Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question

DavernoDaverno Member
edited November 2018 in General

So I bringed one of my servers from colacation at home and I'm wondering can I use it as router and with a wifi adapter on top? And what routeros or and firewallos should I use?

Comments

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2018

An efkin server as a home router? Nice m8. Yes, theoretically it's possible to do this. But electrical bill and noise will drive you crazy. Buy some cheap Mikrotik and that's it.

Use that server to host some VPS's and advertise on LET. We need good drama before Christmas.

• DavernoDaverno Member
    edited November 2018

@LTniger said:
    An efkin server as a home router? Nice m8. Yes, theoretically it's possible to do this. But electrical bill and noise will drive you crazy. Buy some cheap Mikrotik and that's it.

Use that server to host some VPS's and advertise on LET. We need good drama before Christmas.

Electricity is verry cheap here and I also got a custom contract with my provider even cheaper. I don't think Mikrotik will be enough powerful as my Server as it will be an multi purpose server. I'm also planning in the near futur to get more isps and my own asn. And about the noise I can handle it also my house is pretty big alot of space to put it. About the vpses lel I might offer a few vpses for free to poor people who can't afford an 5 dolls vps and have them complain on let =drama why server down when I leave for Christmas and I shut down everything because the electricity in my area during that time is funky.

• I knew you are loony, I didn't see the full extent of it.

This looks promising.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Yep, he is definitely the signs.

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree indeed.

• Answer.

Thanked by 2MasonR Janevski
  • Buy an extremely cheap wifi router, and use the server for mining some unknown cryptocoin, just because you do not care about electricity anyway.

Or... Give free VPS to others, for learning purposes, like NanoKVM project already hosted here by @Neoon.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Can you say overkill?

• Seems some of you never heard of lackrack, I however doubt very much op's capabilities to do anything.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

• Did you miss all the days in school that taught what subject lines are for? Or ever used email and Internet forums? FFS with your poor subject descriptions.

• Simple clickbait.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2018

@Daverno The best kind of kill is overkill.

I'd say - go for it. Not because of the noise, heat, power cost, accumulated dust or it being an opposite sex repellent within the radius of 300m, but because of the experience gained.

Get a $40 license, put RouterOS on that and achieve greatness. Either that or get a $22 MikroTik hap lite...

km.mk/eol.png

@eol i am trying to download your avatar as we're speaking, but nothing happens when i click it... Maybe i should click harder, but i'm afraid your post might be load bearing up there and if i damage it, then a cascade of the whole internet comes down tumbling on me and they'll have to dig me up from the wreckage... I know it's something good, whatever i want it to be, most likely Kung Pow 2... If you hear a distant rumble, you know what happened.

Thanked by 1eol
  • feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

Janevski said: @eol i am trying to download your avatar as we're speaking, but nothing happens when i click it... Maybe i should click harder, but i'm afraid your post might be load bearing up there and if i damage it, then a cascade of the whole internet comes down tumbling on me and they'll have to dig me up from the wreckage... I know it's something good, whatever i want it to be, most likely Kung Pow 2... If you hear a distant rumble, you know what happened.

Any tldr; for this part? Lol

• LOL!
    It should at least display my profile...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@feezioxiii said:
    Any tldr; for this part? Lol

Simple.

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @Daverno said:
    So I bringed one of my servers from colacation at home and I'm wondering can I use it as router and with a wifi adapter on top? And what routeros or and firewallos should I use?

If you are serious, you can do a pFsense setup, would be worth it if you can handle the noise and electrical (financial) implications.

• Sad thing is he is probably not trolling.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • DavernoDaverno Member
    edited November 2018

@smile said:
    Seems some of you never heard of lackrack, I however doubt very much op's capabilities to do anything.

Its okay I'm always underestimated. > @UnmeteredPlus said:

@Daverno said:

If you are serious, you can do a pFsense setup, would be worth it if you can handle the noise and electrical (financial) implications.

I was thinking of pfsense or sophos > @TimboJones said:

Did you miss all the days in school that taught what subject lines are for? Or ever used email and Internet forums? FFS with your poor subject descriptions.

I agree with you I shall be more creative or descriptive with my subject lines sorry for triggering you.

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    Can you say overkill?

Yes you can say it so a bit but I did say the word multipurpose.
    Anyways anyone my ISP modem and router is verry funky beside the privacy issues of it, an cheap router won't help me with my expansion and all extra security things I will want it to run and since I will have an server sitting around doing nothing and free time on my hand I planned this, a verry good wifi router in my country is
    200+ euro and an used hp gen8 server with beastly specs is 400+ Soo

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • Answer

Thanked by 2eol Daverno