Be one of the first to own CrossBox. Try CrossBox free for 3 months!
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Be one of the first to own CrossBox. Try CrossBox free for 3 months!

CrossBoxCrossBox Member
edited October 23 in General

CrossBox

What’s up?
After two years of hardcore development and almost a year in production testing, we’re happy to announce that CrossBox is now available to the public!

What is CrossBox?
CrossBox is on a mission to bring a better Email, Chat & Files to cPanel, Plesk and the World (stand-alone or Docker).

The special offer
You, members of the LET community can use this special opportunity to get 30€ in credits, for free! Use these credits to purchase a license and give CrossBox a try right away.

Claim credits
You can learn more about CrossBox and also claim your credits by visiting our website.

The offer will be available until the 1 of Nov 2018.

Quick installation
Watch the video to see how easy it really is to install CrossBox and get started right away:

We want your feedback!
Please vote on the poll to tell us how would you rate CrossBox. Any reviews and feedbacks are also welcome!

CrossBox
Bringing a better Email, Chat & Files to cPanel, Plesk and the World.

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

This service seems neat, wish you the best of luck.

Thanked by 1CrossBox
  • What's the stack? I can't find references to the licenses of the dependent open source projects in your EULA or otherwise.

• "Claim 30€ in credits and use it to buy and install CrossBox for free"

Are you really buying it if it's a subscription and only for three months? I think this language is outright wrong and you should say "install and try".

• @TimboJones said:
    "Claim 30€ in credits and use it to buy and install CrossBox for free"

Are you really buying it if it's a subscription and only for three months? I think this language is outright wrong and you should say "install and try".

In the post above, @CrossBox says "purchase a license". Is this not accurate?

"[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

• @angstrom said:

@TimboJones said:

I just said it's a subscription and his wording is wrong.
    No , his words are not accurate. That's why there's talk of credits.

• @TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

@TimboJones said:

I just said it's a subscription and his wording is wrong.
    No , his words are not accurate. That's why there's talk of credits.

It just looked like you were directly quoting them ("..."), but you weren't, I guess.

"[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

• I see you removed the poll because the result was overwhelmingly negative.

What makes it better than Nextcloud combined with any email server install script, or mailinbox?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Provider

What's lacking in the first post is clearly what the 30€ in credits gets you. The answer is: your first 3 months free, after that - it's 9.95€ per month (11.41USD/16.14AUD).

Personally I'm really not a fan of subscriptions to host something on your own resources. If it was pay for a cloud edition licence fee to host your own (paid support / upgrades after X years is fine)

A bit pricey in my opinion for anyone just looking to run their own mail server. Sure it's a nice interface (cough looks like Google Inbox) - but I think I'll be sticking with Zimbra community edition.

Thanked by 1coreflux
    X4B - DDoS Protection: EU & US affordable DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation.
    Latest Offer: 1TB and 2TB Anycast DDoS Protection (March Madness)
  • Can I install it on my own server?

• HukinHukin Member
    edited October 23

CrossBox said: hardcore development

:smile:

Which advantages for use for $9,95 per month over a main cPanel or Plesk features?

People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

• Wow, 11 new installations in less than 12 hours! Thank you guys, this means a lot to us!

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

9.14 Third-Party Software.
    The Software contains third-party software the use of which requires Your agreement to additional terms and conditions with respect to such third-party software. The terms and conditions for such third party software are located in their respective source files at /home/crossbox/app/third_party and /home/crossbox/app/pyenv arranged by license type.

@TimboJones

Yes, the wording might be a bit off but it's far from misleading. Everyone knows that if you have 30€ and the license is 9.95€ - you can have it for free for 3 months. It's like an extended free trial (3 months instead of one) and a free trial is a common practice with software companies selling with a license lease pricing model, so I don't think that people are new to it.

@torrbox

A lot of things make it better. There is a plenty of info about this on our website and after all, you can have the free credits to try it and see for yourself.

@SplitIce

Thank you for your input, we appreciate it.

@georgedatacenter

You can host it yourself (install it on your own server(s)) or have it along with the web hosting/mail hosting package from a hosting provider that has CrossBox installed (which may be a cheaper option for the end user)

@Hukin

It depends. There are different advantages for the end users and different for the hosting company itself. Please check out our website - it has a lot of info about both.

