Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Kimsufi/OVH) "VPS SSD 3" vs "KS-7/9"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Kimsufi/OVH) "VPS SSD 3" vs "KS-7/9"

SteveMCSteveMC Member
edited November 2018 in General

Hi,

Firs time poster, trying to do things the right way, but I apologize in advance, if I am not posting in the right category and for my bad English.

To host my own web sites ( ~ 10.000 visitors / day in total ), running nginx/php/mariadb, I am renting a dedicated server at SoYouStart (OVH), an E3-SAT-1-16, all is doing well, the load average is only of 0.5, unfortunately, I need to reduce my budget, something around 15-20 € (before VAT), would be good. I want to stay with OVH/Kimsufi/SoYouStart, and need something at BHS.

So my actual server :

Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 - 4c/4t - 3,2GHz
16 GB
2 x 2 TB (now the same offer comes with 2 x 3)

Here are offers I am considering:

1- VPS SSD 3

2 vCores - 2,4GHz
8 GB
80 GB SSD (local RAID)

• an additional disk of 50 GB (ceph)

2- Kimsufi KS-7

Intel i3-2130 - 2c/4t - 3,4GHz
8 GB
1 x 2 TB

3- Kimsufi KS-9

Intel Xeon W3520 - 4c/8t - 2,66GHz
16 GB
2 x 240 GB SSD

About 1- 80 GB SSD is enough to host the OS and my data, with enough spare room for not limiting the expansion of my sites. The additional disk of 50 GB will be to store files which are not directly used for the sites or which are accessed rarely, so it doesn't matter if the access is slower than the local SSD. Instead of an additional disk, I can also take a KS-1 and use its disk remotely from the VPS, would it better ? (if only KS-1 becomes available again). These data are not vitals, so if a KS-1 disk breaks or become unavailable, this is not a big deal.

Does someone know on which CPU the VPS SSD 3 is running?

About 2- and 3- I know they are only Kimsufi offers, with what it means. If for any reason the server breaks and takes a while (hours or days) to be back online, this is okay for me. Data are also duplicated, so if I loose the content of the disks, this is not a problem either. Downtime is not a big problem (for my use), excepting if this is recurring :)

About 3- it seems to never be available, it's been several months I am refreshing the Kimsufi page, day and night, and I've never seen it available...

All suggestions or comments are welcome,

Thank you,

Thanked by 1AlexanderM

Comments

• @SteveMC said:
    Hi,

Firs time poster, trying to do things the right way, but I apologize in advance, if I am not posting in the right category and for my bad English.

To host my own web sites ( ~ 10.000 visitors / day in total ), running nginx/php/mariadb, I am renting a dedicated server at SoYouStart (OVH), an E3-SAT-1-16, all is doing well, the load average is only of 0.5, unfortunately, I need to reduce my budget, something around 15-20 € (before VAT), would be good. I want to stay with OVH/Kimsufi/SoYouStart, and need something at BHS.

So my actual server :

16 GB

1- VPS SSD 3

2 vCores - 2,4GHz
    8 GB
    80 GB SSD (local RAID)

2- Kimsufi KS-7

8 GB
    1 x 2 TB

3- Kimsufi KS-9

16 GB
    2 x 240 GB SSD

About 1- 80 GB SSD is enough to host the OS and my data, with enough spare room for not limiting the expansion of my sites. The additional disk of 50 GB will be to store files which are not directly used for the sites or which are accessed rarely, so it doesn't matter if the access is slower than the local SSD. Instead of an additional disk, I can also take a KS-1 and use its disk remotely from the VPS, would it better ? (if only KS-1 becomes available again). These data are not vitals, so if a KS-1 disk breaks or become unavailable, this is not a big deal.

About 2- and 3- I know they are only Kimsufi offers, with what it means. If for any reason the server breaks and takes a while (hours or days) to be back online, this is okay for me. Data are also duplicated, so if I loose the content of the disks, this is not a problem either. Downtime is not a big problem (for my use), excepting if this is recurring :)

About 3- it seems to never be available, it's been several months I am refreshing the Kimsufi page, day and night, and I've never seen it available...

Thank you,

Just get the Kimsufi KS-7, ovh vpses are not so good and ks-9 will be too much for the current load.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Okay, thank you very much Daverno !

Thanked by 1Daverno
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited November 2018

Since you're running a database, your websites performance will greatly benefit from SSD drives so I'd definitely recommend using a VPS or dedicated server with SSD drives.

