Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OpenVZ 7 stable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OpenVZ 7 stable?

edited October 2018 in General

Need to set up a new server and don't want to use OpenVZ 6 anymore. Is OpenVZ 7 nearly as stable as 6 yet? By stable I mean no reboots under medium to heavy load. Even if it's just once every few months.

I am assuming KVM works well?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It’s fine. Perfectly stable.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2018

It’s fine. 99.666% stable.

My mind is not however.

• @deank said:
    It’s fine. 99.666% stable.

My mind is not however.

Its the end of it ofc

• @deank There are easier ways to avoid systemd than migrating to a CC OVZ.

• edited October 2018

So it's all good then. And I am assuming Virtualizor is the CP of choice these days if using OVZ 7 and WHMCS?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2018

Take what you want of this - https://openvz.livejournal.com/49158.html Personally I do not want to continue down the openvz path anymore, too many downsides. Not to add it took way too long for OVZ7

• edited October 2018

@Corey said:
    Take what you want of this - https://openvz.livejournal.com/49158.html Personally I do not want to continue down the openvz path anymore, too many downsides. Not to add it took way too long for OVZ7

That is an ancient post. The person who wrote it is not there anymore and some of the things he talks about have changed.

I plan to mostly used KVM anyways but I like the fact I can do both. Don't like the fact I have to use a custom distro. Would rather install it over top CentOS like I do now.

Sure wish there was an upgrade path from OVZ 6 that didn't require a complete re-install. It's going to be a bugger retiring those old servers and migrating customers and trying to minimize their downtime.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited October 2018

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@Corey said:

That is an ancient post. The person who wrote it is not there anymore and some of the things he talks about have changed.

I plan to mostly used KVM anyways but I like the fact I can do both. Don't like the fact I have to use a custom distro. Would rather install it over top CentOS like I do now.

Sure wish there was an upgrade path from OVZ 6 that didn't require a complete re-install. It's going to be a bugger retiring those old servers and migrating customers and trying to minimize their downtime.

There was a newer post with even more rough statements, but I can't find it right now. It was a discussion in some forums. You are right that things change a lot there. They can't figure out what direction they want to take it seems.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

From my perspective if you want to consider using OpenVZ 7 then Virtuozzo is probably in your future.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    From my perspective if you want to consider using OpenVZ 7 then Virtuozzo is probably in your future.

You try it out much?

I was getting the same feel that they were pushing for you to be as attached to Virtuozzo as possible.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@KuJoe said:

You try it out much?

I was getting the same feel that they were pushing for you to be as attached to Virtuozzo as possible.

Francisco

I gave the initial release a very short lived trial run before killing it with fire, I just downloaded 7.0.8 just now and I'm getting ready to give it a go tonight to see if it's more stable. The ploop filesystem still scares me, but depending on how fast the image backups are I might feel better using it if we switch to daily backups.

edited October 2018

KuJoe said: The ploop filesystem still scares me

Makes overselling disk space a ticking time bomb, switch that back to simfs and all is well. VZ 7 has been great for me, I just screwed up by using ploop on one of the servers, and learned the hard way when struggling for disk space while only half of it was actually in use (I slightly over provisioned with two containers, struggled to keep the outside node from hitting 100%). The option to compress it back down doesn't really work that well on a container that constantly adds/removes a lot of files.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

OpenVZ 7 is stable, had some issues but it was due to a firmware bug, once firmware was updated issues were gone.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

The only reason I would still use ovz 7 is simfs. That was the best feature of ovz6. Without a proper support of it, ovz7 doesn't make sense to me and I would just stick with KVM.

@Shazan said:
    The only reason I would still use ovz 7 is simfs. That was the best feature of ovz6. Without a proper support of it, ovz7 doesn't make sense to me and I would just stick with KVM.

Isn't SIMFS support on it really janky? Like, you have to manually force a VM to use it?

Francisco

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Shazan said:

Isn't SIMFS support on it really janky? Like, you have to manually force a VM to use it?

Francisco

Yes, indeed. They definitely need to fix it before OVZ 7 makes sense to me.

@Shazan said:

@Francisco said:

@Shazan said:

Francisco

Yes, indeed. They definitely need to fix it before OVZ 7 makes sense to me.

They don't want to, they're trying to force people to Ploop.

I remember asking the dev's about it and they didn't even know if they were going to support simfs in OVZ7.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Shazan

@Francisco said:

@Shazan said:

Francisco

I wouldn't call it janky, I'd call it not default. You have to change the default.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

My Singapore location is OpenVZ7 and new ones will be OpenVZ7.

Didn’t use the Virtuozzo iso image but a base CentOS image instead.
    Still a few things missing from Virtualizor compared with OpenVZ6 but in their latest release they added so that the client can turn on/off tun/tap themself.
    Saves a few tickets and manual work for me.

• ¨OpenVZ 6, which is the version used in the standard vps and vps-storage services, will reach end of life by Nov 2019¨

Why are so many providers still offering services based on this?

• @packetnext said:
    ¨OpenVZ 6, which is the version used in the standard vps and vps-storage services, will reach end of life by Nov 2019¨

Why are so many providers still offering services based on this?

That's still a year from now.

• edited November 2018

@jar said:

@Francisco said:

@Shazan said:

Francisco

I wouldn't call it janky, I'd call it not default. You have to change the default.

SIMFS has some major limitations in OVZ 7 from what I remember. Also deprecated and definitely will not be there next version. So probably not being very well tested by the developers anymore. My conclusion was that ploop was the only way to go in OVZ 7 as much as I would prefer to use SIMFS.

Anyone using ploop extensively in OVZ 7? I know it was kind of scary in the early days but I haven't heard any bad things about it lately.

Thanked by 1Shazan
    edited November 2018

LosPollosHermanos said: Anyone using ploop extensively in OVZ 7? I know it was kind of scary in the early days but I haven't heard any bad things about it lately.

What's bad about it is that you can't always reclaim unused space for the host. The function to do it only works in some cases (this being outside of host control, entirely based on user's usage), so once you go ploop you have to plan for 0% disk oversell. Might take you a year or three to regret overselling disk space with it, but it's just a matter of time.

Thanked by 1Shazan