Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for business partner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for business partner

laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, however I didn't believe this would be where the offers are.

My background is that I created HTTPZoom back before the real ultra low VPS had been done and pretty much brought that product to market, around 2012 I decided to cash out of the business and now have a new idea which involves web hosting and also some other aspects that business' need.

I'm looking for a partner who can help establish processes and also execute decided actions. I go from lots of free time to having busy weeks due to the business consulting I do and therefore need someone reliable with a good work ethic and decent skills in marketing.

The project is and will be fully funded by myself and the % ownership will be based on a sweat equity model.

Happy to discuss this more via PM without an NDA or anything like that. Please ensure when you PM me you let me know what your experience is (especially in marketing) and also what you enjoy doing most as part of a business.

Comments

• OmgpleaseReadOmgpleaseRead Member
    edited October 2018

How much are you contributing to the seed round? Will it be a LLc? Will a trusted 3rd party control shares until vesting?anticipated 1st year staffing? Whose equity pays for expansion when the idea guy gets bored and the sweat guy needs help?

• With all due respect, it sounds like you want someone to do all the work without having to pay for a wage, instead you present a carrot.

Maybe it's just me, but that's how your text strikes me.

If you have an idea and want an actual partner, I'm sure there are plenty of people in this board alone that can bet some chips with you, and work with you, not, for you.

Thanked by 2willie Yura
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

This has disasters written all over it.

• @deank said:
    This has disasters written all over it.

LowEndPartners Business Group

Thanked by 1willie
  • # meh

Thanked by 1willie
  • Wasn't HTTPZoom the provider who ddos'ed every competitor in the UK back in the days? Not trying to spread false information, but the name somehow rings a bell...

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

100% not looking for someone to do the work for free and agreed if there were not protections in place it may be a big problem advertising here, however HTTPZoom ran well and had a partner I found here.

Maybe the language of the post for certain people says I'm looking for a subordinate to work for free, this isn't the case, I've got a decently rounded idea backed up by market research and I'm looking for someone who can help me push it forward.

It'll be LLC or LTD company, with contract in place to ensure when someone comes on board they are protected and have what they can expect clearly defined.

Can provide details of staffing and also extra investment in private for those interested.

edited October 2018

@Amitz someone spread that rumour at some point, but it was 100% not true, we suffered as well, but mitigated the attacks better as had strong links with Rapidswitch.

HTTPZoom was well run and had very few issues for the whole life of me having the company.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Amitz I'm curious.
    Pmed you.

• what is this project? creating a new provider company?

• If the idea is so great - hire all the cheap people on here and own it yourself. Ah theres the rub, there is risk involved - so you are trying to mitigate your risk to those who will work for free in exchange for mythical equity. Basically you have an idea and you want to fo it, but not lose money trying. So what is the planned liquidity event? what is the dilution when you bring on more investors? You basically want to be the boss with no risk cause you are busy with other things but are too cheap to pay.

Thanked by 1Yura

Lowend ambition.

Thanked by 2userandom armandorg
  • Ideas without implementation worth nothing. Who gets the work done should get the profits.

@Yura couldnt agree less. Good Ideas are rare to come by, you then need people who can plan and process them correctly and also doers.

Adding into the fact that money is always required to get ideas going your views are not compatible with my own.

• @latic if the idea is so good - pay people- go to fiverr and split things amongst many people who will love to be paid $5 and a promise. Find the guys here doing cust service for 300 a month. or the guy willing to work for 5 per hour. 1 cust service and the 5 dollar guy is 1100 a month. Sprinkle 900 around fiver and 200 for llc and 1 month 2200 and the basic shell of what idea is there is ready to go. Maybe 200 for real computing. But azure and aws have programs- but hey you know all about that don't you and google too. I guarantee you don't have the balls to put up 25 grand first year toy do what I just described- hence the hunt for freebies

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Is the idea you have different from everything out there already?

• YuraYura Member
    edited October 2018

@latic said:
    @Yura couldnt agree less. Good Ideas are rare to come by, you then need people who can plan and process them correctly and also doers.

Adding into the fact that money is always required to get ideas going your views are not compatible with my own.

Couldn't care less over your disagreement with me. I write here not for your benefit but to warn another person who is too eager to look at it critically and rationally.