CrossBox

• @CrossBox I did and it doesn't work when it says to open the URL. The pages you linked show that it's worse than Nextcloud and has some cpanel/plesk thingy.

I can't get past the login captcha. Do I have to cancel the subscription, or will it terminate automatically when I run out of credits?

• YuraYura Member

Broken business model. You have Google free on one side which is free in exchange for your soul and NextCloud free for geeks and privacy on other side.

You are trying to sell a geek product to geeks that get a better developed one by thousands of people instead of your small team. kek.

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 23

They did spend 3 years developing it and I'm sure it'll have value, but your point is no doubt fair... I pay gmail a couple of quid a month because their ability to detect spam is second to none.

I'd be really tempted to have a logo of a woman's legs crossed.

• @torrbox

@torrbox said:
    @CrossBox I did and it doesn't work when it says to open the URL.

Where does this happen exactly? There were numerous installations and this is the first time we hear about this.

The pages you linked show that it's worse than Nextcloud and has some cpanel/plesk thingy.

Sorry to hear that but everyone has their own taste. You have a total freedom to keep on using NextCloud if it suits you better.

I can't get past the login captcha. Do I have to cancel the subscription, or will it terminate automatically when I run out of credits?

Again, sorry to hear that. If you can't pass the Google ReCaptcha, there is nothing more we can do to help. Sure, you can cancel the license via the client area or let the credits run out.

@Yura

I guess you can't compare CrossBox with anything without trying and using both products and then actually comparing them.

CrossBox

• YuraYura Member
    edited October 23

@CrossBox said:
    @Yura

I guess you can't compare CrossBox with anything without trying and using both products and then actually comparing them.

I guess you should get acquainted with inertia factor in business solutions and see that it's your job to explain how your product is simultaneously better than free offerings from Google team and Open Source community.

Do you even take in consideration that your product is not a solution for something frivolous and unnecessary that people would try for the heck of it? Emails and files and administration of every valuable assets client has is super important and not taken lightly. Maybe I'm weird but I don't just fucking jump my email server and files to a startup that offers me 3 month trial because I'm apparently mean to try out new thing under the Sun. It just doesn't work that way and I'm trying to help here.

update: even your title here gives away how clueless your campaign is. "Be one of the first to own CrossBox" - the last thing people want is to be beta testers for email/file service that they also have to manage themselves. You are basically screaming this is not a battle tested product.

• No it was not about my taste. I am saying I can't see anything that's superior to Nextcloud. Can't you tell us maybe 3-5 great features that Nextcloud doesn't have?

• @Yura

We did our job of building a product, creating a website and explaining everything in our documentation. It didn't built itself and if you think that someone is stupid enough and at the same time can afford a team of full-time developers for 3 years without a business plan, I think that you're mistaken.

To me, it seems like you didn't do your due diligence, and that is learning about a product, exploring it, using it and then reviewing. You just came up with a bold statement that somehow one thing is better than the other, without actually giving both a try. No one expected you to move to CrossBox immediately. Actually, none of our current clients did that but what they did do is they usually spin up a small VPS, install CrossBox, try it, like it and then move over to it.

Your statement that it is not battle tested is just another example of the bold statements you just throw out in the wild, without any actual knowledge about the app.

@torrbox

Can't you tell us maybe 3-5 great features that Nextcloud doesn't have?

Sure, the list is very long and I'll update the thread when it's done.

Thanked by 1Plioser

CrossBox

• CConnerCConner Member, Provider

Love the design!

• I don't consider anything owned if I have to pay a recurring subscription for it. Unless it's a one-off cost - it's not an owned license. You could as someone else suggested do recurring fees for upgrades and support.

The wording in its current from I would have to agree and say I consider this very misleading wording as well.

• do you guys have hosted demo ?

• doghouchdoghouch Moderator
    edited October 23

Edited title to more accurately represent the actual offer provided (30 EUR credit, base plan is 9.95 EUR/mo).

Edit: The offer isn't even exclusive to LET, so yeah... I don't know why he said "members of the LET community can use this special opportunity to get 30€ in credits, for free!" :|

Edit 2: It doesn't seem to work properly (the installer) on CentOS 7. (tested on a clean/fresh instance running on AWS)

Edit 3: Doesn't install on a fresh DO droplet either (running CentOS 7). The installer itself runs, but the installation page never comes up.

