Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Block Storage Slabs! $1.25/mo for 256GB! $5.00/mo for 1TB! CN2 GIA also available!

Comments

• @jlay said:

Assuming all of my slabs are reasonably spread across their storage nodes and arrays, this setup is pretty resilient.

Very interesting setup! Just feel a bit over-resilient though. Replication over RAIDZ over RAID10 XD.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @msg7086 said:

@jlay said:

Assuming all of my slabs are reasonably spread across their storage nodes and arrays, this setup is pretty resilient.

Very interesting setup! Just feel a bit over-resilient though. Replication over RAIDZ over RAID10 XD.

Thank you! I admit It is perhaps a bit excessive! The main reason behind all the drives is performance and an excuse to use ZFS. GlusterFS generally scales as drives are added, and three drives is a nice spot for raid-z. I've wanted to experiment with these layers of redundancy and see how it performs in the real world, and it seems well enough. I'm maxing out the current gigabit connection :smile:

• Fran what kind of HDDs are you using and what capacity, if you don't mind revealing?

• @willie said:
    Fran what kind of HDDs are you using and what capacity, if you don't mind revealing?

Fran had a Slab build log on hostballs earlier this year.

At that time, there 216 drives and are HGST 8TB drives.

See the link for details.

Thanked by 2Francisco eva2000
  • a little off topic but why is there a slice available in luxembourg when fran release stock on 1st and 10th.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@smile said:
    a little off topic but why is there a slice available in luxembourg when fran release stock on 1st and 10th.

Karen stocks whatever comes in. That being there means someone finalized a cancellation so she loaded it up.

Francisco

• CN2 GIA is a good choice. :)

@JerryHou said:
    CN2 GIA is a good choice. :)

Yes it is :) The latency is awesome.

Francisco

• What is Cn2?

• CN2 is great but also expensive.

• AlyssaD said: What is Cn2?

It's one of several kinds of bandwidth to China and apparently it's a good kind. I don't know specifics but maybe that tells you what you wanted to know.

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited November 2018

@willie said:

AlyssaD said: What is Cn2?

It's one of several kinds of bandwidth to China and apparently it's a good kind. I don't know specifics but maybe that tells you what you wanted to know.

That's one way to put it.

CN2 is just 'China Next Generation Network'. It's paid connectivity instead of going over free peering which is incredibly congested, latent, and suffer from heavy packet loss more often than not.

CN2 has dedicated connectivity just for the paying customers so it's nice and roomy. During peak hours we see a 100 - 150ms difference in latency alone.

Francisco

• @Francisco Did you remove CN2 from the outbound mix for regular IPs?

@techhelper1 said:
    @Francisco Did you remove CN2 from the outbound mix for regular IPs?

Correcto.

I have a virtual-instance where I do my BGP peering for my china-only routes. I have a filter in place that re-routes outbound traffic to that VI based on the source subnets.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Francisco said: CN2 has dedicated connectivity just for the paying customers so it's nice and roomy.

Interesting! Do you have speed and transit limits for slice users (otherwise I could see your connection getting overloaded quickly)? How is it GFW-wise? I don't need it at the moment but it's good to know it exists.

willie said: Interesting! Do you have speed and transit limits for slice users (otherwise I could see your connection getting overloaded quickly)? How is it GFW-wise? I don't need it at the moment but it's good to know it exists.

It's pretty fair share at the moment. We have a decent bit of capacity on it and keep a close eye.

Since people have to buy a 2GB+ Slice to even have the option to purchase it, we keep things from spinning out of control.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited November 2018

@willie said:
    How is it GFW-wise?

CN2 does not bypass GFW, and will share the same experience as 163 and other peerings.

CN2 is only about bandwidth allocation. They oversell it at a minimum amount, and thus it almost never got congested. And as soon as they sell a few, they will start to grow the capacity. Such policy makes it extremely expensive and unaffordable.

• I see. Do you know if it's available anywhere else (e.g. cloud providers)? I don't want to serve web pages to China so can't justify buying a big VPS, but could see wanting to use it for the occasional video chat to someone in China. I.e. tiny amount of bandwidth for short amount of time. Even at AWS bandwidth prices (12 cents/GB or whatever) it could be useful.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo

@willie said:
    I see. Do you know if it's available anywhere else (e.g. cloud providers)? I don't want to serve web pages to China so can't justify buying a big VPS, but could see wanting to use it for the occasional video chat to someone in China. I.e. tiny amount of bandwidth for short amount of time. Even at AWS bandwidth prices (12 cents/GB or whatever) it could be useful.

Not aware of any of the major cloud offerings have it past Alibaba?

Francisco

• Thanks, I found a few old threads. I guess it's interesting but I probably won't pursue it.

@willie said:
    Thanks, I found a few old threads. I guess it's interesting but I probably won't pursue it.

Fair enough :)

It's a specialized thing. For the users in China that want, and can afford the best, there's nothing like CN2.

Many just deal with what they get over the public internet though.

Francisco

• Any looking glass IP for the China Optimized IP?

@PrivacyInfinity said:
    Any looking glass IP for the China Optimized IP?

I'll pm you an IP you can trace.

Francisco

• Do you have the same config in the Netherlands?

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Redswitches said: Do you have the same config in the Netherlands?

BuyVM doesnt have a NL presence, and slabs are only in las vegas for now.

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Redswitches said:
    Do you have the same config in the Netherlands?

LUX will be sometime next year. I need to do a fairly serious reorganizing of the rack over there since it was a bit of a gongshow when we sent all of our slices over.

I'm hoping to not have to take a trip there but we'll see how that all goes :)

Francisco

• @willie said:
    I see. Do you know if it's available anywhere else (e.g. cloud providers)? I don't want to serve web pages to China so can't justify buying a big VPS, but could see wanting to use it for the occasional video chat to someone in China. I.e. tiny amount of bandwidth for short amount of time. Even at AWS bandwidth prices (12 cents/GB or whatever) it could be useful.

If you do not insist CN2, there's AWS lightsail Japan / Singapore which has 163 direct connections, and IDC Frontier cloud VPS in Tokyo which performs pretty well according to my experience.

Both options are pretty affordable. Lightsail is 1TB traffic included per $3.5 and only bills when powering on. IDCF can do a minimum of about 300 JPY (=3 USD) a month for 3TB of traffic included. I simply VPN to those servers and play WOW Chinese realms with no problem.

• Francisco said: I'll pm you an IP you can trace.

The China-optimized IPs are specifically for CN connectivity, aye? Any user from SEA etc will not experience any difference with or without this?

@Boltersdriveer said:

Francisco said: I'll pm you an IP you can trace.

The China-optimized IPs are specifically for CN connectivity, aye? Any user from SEA etc will not experience any difference with or without this?

Right.

Francisco

• Worth reminding, this service's gia cn2 is just the inbound.

Thanked by 1hardgamers