Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Video Hosting

What is the best way to host some of our own videos where we own the content and don't have to worry about another service using or selling our content. Maybe I am being paranoid...but I'm just not sold on Youtube or Vimeo. Most clips are under 1 minute with the occasional clip being longer than that. Budget is up to $15 a month. We already have hosting with @loveservers GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• It might be easiest for you to host these vis a CDN with video support (most good CDNs support this) - https://bunnycdn.com/solutions/video-delivery along with some like videojs/JWPlayer.

You'll own it end to end, while ensuring solid playback across most platforms. Unless you're looking for a self hosted solution.

• So these wouldn't need to be transcoded?

• How hosting it not on Youtube or Vimeo prevents anyone selling your content? It's not about video hosting but exercising copyright law, if possible.

• @Cre8tivStudios said:
    What is the best way to host some of our own videos where we own the content and don't have to worry about another service using or selling our content. Maybe I am being paranoid...but I'm just not sold on Youtube or Vimeo. Most clips are under 1 minute with the occasional clip being longer than that. Budget is up to $15 a month. We already have hosting with @loveservers GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use vps or dedicated server. make video as private allow only premium members.
    if your videos in public any one can be use.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited October 2018

Cre8tivStudios said: What is the best way to host some of our own videos where we own the content and don't have to worry about another service using or selling our content.

This is technically impossible to do, even in theory.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@desperand said:

Cre8tivStudios said: What is the best way to host some of our own videos where we own the content and don't have to worry about another service using or selling our content.

Pretty much yes, that's correct. There are, however, ways to make it hard for the average Joe to download the content. When referer locks, secure tokens and HLS with AES encryption are brought together, downloading the whole file becomes a big PITA. We've recently also experimented with our own implementation that we named "Jumping Token" - the token changes every few seconds and even the most profound downloaders could not, at the time, download the full stream and combine the fragments to a single file. But such a solution has its own limitations. We also offer automated transcoding, but it is not within OP's budget.

I would suggest that OP stick to YouTube or Vimeo unless they are ready to spend some more for a finer solution.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:

@desperand said:

Pretty much yes, that's correct. There are, however, ways to make it hard for the average Joe to download the content. When referer locks, secure tokens and HLS with AES encryption are brought together, downloading the whole file becomes a big PITA. We've recently also experimented with our own implementation that we named "Jumping Token" - the token changes every few seconds and even the most profound downloaders could not, at the time, download the full stream and combine the fragments to a single file. But such a solution has its own limitations. We also offer automated transcoding, but it is not within OP's budget.

I would suggest that OP stick to YouTube or Vimeo unless they are ready to spend some more for a finer solution.

Well how's the streaming performance? And did you try with IDM it used to capture any video content packet by packet for download.

But no matter how hard you encrypt or do stuffs like Jumping Token, an average Joe could get the content by putting it on full screen, tuning up the video res to top and record. No one could restrict that, that's the limitation.

• My main issue was copyright and the "google" monster tha we were trying to avoid. Obviously anything can be stolen off the internet. I guess we just want to be the ones delivering the content if you steal it ...at least steal it from me....lol. We are demoing BunnyCDN as suggested and the speed and costs are so far working out.... aside from manual thumbnails I think this may work...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • @Cre8tivStudios said:
    My main issue was copyright and the "google" monster tha we were trying to avoid. Obviously anything can be stolen off the internet. I guess we just want to be the ones delivering the content if you steal it ...at least steal it from me....lol. We are demoing BunnyCDN as suggested and the speed and costs are so far working out.... aside from manual thumbnails I think this may work...

You can easily used ffmpeg and php to do a batch style generate of thumbnails for videos in a folder.

• @ShihabSoft said:

@PUSHR_Victor said:

@desperand said:

Well how's the streaming performance? And did you try with IDM it used to capture any video content packet by packet for download.