Thanked by 1Yura

Thanked by (0):

• YuraYura Member

yes, im pissed

@doghouch said:
    Edited title to more accurately represent the actual offer provided (30 EUR credit, base plan is 9.95 EUR/mo).

>
    So much for "owning my own crossdressbox". meh

Edit: The offer isn't even exclusive to LET, so yeah... I don't know why he said "members of the LET community can use this special opportunity to get 30€ in credits, for free!" :|

what a tool OP is. Blanket forum spamming and even pretending to giving us special attention.

Edit 2: It doesn't seem to work properly (the installer) on CentOS 7. (tested on a clean/fresh instance running on AWS)

no way! they had 11 installations last day! it's super stable, ditch your gmail now, like everyone did

At least 4 persons in this thread said they either didn't understand why crapbox is better than established solutions or it didn't work outright and this tool, the OP of Crapbox is telling us to do due diligence and learn their documentation...

ffs.

Thanked by 1willie
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

doghouch said: Edit 3

edit 4: its an offer without a provider tag, above the LET price limit and in the general section.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member
    edited October 23

@doghouch

The installer is using a self-signed certificate to keep the data between your web browser and the installer encrypted. You need to ignore the SSL error when you access the installer via the URL. This is needed because during the installation you are accessing the installer via the IP.

This is very well explained in the quick installation guide, step two.

Also, there is a video clip with an installation process shown in detail.

@AnthonySmith

We asked about this here and you replied (back then you were an admin) here.

CrossBox

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

CrossBox said: @AnthonySmith

We asked about this here and you replied (back then you were an admin) here.

And I said:

AnthonySmith said: Essentially if you have something that may be of interest to the community and you are offering it at a good discount for the community you will be allowed to make a post on request after a mod had reviewed its value.

This will usually be a one off or at best once every 6 months but not on a regular basis.

It must also be related to hosting somehow.

I guess a mod approved the above LET price on a none recurring basis, before you posted it, fair enough

• Is there a free 'dirt box' version?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Struggling to see how it will add value to me or clients. @CrossBox why is this solution better than other more established products already on the market?

@CrossBox It’s not the certificate. The link that the installer displays leads to:

https://(my_server_ip):5000

keeps timing out.

Thanked by (0):

edited October 23

@doghouch

Did you make sure that your server provider is not blocking port 5000? Could you try starting the installer on an open port with passing the --port argument to the installation script:

cd /root/crossbox-installer
    sh install.sh --port 5000

@Yura

So much unfounded hate coming from a guy who says "and I'm trying to help here." On the other hand, we ourselves were nothing other than polite to you. Why so much bad energy from your side?

CrossBox

• HukinHukin Member
    edited October 23

Just no need a innovate bike again, old dirt bike can run faster than a new polished one.

Thanked by 1Yura

People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

edited October 23

@CrossBox said:
    @doghouch

Did you make sure that your server provider is not blocking port 5000? Could you try starting the installer on an open port with passing the --port argument to the installation script:

cd /root/crossbox-installer
    sh install.sh --port 5000

I tried unblocking the port in firewalld and on Lightsail’s networking tab.

Sadly, it still doesn’t work :(

(I’ll send you a PM later to see if I’m missing something.)

Thanked by (0):

• @Hukin

We think that innovation and advancements should never stop and sometimes an old dirt bike is just that - an old dirt bike.

@LeonDynamic @torrbox

Features that CrossBox has and NextCloud does not:

