Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your dream core router
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your dream core router

If budget wasn't an issue, what would be your dream core router to run in data center?

To be more specific:

• only brand new gear
  • at least 4 x 10G uplinks, even 40G / 100 G
  • full BGP
  • plenty of Mpps
  • no x86 "router" :)

What else makes is so special?

Whats the full price for it (cards, licenses etc.)?

Comments

• My pick would definitely be the MX104 — not only can it smash more packets than my puny home router can ever dream of doing, it will handle modern tables (the size) somewhat decently.

That said, if you were going for a core router, you’d probably be better off with a T4000. It’s really, really powerful compared to the MX104 :P

Thanked by 1mrKat
  • @doghouch said:
    That said, if you were going for a core router, you’d probably be better off with a T4000.

She is a hottie.
    sarahconnorfans.com/m/page/TX-4000

• TP-Link Archer C50

Summerhost Edition. Including 4 100Mbit Ports. But you can attach server by connecting to WiFi yaaaaay

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

@Yura said:

@doghouch said:
    That said, if you were going for a core router, you’d probably be better off with a T4000.

She is a hottie.
    sarahconnorfans.com/m/page/TX-4000

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @fleio Do you know the difference between a core router and an edge router? They are designed to do different things.

I can accomplish the majority of your requirements with a Juniper EX3300/EX4300 switch and accepting only default routes.

Again to also come to the defense for x86 routing, it is easily possible to achieve wire line performance up to about 85Gbps (if using a Mellanox 100G card). The small hosting providers here need to remember that that is quite a significant amount of traffic to move from your edge, to core, then access, and then individual servers.

A lesson on capacity planning:

It is best to design your core and edge with it's 20-30% capacity to be where you are currently going to start at, so in the future you can double and triple the capacity without spending extra money. Once you have reached 80-90% capacity, you should already have the funds to get another router and shuffle the connections as needed.

• PortMaster PM2e with an extra RS232 block to handle that sweet, sweet OSPF.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @fleio said:
    If budget wasn't an issue, what would be your dream core router to run in data center?

To be more specific:

• only brand new gear
    • full BGP
    • plenty of Mpps

LOL failure Romanians once again

• @Daverno said:

@fleio said:

To be more specific:

• only brand new gear
    • full BGP
    • plenty of Mpps

LOL failure Romanians once again

huh? where's your Aryan fairyland?

• I'd like to try this one CCR1072-1G-8S+

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@ValiSXP said:
    I'd like to try this one CCR1072-1G-8S+

Why would you choose a cheap miktorik, when you have no budget defined as per op?

• If budget isn't an issue, but must be doable in the near future.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

No budget? I'd look at Cisco Nexus, my limited exposure to NX-OS was enjoyable and they're extremely stable (and for the price they better be).

@KuJoe said:
    No budget? I'd look at Cisco Nexus, my limited exposure to NX-OS was enjoyable and they're extremely stable (and for the price they better be).

Nexus'es are mostly switches. Some of them are capable of handling BGP and some layer3 routing though. Doubt about multiple feeds. We're also looking at replacing our core network with Nexus based switching and ASRs for routers. Which models you have experience with?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Most of the better switches (even some home equipment) can do limited routing/edge routing.

The 3 important points imo are:

• Don't use x86 routing for anything professional and beyond n x 1 Gb
    • Be aware of the many security flaws even (or praticularly?) in brand name equipment and plan/act accordingly
    • Be sure to get OpenFlow equipment (not because it's trendy but because it's capable and versatile and can save a lot)

As for the core I'd go Juniper for anything beyond n x 100 Gb and use a high quality OFN switch based one (BGP in the controller) for anything else. Reasons: very fast and well proven data plane at very attractive cost plus way less dependence on closed source equipment known to have lots of holes. From what I can see that's also the way the big players go.

• jsg said: Don't use x86 routing for anything professional and beyond n x 1 Gb

It depends on how its done, but a 10G switch (QFX5100 or similar) with 200k ipv4 (50k ipv6) routing table, and sFlow programming the optimized routes, maybe also running Noction (the free version) would influence it as well.

jsg said: Be sure to get OpenFlow equipment (not because it's trendy but because it's capable and versatile and can save a lot)

I'm not seeing why the LET hosters need that type of complexity in their network. I don't see very many dedi providers doing basic network automation on the layer 2 and 3 sides.

If you really want a real router, I would say the Juniper MX204 or MX240,480,960, for expandability.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@AlexBarakov said:

@KuJoe said:

Nexus'es are mostly switches. Some of them are capable of handling BGP and some layer3 routing though. Doubt about multiple feeds. We're also looking at replacing our core network with Nexus based switching and ASRs for routers. Which models you have experience with?

For which ASR are you aiming?

@FR_Michael said:

@AlexBarakov said:

@KuJoe said:

Honestly, still debating. Most likely from the 1000 series, something with RP2, which can handle a couple of full feeds.

edited October 2018

@AlexBarakov said:

@FR_Michael said:

@AlexBarakov said:

@KuJoe said:

Honestly, still debating. Most likely from the 1000 series, something with RP2, which can handle a couple of full feeds.

Make sure to get 16GB Ram otherwise you might run into route problems sooner or later.

• FR_Michael said: Make sure to get 16GB Ram otherwise you might run into route problems sooner or later.

I think you chose the wrong network vendor if you have to worry about RAM sizes these days. What you really need to worry about is FIB (TCAM) capacity. A couple mil will hold everyone for quite a long time.

• cisco ncs / asr

it will cost arm and leg :(

@techhelper1 said:

FR_Michael said: Make sure to get 16GB Ram otherwise you might run into route problems sooner or later.

I think you chose the wrong network vendor if you have to worry about RAM sizes these days. What you really need to worry about is FIB (TCAM) capacity. A couple mil will hold everyone for quite a long time.

From my understanding of the cisco page and Mailinglists the asr fib size of the routing processor depends on the chosen ram amount. I think you simply missunderstood my comment or maybe my comment was not clear enough. Anyway I would go for juniper mx instead of cisco asr but it is a personal preference.

• LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@FR_Michael said:

@techhelper1 said:

FR_Michael said: Make sure to get 16GB Ram otherwise you might run into route problems sooner or later.

From my understanding of the cisco page and Mailinglists the asr fib size of the routing processor depends on the chosen ram amount. I think you simply missunderstood my comment or maybe my comment was not clear enough. Anyway I would go for juniper mx instead of cisco asr but it is a personal preference.

For ASR9K, the FIB size is dependent on the generation of the line cards, not the amount of RAM in the RSP. Increasing RAM in the RSP will only allow you to scale as a RR.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Lyphiard said:
    For ASR9K, the FIB size is dependent on the generation of the line cards, not the amount of RAM in the RSP. Increasing RAM in the RSP will only allow you to scale as a RR.

Yet another reason to go Juniper.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

juniper mx series routers are very good