What is your tracking record? Are you an Y-Combinator alumni? Maybe a star employee at some unicorn company? An angel investor yourself? The answer is a resounding No to all of them.

It doesn't take a Visionary to make a hosting company. Quite on contrary, it takes a man with no imagination to not only enter an oversaturated market but also see race to bottom as an innovative approach.

Ideas are not businesses, until they are turned into something people pay for, they worth nothing. Your refusal to admit this simple fact known to anyone who ran a startup or read a decent business book ones, exposes you as either a pipe dreamer or a man who would rather let others do all the work and test his "ideas" and "market research".

Incompatible, my ass.

edited October 2018

There are moments that a man has got to be cocky.

During start-up is not one of those moments, especially when he doesn't wish to shell out his own funds.

@yura I believe my pedigree with creating, investing and also helping start-up companies speaks for itself. Unfortunately I believe you are talking from a point of having very little experience, you haven't done the dance before. Nor does it seem you can read. This isn't a hosting company.

We are incompatible as you aren't what I'm looking for, best of luck with using your skills to give you the life you deserve!

@deank funds have gone into the project, marketing budgets are available and there are funds set aside for paying staff members. I'm unsure where you are getting your information from, but its incorrect.

• @latic is this software business?

• @latic said:
    @yura I believe my pedigree with creating, investing and also helping start-up companies speaks for itself.

@latic said:
    My background is that I created HTTPZoom back before the real ultra low VPS had been done and pretty much brought that product to market

• edited October 2018

OmgpleaseRead said: what is the dilution when you bring on more investors?

Could you let us newbies know how dilution work? How to prevent it from happening when you are approached with equity compensation? Basically, how to protect ourselves?

@jcaleb its not software based.

Thanked by 1jcaleb

@OmgpleaseRead the amount of investment required at this stage is likely going to be north of $25k for the first year based on advertising budget, payment for staff, infrastructure etc.

I know you are thinking why am I posting on LowendTalk? A few reasons, one its worked for me before, two I've hired people into employment form Lowendtalk and they've worked out really well, three the summer is over.

The reason I want a partner, rather than to pay someone is if I find the person with the right skills they'll be an asset to the business and hopefully prop up some of the areas I'm not strong on. Someone who is working with an interest in the business, in my opinion, is likely to put more effort in (again the right person) than someone I'm bringing in on a wage basis.

Support and development are already taken care off, I do not need a lacky, but someone with a decent track record and interested in the product I have to offer.

Again this is not my first dance, HTTP Zoom was founded by myself and then I took on a partner which made the business better. It was an extremely successful business, had great reviews and as stated due to conditions of the market place I cashed out at the right time. I've also been on advisory boards for other start ups and happy to provide that detail to people who are interested in talking about the idea (Rather than those with nothing better to do who simply want to make up a persona of myself in their own heads and run with it!)

@greattomeetyou dilution would be due additional shares of a company being issued. Say at the start 1000 shares were issued and you had a person with a controlling stake, in addition to a lesser owner. Should funds need to be raised externally you can either keep the company with 1000 shares and sell those, or you can increase the amount of shares to say 2000 (making the 1000 original shares have half their worth).

• @latic said:

From experience, I disagree with your assessment on entrepreneurship. It appears I am not alone: https://www.entrepreneurshipinabox.com/9637/ideas-easy-implementation-matters/

Depending on someone else to execute your idea is a recipe for disaster most of the time, unless your name is Musk. You should learn more about marketing or areas you don't know, and execute it yourself, while staffing cheaper backup personnel.

From experience, depending on others to market and sell your product is not going to get you anywhere. Either reach out to an investor for the network you need, or get out your business card holder.

@nebulae again I've gotta disagree.

I'm not looking to give an idea to someone and let them implement it. If I was going to do this as others have said I'd be better off splitting things down into tasks and having fiverr/freelancer.com do them. Not sure where you believe I've stated "I'll be doing nothing for the business, apart from putting the money in, providing the resources and giving the idea".

Again I'm approaching this in a way which has been successful for me in the past. I'm not looking for advice from people in the thread. I am looking for people who want to speak via PM to see if we are a good match for the project.

This discussion has been closed.