• full WebSocket support for awesome, real-time experience
    • more modern design and better end-user experience
    • browser push notifications (for every major web browser), even when the app is not running
    • in-browser previewer capable of previewing docx, xlxs, ppt, images, video, audio, pdf, and almost every other file format without the need to download them
    • multi-account (be logged in to several accounts and still get emails, chat notifications and quickly switch between the accounts)
    • multitasking (minimize activities into the in-browser taskbar)
    • navigate through the app without a full browser reload which causes it to lose its state
    • full-featured WYSIWYG and HTML email composer
    • threaded mail view (split and pop out)
    • share mail attachments directly from the mail
    • email signature templates (select from a predefined list or design your own)
    • e-mail read notifications (notifies you when your email has been read)
    • e-mail filters (conditions to match and actions to execute when receiving an email), without the need for sieve scripts
    • inbound and outbound spam scanning (if enabled)
    • email spam indicator (recognizes spam headers set by any spam scanner)
    • email anti-identity spoofing (dkim, spf and dmarc validity indicators)
    • e-mail import from any IMAP server (done in the background, you can continue using the app)
    • spam/ham learning (if enabled)
    • custom email folders (with the adjustable icon, color)
    • request receipt for the email

• team folder (share with others in your @domain.com)
    • drop files, have them shared and link copied to your clipboard for faster sharing

• download pdf version of a file
    • folder upload (can handle thousands of files)
    • real-time attachment sharing while in a chat/call
    • while in a call, you can minimize it and continue using all other aspects of the app
    • full Android and iOS apps (with all modules fully functional, not just files module)
    • call anyone who has an e-mail address (they get an email invitation and can join in the call just by clicking the link)
    • a TURN server which improves audio/video call quality and allows for lossless large conference calls
    • dark mode :P (switches to dark mode at sunset to go easy on your eyes), or you can keep it always dark or always light
    • does not store emails to a database so no double waste of disk storage
    • app-wide Redis caching built in for best performance and speed
    • settings for each module (tweak module configuration to suit your specific needs)
      ... and many more being actively added.

And our cPanel/Plesk thingy allows hosting providers to:

• offer CrossBox as a webmail option through cPanel/Plesk
    • cluster mail - one IMAP/SMTP/POP3 (e.g. mail.your-hosting.com) for all customers from different servers
    • cluster webmail - one webmail URL (e.g. mail.your-hosting.com) for all customers from different servers
    • have all data hosted in user's hosting account and within limits of the hosting package quotas
    • infinite scaling just by adding more slave servers to the cluster via the admin area
    • sell it as your own with full branding support (your own app name, brand logo, color schemes, and Android/iOS Apps)

@shyaminayesh

We'll have a web demo link tomorrow, so you can try everything out without installing.

For now, here is a video demonstration of what using the app looks like:

Thanked by 1Plioser

CrossBox

• Thanks that helped a lot with comparing, although some features are present in Nextcloud (either the same way or different/better), or technically not really a difference, or possibly disadvantageous.

So it basically has an email server, a fancier email app, the cpanel/plesk thingy, and some small improvements like better file preview, lossless calls, and a single mobile app for everything.

But it lacks caldav for now, encryption, external storages, federation, notes, and plenty of other things, doesn't it? That makes it impossible for me to use it.

I can't help but feel like all that time and effort would have been better spent on a Nextcloud fork, or on a Nextcloud email app + email server install script, maybe a mobile client.

• @CrossBox said:
    Wow, 11 new installations in less than 12 hours! Thank you guys, this means a lot to us!

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

The Software contains third-party software the use of which requires Your agreement to additional terms and conditions with respect to such third-party software. The terms and conditions for such third party software are located in their respective source files at /home/crossbox/app/third_party and /home/crossbox/app/pyenv arranged by license type.

@TimboJones

Yes, the wording might be a bit off but it's far from misleading. Everyone knows that if you have 30€ and the license is 9.95€ - you can have it for free for 3 months. It's like an extended free trial (3 months instead of one) and a free trial is a common practice with software companies selling with a license lease pricing model, so I don't think that people are new to it.

@torrbox

A lot of things make it better. There is a plenty of info about this on our website and after all, you can have the free credits to try it and see for yourself.

@SplitIce

@georgedatacenter

You can host it yourself (install it on your own server(s)) or have it along with the web hosting/mail hosting package from a hosting provider that has CrossBox installed (which may be a cheaper option for the end user)

@Hukin

It depends. There are different advantages for the end users and different for the hosting company itself. Please check out our website - it has a lot of info about both.

No, that's bullshit misleading and you're just going to look scummy this way. You even say it's close to a free trial, except you don't mention 3 months free trial, you say purchase a license and then don't mention it's a subscription or the monthly price. We're talking about your post, not what was later to be seen on your website. Instead, you're intentionally not offering a free trial by requiring a purchase, although you're crediting that purchase for now. Because what you're selling is a subscription, not a license that any reader is expecting, you're misrepresenting your offer and starting off with a breach of trust.

