Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM centralbackup will fixed someday?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM centralbackup will fixed someday?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

It's crazy that this file is not yet fixed.
Our customers can not do a backup of his VPS.
We receive every weeks some ticket from some customer related "the backup not run".
Why this is not a important thing for Soluslabs?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If it doesn't work you can always using another backup method. We use Bacula4hosts. It integrates with whmcs + solusvm and works much better than their backup

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@Fliphost said:
    and works much better than their backup

On the SolusVM central backup, the client with 1 click can backup his VPS and with 1 click can restore that backup. As admin, I can set the limit of backups per VPS.

I dont need more... this is simple and run Ok and I pay for it. Why not run after several months?

• @jmginer said:
    It's crazy that this file is not yet fixed.
    Why this is not a important thing for Soluslabs?

I imagine those are questions only Soluslabs can answer.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think the last solus exploit pretty much put a halt on feature development. That's my take on their priorities by way of external perception. Probably for the best. I don't think central backup is ever going to work as intended without potential conflicts, until something changes with vzdump.

@jmginer Just setup and let it go. Clients can restore themselves:

http://sales.fliphost.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=48

Full server or specific files

• @Fliphost said:
    If it doesn't work you can always using another backup method. We use Bacula4hosts. It integrates with whmcs + solusvm and works much better than their backup

At our time of enquiry it did not support KVM.

@ShardHostSarah Billing for KVM is slightly different. It is based off their Onapp billing model while OpenVZ is pay once for the entire node.

• @Fliphost said:
    ShardHostSarah Billing for KVM is slightly different. It is based off their Onapp billing model while OpenVZ is pay once for the entire node.

Although billing was one issue, the method they required at the time was to install the daemon on each client KVM.

@shardhostsarah That is if you use the openvz type style backup on it.

The KVM one is per $3ish per vm then cheaper if bulk vms

• Backups on the same node ? Huh?! GREAT making backup on the same node will make one client happy while another client will become angry of intensive disk usage.

• @alexvolk said:
    Backups on the same node ? Huh?! GREAT making backup on the same node will make one client happy while another client will become angry of intensive disk usage.

None of the methods mentioned so far are backups to the same node.

• I use the ftp backup feature. You can now set it on a per plan basis. It's only for automated backups which I realize is not a replacement for central backup. You can also enable quick backup for them as a stop gap. Make sure to tell them that it only allows 1 backup every 24 hours. There might be some way to change that. Not sure.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:
    I think the last solus exploit pretty much put a halt on feature development. That's my take on their priorities by way of external perception. Probably for the best. I don't think central backup is ever going to work as intended without potential conflicts, until something changes with vzdump.

Definitely for the better. Security should always be the #1 priority.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

Well, this is not about new features. It is about an old feature that got broken. While security is the most important, fixing things that they broken should be the second top priority and should not be neglected.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@rds100 said:
    Well, this is not about new features. It is about an old feature that got broken. While security is the most important, fixing things that they broken should be the second top priority and should not be neglected.

I think it's mostly because vzdump is rather touchy. I can't recall if quick backup uses it or just makes an archive using standard methods. You can use vzdump all day without major issues, but having clients initiate it exposed a lot of bugs to us when Catalyst used virtpanel. There were a few containers that got wiped because it decided that it didn't like it when two clients ran vzdump at once. Suppose a queue could work.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

The containers were only wiped temporarily until our backups finished, then it would restore the wiped container. However if there was a long cue it left that container in a very questionable looking state from the customers view in the panel.