Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDoS World Map
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDoS World Map

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited October 2013 in General

http://goo.gl/AFy710

Bad, few attacks are less than 10Gbps...

Comments

• I'm always asking myself how they are able to measure it.

Thanked by 1D3vil
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@taronyu said:
    I'm always asking myself how they are able to measure it.

http://www.digitalattackmap.com/faq/

The Digital Attack Map presents data gathered and published by Arbor Networks ATLAS® global threat intelligence system. ATLAS sources its data worldwide from 270+ ISP customers who have agreed to share anonymous network traffic and attack statistics. Data is updated hourly and can also be found in Arbor's ATLAS Threat Portal. DDoS data ©2013, Arbor Networks, Inc.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

TL;DR: isn't a global map, only measurements from some Arbor Networks partners. Obviously there are much more than a dozen ongoing attacks at the moment.

Thanked by 1D3vil
  • I'm always leery of "Focus Here on This Problem!!!" internet maps. Remember the "Worldwide list of WMDs" maps of Circa 2002? What about the "Current Hacks against USG" maps of 2007? etc. Maps like this, I believe, exist to promote something other than what the average viewer initially believes.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

It all depends on your sampled data, Looking over my reports I can see 95%+ of attacks are less than 10Gbps. However if you are protecting large clients like banks (for a pretty peny) like Arbor of course your attacks are going to scale accordingly.

• There are also some interesting insights into attacks in the latest Akamai State of the Internet report http://www.akamai.com/dl/documents/akamai_soti_q213.pdf?WT.mc_id=soti_Q213 (attacks/security are in section 1...it's a 40 page .pdf report).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Is it just me or does this look like the entire world vs Tennessee.

• @jarland said:
    Is it just me or does this look like the entire world vs Tennessee.

Looks more like Cincinnati. I wonder what's hosted there.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Neah it is US as a hole.
    I see France also has it's share probably due to OVH. I really have high hopes they will attract most DDoS magnets with their prices and protection.
    I see Romania also is getting attacked, I wonder who is protected here by arbor. Voxility has own system and they take a lot of flak, from some trafic graphs i think 20-30 gbps are constantly ongoing and some 100 gbps spikes are frequent in a day. With 1 gbps lines available to most residential customers from 1st of november for 15 $, every joe dick and harry will be able to put pressure on them.
    Interesting graph but it is far from telling the whole story.

• Arbor data = for promotion as that's their primary business. Nothing against them, but it's likely mixed with marketing, inflated numbers, etc.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

I think it'd be more useful if this graphic incorporated DDoS traffic as a percentage of the total Internet traffic moving in and out of the country. I'd expect the see the most DDoS traffic in the US because more Internet traffic routes through the USA than any other country--but as a percentage, I'm not so sure what the graph would look like.

• I remember hearing about a site with an accurate (provider neutral) map of attacks. While I google, enjoy this

• maybe a rendering issue, but from here it looks like the USA has a space elevator and they are DDOSing space.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ricardo said:
    maybe a rendering issue, but from here it looks like the USA has a space elevator and they are DDOSing space.

The WMD of the new world?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Maounique Voxility probably takes 100Gbps+ on a fairly regular basis. I've got quite a few reports of my combined zone utilizing 50Gbps for more than a day at a time. And I am sure there are people taking far more heat than me.