Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Choices
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choices

Hello

I was wondering, what are my options for practicing Docker and distributed computing with things like docker swarm that aren't my personal computer?

This is how I see it so far.

1. Use the hetzner VPS I already have (if it even supports container in kvm). But the problem with this is that that I will notice decreased disk performance when I start downloading alot of packages for experimentation with different libraries.

2. Replace hetzner VPS with cheep dedicated server. The conne is, I will have to transfer my existing useless website.

3. Just use dockerfiles into other platforms like Google Compute Engine. But problem with this, is that I need a way of accessing my test web apps online and each platform like this has weird oddities that make it hard to custom diploy. Also, this will get expensive fast.

If you have other ideas/cool cheep sites than please tell me.

Comments

• YuraYura Member
    edited October 2018

Use the hetzner VPS I already have (if it even supports container in kvm

What? Heinz kvm is just a kvm. Docker works just fine inside it.

Replace hetzner VPS with cheep dedicated server. The conne is, I will have to transfer my existing useless website.

Transferring useless or useful websites should not be a problem with docker. It's created to end snowflake infrastructure and make reproducible deployment simple. Hence, docker container - easy to transfer around. Doh.

But problem with this, is that I need a way of accessing my test web apps online and each platform like this has weird oddities that make it hard to custom diploy

¿¿¿ I don't even understand what problem you found here. See my previous point.

If you have other ideas/cool cheep sites than please tell me.

Learn how to use docker. It will solve your problems above.

Thanked by 1Wolveix