Real working TUN/TAP interface
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Real working TUN/TAP interface

Hello,

Almost all of the VPS services presented here declared that they have a working TUN / TAP interface, but most of them do not work correctly, especially with OpenVPN.
Please advise real working service with TUN / TAP working with OpenVPN

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Learn what the hell you're doing.

    Sincerely,
    @jamespeach

    Ride, Captain, ride, upon your mystery ship.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @flyerge said:
    Hello,

    Almost all of the VPS services presented here declared that they have a working TUN / TAP interface, but most of them do not work correctly, especially with OpenVPN.
    Please advise real working service with TUN / TAP working with OpenVPN

    Thanks in advance

    Why not just take a KVM VPS ? https://hosteons.com/vps.php

    Works great with OpenVPN

    We even offer OpenVZ but with KVM you don't to ask us or your provider to enable anything extra

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HukinHukin Member

    Just avoid OVZ for VPN purposes. Use KVM, that also better performance and speed.

    Thanked by 1Daverno

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • mikhomikho Member, Provider

    I currently only offer OpenVZ and tun/tap is a setting that the end-user can enable/disable from the control panel and I've never heard any complains.

    Shared Hosting offers Amsterdam (NL) | Phoenix (US) | 500gb NAT Storage | Get a LES NAT VPS!
    Lenoir & Kansas City (US) | Falkenstein (DE), | Sofia (BG) | Reins (FR) | Sandefjord (NO) | Sydney & Perth (AU) | Singapore (SG)
  • How about you tell us which provider that doesn't have a working tun tap.

  • Almost all of the VPS services presented here declared that they have a working TUN / TAP interface, but most of them do not work correctly, especially with OpenVPN.
    Please advise real working service with TUN / TAP working with OpenVPN

    Im pretty sure its more about server misconfiguration.

    Works on LXC and KVM well. Cant say a thing about OVZ since we didnt use it for ages.

  • dfroedfroe Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:
    Just avoid OVZ for VPN purposes. Use KVM, that also better performance and speed.

    I agree that the isolated environment of a KVM machine has more advantages when it comes to routing stuff.

    But by design container based systems like OVZ or LXC have less overhead and thus often slightly better performance. Do you have any reference where a KVM benchmark shows actual better results (or is this just your personal feeling)?

    Some sources:
    https://blog.ubuntu.com/2015/05/18/lxd-crushes-kvm-in-density-and-speed
    http://www.patrikdufresne.com/fr/blog/2017-02-25-proxmox-kvm-vs-lxc/

    EDV-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

  • HukinHukin Member
    edited November 7

    dfroe said: But by design container based systems like OVZ or LXC have less overhead and thus often slightly better performance. Do you have any reference where a KVM benchmark shows actual better results (or is this just your personal feeling)?

    KVM at least have one core, but OVZ are shared core, and OVZ more slow than KVM for performance and handle traffic. Pages loaded more quick with KVM. Also TUN/TAP on OVZ resets from time to time, even enabled, so need open a tickets and await few hours or days for response. KVM has a worry free about that.

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:

    dfroe said: But by design container based systems like OVZ or LXC have less overhead and thus often slightly better performance. Do you have any reference where a KVM benchmark shows actual better results (or is this just your personal feeling)?

    KVM at least have one core, but OVZ are shared core, and OVZ more slow than KVM for performance and handle traffic. Pages loaded more quick with KVM. Also TUN/TAP on OVZ resets from time to time, even enabled, so need open a tickets and await few hours or days for response. KVM has a worry free about that.

    Even KVM is using shared cores, if a VPS Node has 64 Cores, do you expect the provider to just sell 64 VPS on it ? Unless the provider is charging premium price and selling dedicated CPU cores it's not possible to provide dedicated cores

    OpenVZ is more light weight and if a provider is not overselling you will get much better performance with OpenVZ

    these days you don't need to ask provider to even enable Tun/tap as it can be enabled from VPS control panel, we sell both KVM as well as OpenVZ and not a single client till date had issues with Tun/Tap on our OpenVZ VPS Service

    Thanked by 1MrPsycho

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HukinHukin Member
    edited November 7

    HostEONS said: OpenVZ is more light weight and if a provider is not overselling you will get much better performance with OpenVZ

    I tried a hundreds of VPS with VPN setup, never say about OVZ faster. I just got a many troubles with OVZ and now avoid at any cost, even no need for free. KVM is great for VPN.

