Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ssh shells, some use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ssh shells, some use?

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
edited February 2012 in General

Well i have three old servers on my house and I was thinking about offering some ssh shells, they can share the same IP but different ports... But what can you do with a SSH shell? Do you think this plan can work? Thx

Comments

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited February 2012

What's a secure shell shell? Are you saying you want to offer a VPS or Dedicated with SSH Access available? And I don't think that would work out well if you're trying to sell it... at best, it could be your own personal server.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, yeah, sorry, just SSH haha. Abd like VPS, but very low... Thats why I asked, I dont know what to do with these servers hahaha

• It'd be good for you to experiment with them, or use them for development projects.

• I don't see the point now days, Would be better to sell the old boxes on Craigslist or use them to learn new stuff (get some certs etc).

Back in the day Shells could come in handy but now a days with the prices on LEB's plain old shell accounts are not very common anymore.

Shells on good hardware in good datacenters may still be popular for development/compiling (and of course the unmentionable uses lol) but an old box in someones basement on a home ISP I don't see being very popular.

• @AsuraHosting said: What's a secure shell shell?

Back in the days before the Web 2.0 we had shell accounts at someones linux/unix box. This was fine because the person bought a bigger connection with a dedicated IP and everybody could donate to cover the costs. It was a friendly atmosphere without the bullying and runners like in the VPS-biz today. CJB.net ist still offering them, as well as dozen of other guys.

• i have one here since they started >> http://nic-nac-project.de/ They are still going strong.

• I've thought that we should offer them, but we've had enough people buying our 96MB VPS for malicious use that I don't really want to think about what they would do if they had an entire, un-hindered server at their disposal.

• @Damian

Offering shells isn't an easy task, I think you must do extreme hardening in your server :P
    Get an account in shellmix.com and tell me what you can do with it :P their server has a lot of tweaks to disallow lots of things.