And I call bullshit on businesses trying your software on a small VPS and then switching over to it. I was just in a 3 person office where the owner had 23GB mailbox. Mine is 17GB. Installing on a small VPS works for 1-2 IT people to try it, but they are in for future pain moving production to a quickly made small VPS.

As you are a start up about to release, time to hire the appropriate marketing person and go back to developing. Hire a woman. They are generally better at community building and outreach, in my experience.

• @TimboJones said:

@CrossBox said:
    Wow, 11 new installations in less than 12 hours! Thank you guys, this means a lot to us!

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

@TimboJones

@torrbox

@SplitIce

@georgedatacenter

@Hukin

No, that's bullshit misleading and you're just going to look scummy this way. You even say it's close to a free trial, except you don't mention 3 months free trial, you say purchase a license and then don't mention it's a subscription or the monthly price. We're talking about your post, not what was later to be seen on your website. Instead, you're intentionally not offering a free trial by requiring a purchase, although you're crediting that purchase for now. Because what you're selling is a subscription, not a license that any reader is expecting, you're misrepresenting your offer and starting off with a breach of trust.

And I call bullshit on businesses trying your software on a small VPS and then switching over to it. I was just in a 3 person office where the owner had 23GB mailbox. Mine is 17GB. Installing on a small VPS works for 1-2 IT people to try it, but they are in for future pain moving production to a quickly made small VPS.

As you are a start up about to release, time to hire the appropriate marketing person and go back to developing. Hire a woman. They are generally better at community building and outreach, in my experience.

the discussion will focus on the title of the post?

or in the features of the software?

CrossBox: can you install your software in a vps to perform the tests?

• @georgedatacenter said:

@TimboJones said:

@CrossBox said:

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

@TimboJones

@torrbox

@SplitIce

@georgedatacenter

@Hukin

I didn't mention the title, this is about the content of his post misrepresenting his product and providing feedback to alert him to as much. It will focus on whatever is about the product. Discussing features means fuck all if your first impression of the developer behind it is shady AF.

Do you need further clarification so you don't have to ask such a basic question again?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @TimboJones said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@TimboJones said:

@CrossBox said:

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

@TimboJones

@torrbox

@SplitIce

@georgedatacenter

@Hukin

I didn't mention the title, this is about the content of his post misrepresenting his product and providing feedback to alert him to as much. It will focus on whatever is about the product. Discussing features means fuck all if your first impression of the developer behind it is shady AF.

Do you need further clarification so you don't have to ask such a basic question again?

@TimboJones said:

@georgedatacenter said:

@TimboJones said:

@CrossBox said:

@fpmagic

From the EULA:

@TimboJones

@torrbox

@SplitIce

@georgedatacenter

@Hukin

Calm down, child

• @TimboJones

I was just in a 3 person office where the owner had 23GB mailbox. Mine is 17GB. >Installing on a small VPS works for 1-2 IT people to try it, but they are in for future pain >moving production to a quickly made small VPS.

CrossBox is plug and play, meaning that you can install it on a server where you already have a mail server running, so moving data is not required at all. CrossBox will detect that there is already an IMAP/SMTP server present and it'll use that one.

And in the case when you really want to move emails, it has an email import tool that any user can run from their CrossBox account. It'll run in the background and you can track the import progress in real-time. The import tool is built to have a minimum impact on the server while running.

@georgedatacenter

CrossBox: can you install your software in a VPS to perform the tests?

Anyone can install it and run whatever kind of tests they want.

When signing up, we require no billing details to be filled in (so it's practically impossible to get charged after the free credits run out). We wouldn't auto-charge even if it was possible, but hey, with so much dishonest companies around I understand where the paranoia is coming from.

@torrbox

I can't help but feel like all that time and effort would have been better spent on a >Nextcloud fork, or on a Nextcloud email app + email server install script, maybe a >mobile client.

NextCloud itself is a fork of OwnCloud and the stack it inherited is way too old. There isn’t much you can do with jQuery UI for frontend and PHP for the backend. Anyone who forks NextCloud will face the same technical challenges and limitations that come with using their stack.