    HostEONS said: these days you don't need to ask provider to even enable Tun/tap as it can be enabled from VPS control panel, we sell both KVM as well as OpenVZ and not a single client till date had issues with Tun/Tap on our OpenVZ VPS Service

    TUN/TAP resets on node side from time to time, even button shows enabled on Solus VM. Switch on/off, reboot,etc, not working. I got it many times. Need to open ticket to enable TUN/TAP from provider side. That takes a hours or days if got surprised exactly in Friday evening :) Also many incorrect OS and OpenVPN scripts installations on OVZ and PPTP, P2TP and not working, etc. There a many examples.

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider
    edited November 7

    @Hukin said:

    HostEONS said: OpenVZ is more light weight and if a provider is not overselling you will get much better performance with OpenVZ

    I tried a hundreds of VPS with VPN setup, never say about OVZ faster. I just got a many troubles with OVZ and now avoid at any cost, even no need for free. KVM is great for VPN.

    That probably happens when OpenVZ Nodes are overloaded or oversold but if a VPS node is oversold it gives better performance, varies from provider to provider

    It's a usual practise with budget OpenVZ Providers to oversell a lot which leads to such problems

    With Tun/Tap never had any such issues and if it ever happens just disable and enable it again from SolusVM that should fix it, and you probably got the wrong provider who does not work on weekends or takes days to respond :)

    But yeah i do agree if budget allows go for KVM it gives a lot freedom and gives bare metal server experience

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • @CyberMonday said:
    Learn what the hell you're doing.

    Sincerely,
    @jamespeach

    Dearest All,

    This is an imposter, please do not confused this for me.

    With Warm Regards,
    James B Peach

    Thanked by 1eol
  • HukinHukin Member
    edited November 7

    HostEONS said: That probably happens when OpenVZ Nodes are overloaded or oversold but if a VPS node is oversold it gives better performance, varies from provider to provider

    How can recognize oversold or now? All advertise about we not oversold but do that. Better to pay few bucks more and get out from that shit.These alchemy innovation heretics must be burned out in inquisition fire :smiley:

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • CoreyCorey Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:

    HostEONS said: That probably happens when OpenVZ Nodes are overloaded or oversold but if a VPS node is oversold it gives better performance, varies from provider to provider

    How can recognize oversold or now? All advertise about we not oversold but do that. Better to pay few bucks more and get out from that shit.These alchemy innovation heretics must be burned out in inquisition fire :smiley:

    As if you can't oversell KVM too.... ./please

    Thanked by 1HostEONS
    BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:

    HostEONS said: That probably happens when OpenVZ Nodes are overloaded or oversold but if a VPS node is oversold it gives better performance, varies from provider to provider

    How can recognize oversold or now? All advertise about we not oversold but do that. Better to pay few bucks more and get out from that shit.These alchemy innovation heretics must be burned out in inquisition fire :smiley:

    Same thing can happen with KVM, but usually providers oversell OpenVZ a lot as they have the excuse of the price they are giving

    But in general OpenVZ is light weight compared to KVM, you just came across wrong providers :)

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HukinHukin Member
    edited November 7

    HostEONS said: Same thing can happen with KVM

    Never got a troubles with KVM from every provider All running from start, never open a ticket to fix something from their side, only for set reversedns if provider not allow it by user. :smiley:

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:

    HostEONS said: Same thing can happen with KVM

    Never got a troubles with KVM from every provider All running from start, never open a ticket to fix something from their side, only for set reversedns if provider not allow it by user. :smiley:

    Most providers even allow RDNS as it's a feature in Control Panel, as i said earlier you just came across wrong provider :) who oversell there OpenVZ a lot :)

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HukinHukin Member

    HostEONS said: as i said earlier you just came across wrong provider :) who oversell there OpenVZ a lot :)

    That not a only reason, really.

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

    Hukin said: KVM at least have one core, but OVZ are shared core, and OVZ more slow than KVM for performance and handle traffic.

