Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there anything cheaper and more cost-effective than contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there anything cheaper and more cost-effective than contabo?

I bought a contabo the other day
VPS S SSD 4.99 EUR/month*
CPU: Four cores
Ram: 8 GB (guaranteed)
Disk: 200 GB SSD 100%
Port :200 Mbit/s port UNLIMITED Traffic
Prepare to upgrade to VPS M SSD 8.99 EUR/month*
Is there anything more cost-effective than this?
Welcome to discuss

Comments

• vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2018

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: It depends.

• @vovler said:

Your 'long answer' were too short. Atleast 69 char needed and contain Uppercarse, lowercase, number, and a dollar symbol.

• @vovler said:

I've been looking for a long time. I can't find anything better
    Maybe there's something I didn't find

• @LarryLi said:

@vovler said:

Then you found the short answer.

What are looking for? More CPU? More RAM? More Storage? More Network Speed?

• @LarryLi said:

@vovler said:

If you will find it, I will be interested in what is cheaper and more cost effective than that.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

For some, Earth ain't just big enough to abuse.

• @vovler said:

@LarryLi said:

@vovler said:

Then you found the short answer.

What are looking for? More CPU? More RAM? More Storage? More Network Speed?

OK.....
    My needs are like this
    At least four core
    8 ram
    300 g disk
    Contabo, however, is 8.99
    So I want to know if there is a better deal than contabo on the premise that this configuration is guaranteed
    Because I made the website, the need traffic is not very much, but must guarantee the network is smooth, the machine runs smoothly

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

no.

• @MikeA said:
    no.

Ha ha
    It seems that I can only continue to use contabo. It feels good, but IO is too low
    But for websites, it's acceptable

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@LarryLi said:

@MikeA said:
    no.

Ha ha
    It seems that I can only continue to use contabo. It feels good, but IO is too low
    But for websites, it's acceptable

Maybe put a free VPN in front of it.

• I still can't understand how Contabo offers that pricing. So: lower? huh?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@fleio said:
    I still can't understand how Contabo offers that pricing. So: lower? huh?

Its called overselling, its like magic.

• @Neoon said:

@fleio said:

Not exactly overselling either as Contabo provide decent performance in terms of what you pay, but the resources are definitely not dedicated.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Prime404 said:

@Neoon said:

@fleio said:

Not exactly overselling either as Contabo provide decent performance in terms of what you pay, but the resources are definitely not dedicated.

Hmm, so decent overselling for the customers, while indecent for other providers? :smiley:

• @Prime404 said:

@Neoon said:

@fleio said:

^this

• they've been in the market (under different names) for a looong time and pretty much own a lot of hw.
  • @fleio said:
    Hmm, so decent overselling for the customers, while indecent for other providers? :smiley:

You always get what you pay for, but with Contabo I tend to argue that you usually get more than what you pay. I've used them for small projects over the years and never had any massive downtime, but support is very limited albeit quick answers per email.

• @Ympker said:

• they've been in the market (under different names) for a looong time and pretty much own a lot of hw.

Definitely and German companies tend to have very good offers in terms of what you pay for the actual services. Most of the companies have been operating for very long so they're no summer hosts and have a very aggressive marketing strategy.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Prime404 said:

@Neoon said:

@fleio said:

Overselling does not mean, you loose performance.
    It just means you sell more resources then you actually have.

Not everyone will use all memory or disk space, so you can do that without hurting the performance anyway. Which in the end result reduces also the price.

If you bring it to the extremes and oversell stuff like x2 or x3 times the resources you have, sure it does impact the performance.

Lowendspirit sometimes oversell memory by the factor x6, thats why it just costs 2-3EUR/y

• @Prime404 said:

@Ympker said:

Definitely and German companies tend to have very good offers in terms of what you pay for the actual services. Most of the companies have been operating for very long so they're no summer hosts and have a very aggressive marketing strategy.

Actually gonna take them up on their offer of giving me a DC tour in Nuremberg (I live closeby) where I plan to colocate my Pi :D Just need settle on time&date where I'll have time.

• @Neoon said:

Not everyone will use all memory or disk space, so you can do that without hurting the performance anyway. Which in the end result reduces also the price.

The difference here is that it's KVM so I'd assume that their hypervisor at least dedicates the amount of RAM that one pays for.

Also, Contabo own the hardware and I'd assume they do use quite a bit of consumer hardware in their datacenters for the sake of saving money. I also bet they pay way less for electricity as they mainly use hydro power and own their datacenters.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Prime404 said:

@Neoon said:

The difference here is that it's KVM so I'd assume that their hypervisor at least dedicates the amount of RAM that one pays for.

Also, Contabo own the hardware and I'd assume they do use quite a bit of consumer hardware in their datacenters for the sake of saving money. I also bet they pay way less for electricity as they mainly use hydro power and own their datacenters.

You can also oversell KVM, basically any virtualization.
    SSD's are cheap these days, if they just use the consumer ones which cost like 60EUR for 512GB or 120EUR for 1TB, sure it could work out.

But the insane amount of memory at these current prices...

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited October 2018

@Ympker said:
    Actually gonna take them up on their offer of giving me a DC tour in Nuremberg (I live closeby) where I plan to colocate my Pi :D Just need settle on time&date where I'll have time.

Sounds like something that's worth it, even if it only has to do with experience, and could be worth it to create contacts with them if that's something you'd like to do.

Either way, even if I've no clue what their datacenter look like, I can be assured that they do not have a few racks in a random garage.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • KVM does support RAM overselling AFAIK.

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited October 2018

@fleio said:
    KVM does support RAM overselling AFAIK.

Though Contabo does guarantee that you can use 100% of the allocated memory.

I've got an idle VM running at them if there is any tests you'd want me to try.

• @Prime404 said:

@fleio said:
    KVM does support RAM overselling AFAIK.

Though Contabo does guarantee that you can use 100% of the allocated memory.

I've got an idle VM running at them if there is any tests you'd want me to try.

Yeah, yeah, (or Ja, Ja). Not like hordes of customer using the their full RAM and running in swap on disk.

Any provider worth his salt knows that overselling is good and lowers pricing for the customer as long as you don't do 1 to 1000 overselling rate.

• @Prime404 said:

@Ympker said:

Sounds like something that's worth it, even if it only has to do with experience, and could be worth it to create contacts with them if that's something you'd like to do.

Either way, even if I've no clue what their datacenter look like, I can be assured that they do not have a few racks in a random garage.

True that :)

• @fleio said:
    Any provider worth his salt knows that overselling is good and lowers pricing for the customer as long as you don't do 1 to 1000 overselling rate.

That's always true and as long as you do not allow customers to reach the amount of overselling you've done, then it should be no problem to begin with.

Though, if you can't do 100% of the resources that's guaranteed by the provider, then you should probably change provider.