Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two new DBaaS - from AWS (production ready) and DO (beta)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Two new DBaaS - from AWS (production ready) and DO (beta)

Last week AWS (Lightsail) have lunched their DBaaS with prices from $15/month:
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-managed-databases-for-amazon-lightsail/

Today I have found this landing page from DO:
https://try.digitalocean.com/dbaas-beta/

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

Sigh again - DigitalOcean: "All Regions except AMS2 ..."

• What is google app engine equivalent on DO / AWS or other cloud provider ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2018

With DBaaS the provider's staff can just stealthily run any queries whatsoever on your DB, save the results, analyze for their purposes -- and you will never know. It is the nightmare of the cloud's (lack of) privacy, taken to the extreme. Don't start on "trusting the provider". The less people and companies you are forced to "trust" to not fail or to not fuck you over, the more reliable your service is, and the safer it is for your data.

I used an offloaded MySQL in the past, but the above is always a nagging thought, even if I don't keep anything too private there. In the end just run my own DB on dedis. At least in case of dedis it's a disruptive action if they want to peek in (and might be far from easily done if I set up FDE).

• @rm_ said:
    I used an offloaded MySQL in the past, but the above is always a nagging thought, even if I don't keep anything too private there. In the end just run my own DB on dedis

Just curious, how do you keep private connection to the dedi?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

akhfa said: how do you keep private connection to the dedi?

If you mean what would I use to access the DB from other servers, I would use WireGuard. But currently my database is only used by the web server running on the same dedi.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • @rm_ said:
    With DBaaS the provider's staff can just stealthily run any queries whatsoever on your DB, save the results, analyze for their purposes -- and you will never know. It is the nightmare of the cloud's (lack of) privacy, taken to the extreme. Don't start on "trusting the provider". The less people and companies you are forced to "trust" to not fail or to not fuck you over, the more reliable your service is, and the safer it is for your data.

You can encrypt personal data on application level.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I actually wonder what the pricing is going to be like.

Currently I run a 3-node redundant MySQL cluster at DigitalOcean for $15 (3*$5). I'd probably pay that much to have them host it (most of the nodes are fairly idle). It's had 99.9% uptime as a cluster for nearly 2-years.

Reading through the LIghtsail post $15 doesnt include 'High Availability' so is possibly a single host. Not super impressive pricing IMHO.