    Not a single one of these statements is correct. OpenVZ can have dedicated cores just like KVM can have shared cores. OpenVZ has been proven to have better performance due to the extra overhead required by KVM. Depending on the driver you use for KVM the network performance can be significantly worse than OpenVZ which has basically no overhead. While it is possible for KVM to outperform OpenVZ, if you take an OpenVZ VPS and a KVM VPS with the exact same hardware and resources OpenVZ will always win in every test, it comes down to overhead and OpenVZ has none. You need to start picking better providers if your KVM VPSs are outperforming your similarly spec'ed OpenVZ VPSs.

    Hukin said: Also TUN/TAP on OVZ resets from time to time, even enabled, so need open a tickets and await few hours or days for response.

    The only time the TUN/TAP module would ever "reset" is if you rebuild the OS which essentially deletes the VPS and creates a brand new one (i.e. creates a new config file). If you're VPS is losing the TUN/TAP module the problem is with your provider or their software, not OpenVZ. In my 8+ years of doing this I have never once seen the TUN/TAP module "reset".

    -Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • You should really Google OpenVz VS KVM. You clearly doesn't know how OpenVz and KVM works.

    If you have a problem with a provider using OpenVz , go name and shame them. There are only 2 possibilities. It's the provider who fucked up, or you.

  • HukinHukin Member
    edited November 9

    KuJoe said: If you're VPS is losing the TUN/TAP module the problem is with your provider or their software, not OpenVZ.

    Yes, but not always. KVM has no that issues at all and not depends which provider you use. That what I talking about.

    yokowasis said: You clearly doesn't know how OpenVz and KVM works.

    Really don't care about technical details, just feel it by personal experience. If you drive a car for example you can feel a difference between city bus and own BMW.

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider
    edited November 10

    @Hukin said:

    KuJoe said: If you're VPS is losing the TUN/TAP module the problem is with your provider or their software, not OpenVZ.

    Yes, but not always. KVM has no that issues at all and not depends which provider you use. That what I talking about.

    yokowasis said: You clearly doesn't know how OpenVz and KVM works.

    Really don't care about technical details, just feel it by personal experience. If you drive a car for example you can feel a difference between city bus and own BMW.

    Actually a proper example would be a newbie driver driving a BMW and experienced driver driving city bus, City bus will be still more comfortable and safe here.

    So it basically depends upon who your provider is and who is managing the VPS

    OpenVZ is having much less overheads so it's always going to be much faster then KVM as long as both are running under same conditions i.e. the provider is not overselling the OpenVZ Node :)

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • @HostEONS said:
    OpenVZ is having much less overheads so it's always going to be much faster then KVM as long as both are running under same conditions i.e. the provider is not overselling the OpenVZ Node :)

    Why the hell are you even trying to compare kernel virtualization to a complete virtual PC virtualization? They're not even similar. It's like running things as a slightly elevated user vs, well, a completely emulated machine.

    Thanked by 1Hukin

    Ride, Captain, ride, upon your mystery ship.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @CyberMonday said:

    @HostEONS said:
    OpenVZ is having much less overheads so it's always going to be much faster then KVM as long as both are running under same conditions i.e. the provider is not overselling the OpenVZ Node :)

    Why the hell are you even trying to compare kernel virtualization to a complete virtual PC virtualization? They're not even similar. It's like running things as a slightly elevated user vs, well, a completely emulated machine.

    You are right they are totally different technology but why they cannot be compared ?

    You can do almost everything in OpenVZ that you can do with KVM (there are few exceptions).

    So it all depends upon your requirement but that does not makes OpenVZ inferior or slower then KVM :)

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HostEONS said: Actually a proper example would be a newbie driver driving a BMW and experienced driver driving city bus, City bus will be still more comfortable and safe here.

    If you drive 200-300 cars already you cannot be wrong vs who only drive one bus all time :smiley: Both runs but car always runs faster than bus

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

    @Hukin said:

    HostEONS said: Actually a proper example would be a newbie driver driving a BMW and experienced driver driving city bus, City bus will be still more comfortable and safe here.

    If you drive 200-300 cars already you cannot be wrong vs who only drive one bus all time :smiley: Both runs but car always runs faster than bus

    LOL i won't debate anymore

    If you are comfortable with KVM use that :)

    hostEONS - Premium SSD KVM VPS | SSD OpenVZ 7 VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | Domains | Dedicated Servers Our Latest LET Offer

  • HostEONS said: If you are comfortable with KVM use that

    Yes I did :smile:

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

Sign In or Register to comment.