Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS getting full - where it's hogging stuff?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS getting full - where it's hogging stuff?

My VPS' CentOS getting full, I am not at 90%, and I don't have anything big there.

I wonder where it's hogging stuff and what can I clean safely? Who can help me with a hint?

Comments

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2018

Well, you know, the usual places:
    In the cellar, in the Garage, under the sink, in the lower drawers of cupboards and ... above all: kids rooms. Look at the kids rooms first.

That assumes you are even talking about „full“ as in „storage“ and not as in „gets drunk and slows down“ or „needs brainwash aka swap“.

Apart from this generic advice it would obviously help to understand if there’s specific stuff like backup routines running / buffering somewhere, to check if some logging runs amok in /bar/logs ... or just to generally follow the path of „who had the fattest butt“ in ‚du -h —max-depth=1‘
    Or something like that.

Thanked by 3dergelbe eol tux
  • Thanked by 2eol Plioser
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Is your VPS openvz ?

• Thanks, I am a bit unclear what it means though.

# du --max-depth 1
    15536   ./letsencrypt
    28      ./.gnupg
    392     ./lib
    192     ./Maildir
    8       ./.pki
    8       ./.ssh
    20      ./.spamassassin
    12      ./etc
    4       ./.filemin
    8       ./.local
    28      ./usr
    1280    ./.cache
    24      ./.usermin
    18336   .

• @lonea said:
    Is your VPS openvz ?

I use Webmin. VPS is on KVM if that matter and I just have 3 domains on it, all three use email, two of those heavily.

• MGarbisMGarbis Member
    edited November 2018

du / --max-depth 1 -h

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • Ok, lets try...

du / --max-depth 1 -h
    1.7G    /var
    4.0K    /selinux
    4.0K    /media
    487M    /lib
    43M     /opt
    5.7M    /bin
    4.0K    /mnt
    4.0K    /srv
    16K     /lost+found
    7.9G    /home
    160K    /dev
    0       /sys
    323M    /etc
    114M    /boot
    4.4G    /backup
    1.1G    /usr
    du: cannot access `/proc/15284/task/15284/fd/4': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `/proc/15284/task/15284/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `/proc/15284/fd/4': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access `/proc/15284/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
    0       /proc
    29M     /tmp
    18M     /root
    15M     /sbin
    16G     /

Found one black hole in:

5.6G /home/domain1/app

It's used by bolt.cm CMS as cache - which I didn't clear in a few years. I am down from 6.4G to 0.8G in that folder.

I think I am good for now.

• rm -rf /home. Clearly it is taking up all the space.

Thanked by 3MrH Lm85H4gFkh3wk3 tux
  • Before you copy & paste command from above you should study this: https://www.tecmint.com/recover-deleted-file-in-linux/

Thanked by 1eol
  • @MGarbis said:
    Before you copy & paste command from above you should study this: https://www.tecmint.com/recover-deleted-file-in-linux/

I am careful with any rm etc., du is good to display stuff. For the cash cleaning I used the delete cash function in bolt.cm . Strangely, I have two bolt CMS on my VPS but only one is hogging cache data.

All backup files I deleted. They were from 2016. That is one thing really bad about RamNode, you never think about failure.

I think I will look into external backups onto my NAS. Backup on the same VPS is maybe not that useful anyway.

• @dergelbe said:

@MGarbis said:
    Before you copy & paste command from above you should study this: https://www.tecmint.com/recover-deleted-file-in-linux/

I am careful with any rm etc., du is good to display stuff. For the cash cleaning I used the delete cash function in bolt.cm . Strangely, I have two bolt CMS on my VPS but only one is hogging cache data.

All backup files I deleted. They were from 2016. That is one thing really bad about RamNode, you never think about failure.

I think I will look into external backups onto my NAS. Backup on the same VPS is maybe not that useful anyway.

Yeah, rm can be accidentally really bad. Never know who reads these comments. That's why I don't like rm jokes without warnings, because it can be really harmful.

So they say, backups on the same vps or even on the same node are mostly useless. :smiley:
    Hopefully you'll find a solution.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2018

@MGarbis said:

@dergelbe said:

@MGarbis said:

Yeah, rm can be accidentally really bad. Never know who reads these comments. That's why I don't like rm jokes without warnings, because it can be really harmful.

So they say, backups on the same vps or even on the same node are mostly useless. :smiley:
    Hopefully you'll find a solution.

But what does even rm mean? remember? Executing commands from random strangers on the internet, instead of reading the manual page first, is a sign of safety happening, practically.

• @Janevski said:
    Executing commands from random strangers on the internet, instead of reading the manual page first, is a sign of safety happening, practically.

But aren't things you read on the internet mostly true?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @dergelbe said:

@Janevski said:
    Executing commands from random strangers on the internet, instead of reading the manual page first, is a sign of safety happening, practically.

But aren't things you read on the internet mostly true?

Not only true, most things on the internet are a fact.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @MGarbis said:

Well, if you execute random commands or scripts from the net without checking what they are doing first, you deserve no better in case they are harmful imho.

• @eol said:

@MGarbis said:

Well, if you execute random commands or scripts from the net without checking what they are doing first, you deserve no better in case they are harmful imho.

It is sad that people who on purpose try to make harm do not take responsibility for their actions. If someone spreads fake and harmful instructions, it's not victims fault when they harm themselfes. The responsibility lies with the one who deliberately misleads. The civilized world has laws to protect people who are weaker. It's just cruel to make fun of them by making them do stupid things. Every decent forum should ban everyone who try to cause harm to anyone by misleading or somehow else. IMHO

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@eol said:

@MGarbis said:

Thanked by 1eol
  • @MGarbis said:

@eol said:

@MGarbis said:

It is sad that people who on purpose try to make harm do not take responsibility for their actions. If someone spreads fake and harmful instructions, it's not victims fault when they harm themselfes. The responsibility lies with the one who deliberately misleads. The civilized world has laws to protect people who are weaker. It's just cruel to make fun of them by making them do stupid things. Every decent forum should ban everyone who try to cause harm to anyone by misleading or somehow else. IMHO

The purpose was just fun, of course it is your own fault if you blindly follow instructions.
    You would point a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger without thinking, if someone told you so? And then blame others for your own stupid actions?
    No one makes doing anyone anything.
    No one is trying to cause harm.
    If you don't have a clue about the rm command you should probably stay away from *nix/linux machines anyway.
    Calm down and find something else to rant about.

• eol said: If you don't have a clue about the rm command you should probably stay away from *nix/linux machines anyway.

This.

Thanked by 1eol
  • Never thought anybody can think it's ok to make people kill themselves. I'm speechless.

• @MGarbis said:
    I'm speechless.

Finally.

• @eol I'm still curious.
    What kind of life it's to live with impaired empathy and remorse?

Thanked by 1eol
  • How would I know?

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2018

@MGarbis said:
    Never thought anybody can think it's ok to make people kill themselves. I'm speechless.

Just think, if possible; should 80% of the population do this, then the gene pool would improve drastically, many crises would be avoided, other creatures would benefit and the planet may survive a few more millennia. Oh, and there'd be fewer Summer Hosts

• zllovesukizllovesuki Member
    edited November 2018

Check for inodes usage. Your disk space can be 60% full but applications will complain about lack of space. df -i and see if inodes are all used up (especially on ext4 with Docker).

Thanked by 1eol
  • You could always ask for a support from your provider. They will provide you the right commands just like this one.

• ncdu to the rescue.