Get a slice at BuyVM or alternatively have a look at Hetzner cloud.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Thank you solaire, for adding to my headache :)

My databases are 3.5 GB ( Data + indexes ), most operations are reading (90% read). Indexes are preloading in memory, and I use wmtouch to cache data. So may be with 8 GB of RAM this can still fit well in memory.

I'd like to stay with OVH/SYS/Kimsufi, because I am french, and I've been with OVH since 2004 (without a single problem), so I feel more comfortable with them.

Thanked by 1solaire
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I would do KS-9, since you get SSDs which you can also put in RAID 1 for more durability. You should have no issues with VPS SSD 3 either - although they can be a hit or miss in terms of performance.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • @SteveMC said:
    Thank you solaire, for adding to my headache :)

My databases are 3.5 GB ( Data + indexes ), most operations are reading (90% read). Indexes are preloading in memory, and I use wmtouch to cache data. So may be with 8 GB of RAM this can still fit well in memory.

I'd like to stay with OVH/SYS/Kimsufi, because I am french, and I've been with OVH since 2004 (without a single problem), so I feel more comfortable with them.

I'm liking their Public Cloud so far and it's cheap to add additional disk/storage, have you checked those out yet?

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • SteveMC said: I'd like to stay with OVH/SYS/Kimsufi, because I am french, and I've been with OVH since 2004 (without a single problem), so I feel more comfortable with them.

Ah, apologies, I had completely missed that. Why don't you spin up an OVH VPS and just see for yourself? From my experience, they perform well. But as @FHR mentions, your mileage may vary.

Problem is likely to be noisy neighbors as they don't seem to limit you in terms of CPU usage. I had one stuck in an endless loop (Linux kernel issue) for over 2 months which brought CPU usage to 100% during that period. They didn't care.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • how much money can be saved?
    i vote ks9

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Thank you all for your comments.

Problem is likely to be noisy neighbors as they don't seem to limit you in terms of CPU usage.

Oh, I assumed that vCores were dedicated cores.

how much money can be saved?
    i vote ks9

This was my initial choice too. The problem is that the KS-9 is never available. As I mentioned in my first message, it's been several months, that I keep refreshing the page, night and day. I also sign up at sites monitoring OVH/KS availability, and since I was so bored waiting, I wrote my own checking script :) and it's never available. This is the reason I am beginning to consider other alternatives, the VPS SSD 3 and the KS-7.

• @SteveMC said:
    Thank you all for your comments.

Problem is likely to be noisy neighbors as they don't seem to limit you in terms of CPU usage.

Oh, I assumed that vCores were dedicated cores.

how much money can be saved?
    i vote ks9

This was my initial choice too. The problem is that the KS-9 is never available. As I mentioned in my first message, it's been several months, that I keep refreshing the page, night and day. I also sign up at sites monitoring OVH/KS availability, and since I was so bored waiting, I wrote my own checking script :) and it's never available. This is the reason I am beginning to consider other alternatives, the VPS SSD 3 and the KS-7.

Just get the ks7 and upgrade once again in the future when more further load and bigger database.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Just get the ks7 and upgrade once again in the future when more further load and bigger database.

Yes, I think this is what I am going to do.

• Ks-9 was available few days ago. There's availability checkers that mail you as soon as it's available, consider signing up with them. NovaDedi is one of those, works flawlessly.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • I guess I blinked then :) Thank you, I signed up at NovaDedi.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

SteveMC said: Kimsufi KS-9

It is available several times a month. In November, it was not yet available.
    Catch it right. I use this server under Windows Server 2016.

The drives there 2x300GB SSD go according to the standard.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • I'd definitely choose between KS-9 / Hetzner Cloud / BuyVM NY / Linode. Currently hosting a torrent tracker using nginx and redis, BuyVM had no problem handling about 1000qps from the Internet.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

SteveMC said: Oh, I assumed that vCores were dedicated cores.

They are dedicated on public cloud but shared on VPS. That said, cpu availability on VPS-SSD is usually pretty good, and on VPS-Cloud probably even better.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

Thank you for the additional comments!

It is available several times a month

At BHS?

For anyone with a VPS or Public Cloud at OVH, I'd be interested by the results of the following commands:

openssl speed -evp chacha20

openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc

@Vova1234 , I don't know if you are using openssl, but if so I'd be interested to :)

Thank you all again!

SteveMC said: At BHS?

It was not available in BHS. This is a SYS server which was sold 3 years ago.

Thanked by 2SteveMC datanoise
  • I meant, when you said the KS-9 "is available several times a month", was it at BHS?