On the other hand, we chose to have CrossBox's backend written in Python and Golang, with frontend in AngularJS.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

CrossBox

• After two years of hardcore development and almost a year in production testing, we’re > happy to announce that CrossBox is now available to the public!

nice to see CrossBox ready for prime time. Hope to see a lifetime subscription deal for BlackFriday2018, please make it happen. :)

@CrossBox said:
    And our cPanel/Plesk thingy allows hosting providers to:

• offer CrossBox as a webmail option through cPanel/Plesk
    • cluster mail - one IMAP/SMTP/POP3 (e.g. mail.your-hosting.com) for all customers from different servers
    • cluster webmail - one webmail URL (e.g. mail.your-hosting.com) for all customers from different servers
    • have all data hosted in user's hosting account and within limits of the hosting package quotas
    • infinite scaling just by adding more slave servers to the cluster via the admin area
    • sell it as your own with full branding support (your own app name, brand logo, color schemes, and Android/iOS Apps)

is there any way to hack CrossBox to work with MXroute service such that it acts as a whitelabel reseller function for email accounts?

• I'll have to give this a try. Are you wanting feedback? If so, in this thread or somewhere specific?

Tab Fitts | Founder/Chief Executive Manager - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || SSD VPS || Dedicated Servers || 1-844-799-HOST (4678) || Black Friday Sale 50% Off VPS (BFVPS2018)

• let me know when you have the demo link ready :smile:

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 24

So, you basically offer just a software contains a fancier email GUI with google-drive-like capabilities and google-like chatting, that has to be self-hosted (so, adding the costs for a server and the management of the server) for ~10$ per month.
    What exactly does this software that Gmail don't, when Gmail offers better price, plus space, plus excellent spam and virus filters?

CrossBox said: Features that CrossBox has and NextCloud does not:

A tech user (that is needed anyway to install your software) can do all that for free with either:

• a rainloop or, better, a SOGo installation combined with pydio or nextcloud for more simplicity, or, even better,
    • the community edition of Zimbra combines all that you offer for 10$ per month, for free and much more: owncloud full integration :smiley: full thinkfree office suite integration :smiley: mail/tasks/files sharing :smiley: drag and drop capabilities :smiley: full social networking integration :smiley: webex video calls :smiley: task and collaboration service for coworkers :smiley: full calendar compatible to gmail :smiley: easy imap importing :smiley: a sophisticated search function for emails :smiley: tabs and windows in their email platform :smiley: scheduled delivery :smiley: chat :smiley: CalDAV and CarDAV :smiley: a desktop client :smiley: aggregation of third-party email services like gmail, yahoo, ms (all the mails in a single interface) :smiley: voip integration and hundred of third party open source apps to fit the needs...
    • And there are also more open source and free similar tools like kolab, zoho etc.

So, can you please share with us your arguments why someone use your newly created and untested product that offers much less that the open source free competitors?

CrossBox said: We think that innovation and advancements should never stop and sometimes an old dirt bike is just that - an old dirt bike.

If I understand correctly, you mean that zimbra, zoho, gsuite are the old dirty bikes and your CrossBox is the new better solution? Really? That's an ambition of you!

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

• The only business model I could see for this, is to release it for free as open source and create some useful and catchy paid apps (e.g. sophisticated automatic spam filters, integration of third party software and services etc.) or/and offer support and management for a fee.
    But then again, it's your business, your view, your decisions...

Just don't be angry when LET members (the members of the forum you came and tried to make your "offer" look as... unique for them - not a good start) criticize you for your product...

• If a program actually fits in memory and has enough disk space, it is guaranteed to crash.
    • If such a program has not crashed yet, it is waiting for a critical moment before it crashes.

edited October 25

@eDigital

Please contact us via PM so we can discuss this further.

@SpryServers_Tab

Great, we're always looking for a feedback.

@shyaminayesh

CrossBox demo is available here.

@jvnadr

All projects that you mentioned are “standalone version”. That being said, our primary focus was never becoming another Zimbra or NextCloud. We are mostly focused on the hosting providers which are our primary customers. This means a seamless integration with the most popular control panels in the hosting world (cPanel and Plesk), which none of the open source projects you mentioned offer out of the box.

