Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HT and dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HT and dedicated server

Hi,

On a dedicated server, with a CPU with HT (like 4 cores 8 threads). Does the HT really improve something? Or is it better to disable it? (for a basic use as a web server under linux)

Thank you,

Comments

• Sorry, I didn't understand your message CyberMonday.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Leave it alone. What has HT ever done to you? Leave the poor kid alone for God's sake.

Leave him alone!!!

• HT will increase latency and power dissipation, benefit (if any) depends on workload.
    I disable it on all of my servers.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Thank you very much @eol.

• @SteveMC said:
    Thank you very much @eol.

You're welcome. I forgot to say it can also have a negative effect on some workloads.

Thanked by 3SteveMC gol3m FHR
  • Yes , I understood it too, thank you.

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

if you want to use your CPU to the fullest: Turn Hyper Threading OFF on everything.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • I use Hyper Threadding because it sounds cool.

• Don’t mix it up with hyper tunneling.
    That’s how you transfer data between two nodes in 0 time via an artificial micro-wormhole.

Is only useful if you have multiple boxes far away from each other.

Use with care - the wormholes tend to spiral out of control.

Thanked by 3Yura eol NateN34
  • vovlervovler Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • For web server need use HT.
    Intel i7/e3?

• @Firstishe said:
    For web server need use HT.
    Intel i7/e3?

Negative.

• It improves compute performance by about 20% on typical cpu-heavy workloads IME. Don't know about how a web server would be affected. Main reason to turn it off is the sidechannel attacks on multi-tenant systems. On my own dedis I leave it on.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Thank you all for your messages.

Thanked by 1eol
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"And Intel is refusing to patch it"

Obviously, there ego is as big as there market share.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

And what about Frequency scaling, do you disable it? To run at the higher frequency all the time. Advantage, inconvenient? (beside electricity usage)

Thanks,

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@SteveMC said:
    And what about Frequency scaling, do you disable it? To run at the higher frequency all the time. Advantage, inconvenient? (beside electricity usage)

Thanks,

Why would you disable frequency scaling? You're raising cost for your provider and therefore for everyone using them with close to zero performance benefit.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • @Clouvider said:

@SteveMC said:

Thanks,

Why would you disable frequency scaling? You're raising cost for your provider and therefore for everyone using them with close to zero performance benefit.

When coin miner realizes that running dedis to heat death is no longer profitable they still try to burn as much electricity as possible out of principle.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Why would you disable frequency scaling?

I don't know, this why I was asking, ... that the purpose of question, isn't it? This could have reduced latency, or like HT, there could have been security issues being exploitable by malicious code from the frequency scaling.

close to zero performance benefit.

Okay, thank for your answer.

Regards,

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

SteveMC said: there could have been security issues being exploitable by malicious code from the frequency scaling.

The opposite is true. Frequency scaling makes timing attacks impossible.

Thanked by 2SteveMC Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@FHR said:

SteveMC said: there could have been security issues being exploitable by malicious code from the frequency scaling.

The opposite is true. Frequency scaling makes timing attacks impossible.

Less possible

• Frequency scaling increases latency.

Thanked by 1SteveMC