• @SteveMC said:
    Hi,

So my actual server :

16 GB

1- VPS SSD 3

2 vCores - 2,4GHz
    8 GB
    80 GB SSD (local RAID)

2- Kimsufi KS-7

8 GB
    1 x 2 TB

3- Kimsufi KS-9

16 GB
    2 x 240 GB SSD

Thank you,

Why OVH? Can you not use Online.net or BuyVM? Both are in your price range.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

It was available today... but I missed it of course :) but at least there is hope.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

Why OVH? Can you not use Online.net or BuyVM? Both are in your price range.

Like I said earlier in this topic. I live in France, so I feel more comfortable with a French company. I am with OVH since 2004, and all has been great. Ideally I'd like a dedicated sever in North America, Online.net is not proposing. Also, I've been with Online.net for some years too, and this was terrible experience. Things certainly improved since that time, but you know,...

Thanks for the suggestions, but I definitively stay with OVH. I'll see if I can grab a KS-9, otherwise I'll get the KS-7. May be there will be good offers for Black Friday too. My actual server expires at the end of December, so I have still some margin to find a replacement.

Thanks again,

• stick to dedi ks 7 or ks9 for that amount of daily visitors. But ks 9 is good for you.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • SteveMC said: For anyone with a VPS or Public Cloud at OVH, I'd be interested by the results of the following commands:

openssl speed -evp chacha20

openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc

Here's from an OVH S1-8 Sandbox Public Cloud instance ( these are shared and not dedicated cores, everything besides the sandbox instances are dedicated cores) running Debian 9:

root@s18:~# openssl speed -evp chacha20
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 16 size blocks: 47368989 chacha20's in 3.00s
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 64 size blocks: 24028068 chacha20's in 3.00s
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 256 size blocks: 12611482 chacha20's in 3.00s
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 1024 size blocks: 7146444 chacha20's in 3.00s
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 8192 size blocks: 893798 chacha20's in 3.00s
    Doing chacha20 for 3s on 16384 size blocks: 458736 chacha20's in 3.00s
    OpenSSL 1.1.0f  25 May 2017
    built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
    options:bn(64,64) rc4(16x,int) des(int) aes(partial) blowfish(ptr) 
    compiler: gcc -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -DNDEBUG -DOPENSSL_THREADS -DOPENSSL_NO_STATIC_ENGINE -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DRC4_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DGHASH_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM -DPADLOCK_ASM -DPOLY1305_ASM -DOPENSSLDIR="\"/usr/lib/ssl\"" -DENGINESDIR="\"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/engines-1.1\"" 
    The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes  16384 bytes
    chacha20        252634.61k   512598.78k  1076179.80k  2439319.55k  2440664.41k  2505310.21k

root@s18:~# openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 16 size blocks: 96715247 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 64 size blocks: 29276211 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 256 size blocks: 7825620 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 1024 size blocks: 1989273 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 8192 size blocks: 247237 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 16384 size blocks: 123626 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
    OpenSSL 1.1.0f  25 May 2017
    built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
    options:bn(64,64) rc4(16x,int) des(int) aes(partial) blowfish(ptr) 
    compiler: gcc -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -DNDEBUG -DOPENSSL_THREADS -DOPENSSL_NO_STATIC_ENGINE -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DRC4_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DGHASH_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM -DPADLOCK_ASM -DPOLY1305_ASM -DOPENSSLDIR="\"/usr/lib/ssl\"" -DENGINESDIR="\"/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/engines-1.1\"" 
    The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes  16384 bytes
    aes-128-cbc     515814.65k   624559.17k   667786.24k   679005.18k   675121.83k   675162.79k

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Thank you Sin!

Thanked by 1sin

SteveMC said: I meant, when you said the KS-9 "is available several times a month", was it at BHS?

No. RBX only.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Remember also that Kimsufi and VPS-SSD servers have 100 mbit network port. Public Cloud and SYS and OVH-brand dedis have faster ports.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • @willie said:
    Remember also that Kimsufi and VPS-SSD servers have 100 mbit network port. Public Cloud and SYS and OVH-brand dedis have faster ports.

Yes, I know, thank you @willie. This is fine for my usage.

• @solaire said:
    Ks-9 was available few days ago. There's availability checkers that mail you as soon as it's available, consider signing up with them. NovaDedi is one of those, works flawlessly.

It is in France, but I've never seen it available in BHS.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Yesterday, it was available in BHS, for the first time, in months, ... but I was lunching, so I missed it...