VPS/Dedi provider for mission critical services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

VPS/Dedi provider for mission critical services?

Hey guys

I'm wondering what providers you use for mission-critical stuff?

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

AWS

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo
    Prague, CZ location coming soon!

• Amazon lightsail

• SummerHost / AWS

• @Neoon said:
    Kimsufi.

The end is nigh.

• NeoonNeoon Member

@dodheimsgard said:

@Neoon said:
    Kimsufi.

The end is nigh.

No? Kimsufi is solid, for the price, especially the flash sales they did.
    The HDD may break every 2-3 years but thats like 40 minutes downtime, then its replaced.
    You pull your backups and you be fine.

• Kimsufi can be stable indeed. No downtime on one of my nodes there for quiet some time now.

My main systems are with SYS and Hetzner. Backups on Kimsufi.

• Novogara and WSI, of course!

• deankdeank Member

Home server in basement.

Remember to disable signatures in your setting.

• imokimok Member

Ramnode and Digital Ocean

Janitor @ Netflix

• You wouldn't be asking here for mission-critical stuff!

• dmtrdmtr Member

Softlayer and OVH

delta.chat - Instant messaging with your right to privacy back.

• define:mission critical stuff

• ehabehab Member

@quick knows- best.

• do not prepay > 1 year and check for reviews/support
    • only use monthly from a provider operating < 1 year
  • sinsin Member

My $35 Quickpacket.net server has been reliable. I keep lots of backups so worst case scenario if one of my vpses/dedis goes down then it'll be just a few hours max (which is fine for me) to get everything back up and running.

• KwoonKwoon Member

Linode is good

• quickquick Member

@ehab said:
    @quick knows- best.

I am specialized on offshore bulletproof hosters only.

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

Buy two LET-boxes, setup some fancy replication and failover mechanism between them and you should be able to achieve enough nines for most LET-critical stuff.

Or in other words: Never put your eggs into one basket.

Thanked by 1Xei

EDV-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

@dmtr said:
    Softlayer and OVH

I agree on Softlayer, but OVH, really ?! With the amount of avoidable failures they had with cooling, single fibre to DC, etc ? You can’t really put OVH in the same shelve as Softlayer, c’mon. Be serious.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• hzrhzr Member

Clouvider said: I agree on Softlayer, but OVH, really ?! With the amount of avoidable failures they had with cooling, single fibre to DC, etc ? You can’t really put OVH in the same shelve as Softlayer, c’mon. Be serious.

one has hardware accelerated xml gateways, one has a polish-french guy that plays guitar, c'mon you know which company you want to do business with

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited October 9

A slice in Luxembourg (BuyVM). Working great so far.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @deank said:
    Home server in basement.

Basements flood.

• dfroedfroe Member, Provider

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:
    Home server in basement.

Basements flood.

Build a backup datacenter in your top floor or ask some friendly neighbour for a colocation and put some fiber under your garden to his house. :)

EDV-Service David Froehlich | Individual network and hosting solutions | RIPE LIR services (IPv4, IPv6, ASN)

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 9

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:
    Home server in basement.

Basements flood.

So do DCs and nuclear power plant backup generator rooms occasionally.

• deankdeank Member

Bicycle generator

Remember to disable signatures in your setting.

@deank said:
    Bicycle generator

Imagine the data centre engineer calling to the electricity supplier, begging for the power to return :-)

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• jackbjackb Member, Provider

@MasonR said:
    Mzungu ofc

Newtork is fast my man

Thanked by 1MasonR

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

• YuraYura Member

Good enough for the Secretary of State? Good enough for me.

• Just use @Clouvider and be done.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Dont'TalkAboutLetClub Free @WSS!! Free @WSS!! Anyone see where I parked @jar car?

upto32.com Retro at it's best

• dmtrdmtr Member

@Clouvider said:
    I agree on Softlayer, but OVH, really ?! With the amount of avoidable failures they had with cooling, single fibre to DC, etc ? You can’t really put OVH in the same shelve as Softlayer, c’mon. Be serious.

Maybe i am a relatively new customer of their (have a VPS since 2016 with them) and that's why I don't really know anything about the issues you have mentioned, so I guess they improved a lot because i had zero problems with them.

• Hamster powered DC.

@dmtr said:

@Clouvider said:

Maybe i am a relatively new customer of their (have a VPS since 2016 with them) and that's why I don't really know anything about the issues you have mentioned, so I guess they improved a lot because i had zero problems with them.

Erm, these were separate incidents showing their attitude to resiliency, design, cost-cutting at the expense of quality, etc so I'm confused what your comment is supposed to say, that you consider yourself lucky?

• dmtrdmtr Member

@Clouvider said: Erm, these were separate incidents showing their attitude to resiliency, design, cost-cutting at the expense of quality, etc so I'm confused what your comment is supposed to say, that you consider yourself lucky?

My comment was supposed to say that currently I am very happy with their service and would recommend it as reliable. By the way, I still haven't found any evidence of what you said, at least in FR locations, so I don't think it's me who should explain myself right now.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member, Provider

@dodheimsgard said:
    Hey guys

I'm wondering what providers you use for mission-critical stuff?

netcup.de

Great service, minimal stress for me. And great performance with the highest Root Server package.

||SPACEWEB.EU|| 100% SSD Cloud Web Hosting || Cloud DNS System || Directadmin || 10 EUR/YEAR ||

@dmtr said:

@Clouvider said: Erm, these were separate incidents showing their attitude to resiliency, design, cost-cutting at the expense of quality, etc so I'm confused what your comment is supposed to say, that you consider yourself lucky?

My comment was supposed to say that currently I am very happy with their service and would recommend it as reliable. By the way, I still haven't found any evidence of what you said, at least in FR locations, so I don't think it's me who should explain myself right now.

I'm not going to use the searchbox for you.

• dmtrdmtr Member

There is no need, because am not going to judge the hoster that provides good service now for his past. Anyway, Clouvider is ofc better than OVH, hope you're happy now.

@dmtr said:
    There is no need, because am not going to judge the hoster that provides good service now for his past. Anyway, Clouvider is ofc better than OVH, hope you're happy now.

It doesn’t bother me mate, I have nothing to prove to you.

• FHRFHR Member, Provider

OVH is GREAT - when it works. Everything can work fine, but then it breaks one day... don't bother contacting support then. You'll have a much better luck complaining on one of their mailing lists.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

SkylonHost | Affordable Semi-Dedicated VPS - Enjoy performance to the fullest extent. | 40% OFF promo
    Prague, CZ location coming soon!

• m4num4nu Member

The last time OVH broke, it was on the news. Have 2 servers with them and they have been solid so far.

• m4num4nu Member

The last time OVH broke, it was on the news. Have 2 servers with them and they have been solid so far.