But no matter how hard you encrypt or do stuffs like Jumping Token, an average Joe could get the content by putting it on full screen, tuning up the video res to top and record. No one could restrict that, that's the limitation.

The takeaway is risk mitigation of your video being streamed. You could always stenographically tag the sources coming out to those sites and get a better obtainable source of where that video came from.

At the end of the day, if your video content is that secure and cannot be redistributed in any fashion, offline viewing within closed/restricted doors is the only way to go. Extreme method, but if that's what your use case needs require.

• How much storage?

If it's just 4-5 videos then you can set up anycast with BuyVM and you can run your own CDN for the videos.

They have servers in Luxembourg, San Jose (maybe Las Vegas?), and New York.

• I have at least 40 videos...and will have more...so BunnyCDN is working for now...

• Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep

Wouldnt suggest YouTube

• I am purposely NOT using youtube...

• Look at cloudflare. They recently introduced transcoding. May be easier all together but still Bunny is good choice.

• Cloudflare didnt have an pricing on video delivery, just a button to contact sales. I am still getting a lag with video delivery from bunny. But overall solid performance. I will admit the video is 44 minutes long (bible study) so I can't complain...too much..hahaha

• Ok I tried Bunny CDN and it's really delivering to mobile devices like I thought it would. Back to the drawing board....just wasted two weeks...

• link to the video

• @Cre8tivStudios said:
    Ok I tried Bunny CDN and it's really delivering to mobile devices like I thought it would. Back to the drawing board....just wasted two weeks...

which region r u targeting?

• Here is the test link: http://cre8tivstudios.com/8/video-portfolio/ I am using wordpress and a plugin I bought from themeforest. It's a little bit tedious but it doesn't play smoothly on phones. I added a pull zone specifically for larger longer videos. Here is another test site. www.houseofdavidaz.com Right on the front page.

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited October 2018

@HostSoch said:
    Video hosting or any media hosting requires huge dedicated stable resources to mange the huge requirements of videos. At, Hostsoch, we provider that's are highly suitable for videos hosting.

Otherwise, High end cloud server and VPS plans are also suitable options for Video hosting. Siteground, Bluehost are also the .

Fairly sure this is against the rules since you have such a small post count (3 posts, all adverts) and no provider tag.

Edit:

Removed links to that person's website since they got banned and I don't want to help their SEO.

• a4vXwEa4vXwE Member
    edited October 2018

Video hosting or any media hosting requires huge dedicated stable resources to mange the huge requirements of videos. Otherwise, High end cloud server and VPS plans are also suitable options for Video hosting. Siteground, Bluehost are the recommended options suggested here.

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

• Ok now that we are done banning........................ :)

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

I'd say use a video hosting template from themeforest, host on your own VPS or dedi & cloudflare or other CDN.

• @Cre8tivStudios said:
    Here is the test link: http://cre8tivstudios.com/8/video-portfolio/ I am using wordpress and a plugin I bought from themeforest. It's a little bit tedious but it doesn't play smoothly on phones. I added a pull zone specifically for larger longer videos. Here is another test site. www.houseofdavidaz.com Right on the front page.

Did BunnyCDN support HLS? Because you definitely need it for (working) mobile streaming!

You could also look into setting up your own network with big pipe low end boxes running ffmpeg + http-flv.

• I can always run quicktime, and record it live while it runs on my computer. You truly cannot prevent it... SO that is why you see others saying it is "technically impossible"?

• I am not trying to livestream. Just deliver video files WITHOUT using Youtube or Vimeo. I'd prefer to brand my own content and so would my clients

• smilesmile Member
    edited October 2018

@Cre8tivStudios said:
    I am not trying to livestream. Just deliver video files WITHOUT using Youtube or Vimeo. I'd prefer to brand my own content and so would my clients

you can pay a premium with cloudflare and their firewall rules/workers to control the content . yes i'm mentioning it again since you can sign up now. not sure what your problem is.