just sue them if you feel strongly wronged. Someone has to do it. We encourage you to sue them.

    It's just easier not to do business with them. Therefore, for non-European citizens, it is better to hire Hetzner services.

    Go for it.

    (And as @deank says, if you want to take netcup to court, be our guest.)

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @willie said:

    This is pretty good, beating recent benches of the Hetzner 8 (shared) vcore cloud server iirc. If the current one (VPS 2000) is similar but with 16gb ram and the 1.5tb sas at 14.49 euro, that's really very attractive, a plausible alternative to something like a Kimsufi KS-10 or 11. Do they still charge EU VAT to non-EU customers?

    Yeah, the results are pretty nice. It seems better than a cheap dedi as it comes with RAID 10 and their SAS based storage system with SSD cache seems quite powerful...

    I doubt they'll offer anything better during BF (including that much storage) but who knows... :tongue:

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 11

    Can anyone who's tried the Free Snapshot export feature recently, tell me how it works with respect to the disk usage?

    For example for the 750GB model, if I write 350GB of data to the volume , I assume it will allow me to take a snapshot, but not if I write over 375GB of data?

    Or is just the first snapshot export via FTP free? (this is actually enough if you're moving away from netcup due to any Reason)

    I'm seeing conflicting information in the forums.

  • @vimalware said: For example for the 750GB model, if I write 350GB of data to the volume , I assume it will allow me to take a snapshot, but not if I write over 375GB of data?

    Although I've never taken snapshots, yes, this is how I understand it (which naturally limits its usefulness).

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 11

    @vimalware said:
    Can anyone who's tried the Free Snapshot export feature recently, tell me how it works with respect to the disk usage?

    For example for the 750GB model, if I write 350GB of data to the volume , I assume it will allow me to take a snapshot, but not if I write over 375GB of data?

    Or is just the first snapshot export via FTP free? (this is actually enough if you're moving away from netcup due to )

    I'm seeing conflicting information in the forums.

    afaik it's not a full snapshot as in 'diskimage', but like journaling and then saving changes for the next snapshot. only if you export it, it will create a fullblown archive, which you can download from their FTP (so this doesn't count to your disk-space either).

    so if I got this right you should be able to do a snapshot of 375 GB of data, but the next snapshot might depend on the amount of data changed and count against your space for the diff/increment - but I am not totally sure on the latter.

    got the wrong impression, corrected, see below ;-)

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

  • @Falzo said:

    @vimalware said:
    Can anyone who's tried the Free Snapshot export feature recently, tell me how it works with respect to the disk usage?

    For example for the 750GB model, if I write 350GB of data to the volume , I assume it will allow me to take a snapshot, but not if I write over 375GB of data?

    Or is just the first snapshot export via FTP free? (this is actually enough if you're moving away from netcup due to )

    I'm seeing conflicting information in the forums.

    afaik it's not a full snapshot as in 'diskimage', but like journaling and then saving changes for the next snapshot. only if you export it, it will create a fullblown archive, which you can download from their FTP (so this doesn't count to your disk-space either).

    so if I got this right you should be able to do a snapshot of 375 GB of data, but the next snapshot might depend on the amount of data changed and count against your space for the diff/increment - but I am not totally sure on the latter.

    I've just checked: on my vServer, I have 11 GB used out of 20 GB, and it says that I can't make a snapshot.

    Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @angstrom said:

    I've just checked: on my vServer, I have 11 GB used out of 20 GB, and it says that I can't make a snapshot.

    I see. Checked again for another server of mine, and also got to read:

    Der minimal notwendige Speicherplatz zur Erstellung eines Snapshots wurde unterschritten, daher kann kein weiteres Abbild angelegt werden. Damit Sie einen Snapshot anlegen können, muss die Größe des freien Speicherplates ebenso groß wie der durch Ihre Daten belegte Speicherplatz, oder größer, sein. In machen Fällen ist eine Defragmentierung notwendig um Speicher freizugeben.

    which essentially says that one needs at least as much free space as already in use. so, I retract my earlier comment and claim the opposite. :-D

    Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware

    UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

Sign In or Register to comment.