Actually, the first version of CrossBox was cPanel only - as you can see on this link. We announced a cPanel only version on Dec 2017. There we got a lot of requests that a standalone version would be a great addition to it. So we obliged and in March 2018 we announced it.

In this topic, we did compare the features with NextCloud because some of the posters here demanded the explanation as to why the standalone version of our app is better than NextCloud.

the community edition of Zimbra combines all that you offer for 10$ per month, for free

Now, let's take a look at that pricing comparison.

Zimbra has an 8GB RAM and CrossBox 2GB RAM requirement so:

Digital Ocean/Vultr VPS 8GB RAM 40$ + Zimbra 0$ = 40$ (community support)
    Digital Ocean/Vultr VPS 2GB RAM 10$ + CrossBox 11.34$ = 21.34$ (support included)

Also, almost none of the projects you mentioned allow you to brand it and sell it as your own - they tend to have really strict license rules regarding this. Some are not even self-hosted, so they don't come under the same category as CrossBox.

Just don't be angry when LET members criticize you for your product...

We are not angry. Why should we be? We welcome every feedback and we try to learn from all kinds of different opinions that people present to us.

Thanked by 1flips

CrossBox

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Provider
    edited October 25

CrossBox said: Zimbra has an 8GB RAM and CrossBox 2GB RAM requirement so:
    Digital Ocean/Vultr VPS 8GB RAM 40$ + Zimbra 0$ = 40$ (community support)
    Digital Ocean/Vultr VPS 2GB RAM 10$ + CrossBox 11.34$ = 21.34$ (support included)

That's actually a decent argument, but you can run Zimbra on 4GB easily for the sake of comparison.

X4B - DDoS Protection: EU & US affordable DDoS protection including Layer 7 mitigation.
    Latest Offer: 1TB and 2TB Anycast DDoS Protection (March Madness)
  • I actually like it a lot, not installed yet but will.

What I like the most if cPanel integration, the three webmail cPanel uses sucks, if they used RainLoop it would be different.

This end-user is really good, will give it a chance. However, I must be honest, I would only use it so some of my users could have a decent webmail but is not my priority, so being honest I would pay $3/mo for it. Will use the trial tho!

• @CrossBox any plans to support LDAP?

• jsgjsg Member
    edited October 25

@CrossBox said:

This isn't born-yesterday.com, this is a community where most users have at least some experience and don't tend to fall for "Lure them to the site and then make them sign up for a trial".

It was your choice to write a longer product intro but now it's ours to be satisfied by your intro or not. Many are not. One of the reasons is lots of marketing blurb rather than real info.

@CrossBox said:
    @Yura

We did our job of building a product, creating a website and explaining everything in our documentation. ...

Bullsh_t! That was but the first part of your job. As you decided to sell your product there obviously is a second part which is to convince people and to really answer their questions instead of "go to the website", "watch the video" etc. canned marketing BS.

You asked for feedback. Here is mine: Frontup, I'm not a potential customer. I neither need nor like panel type products (but I'm someone to whose advice some potential customers listen). Plus my field is IT security which makes me think in a way and ask questions you most probably wouldn't like.

That said, I'm not against your product or your company. I do know that there are very many people out there who need and look for panels and the like. Maybe yours is good and useful.

YOUR approach here, your attitude is what makes me mistrust CrossBox and I'm convinced that it would be better (incl. as in "selling easier and more") if you just were honest and straight and simply - and directly - answered any questions that come up here.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @desfire

Glad to hear that. Thank you!

@desfire said:
    What I like the most if cPanel integration, the three webmail cPanel uses sucks

Actually, it's only two now. The Death of SquirrelMail

@jsg said:
    to really answer their questions instead of "go to the website", "watch the video" etc. >canned marketing BS.

We answer directly to every question and the proof lays in both of the forum threads that we started. But sometimes, when the question is too broad we simply can't answer it in a short, direct manner. In that case, we suggest visiting our website and then asking about something specific.

@jsg said:
    Plus my field is IT security which makes me think in a way and ask questions you most >probably wouldn't like.

We welcome all IT and security specialists to ask questions and do the testing.

@luissousa

Not in the near future as we didn't receive any requests for it.

CrossBox